Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

SFC Final - Dublin v Mayo - *Read Mod Note in post #1 & #1393*

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Menoetius

blinding wrote: »
    Should Mayo warm up on the Hill end the next day or is this stuff already decided before ....funny if its always decided that the Dubs warm up at the Hill end .

There should be lots drawn.........

It would be a big mistake from Mayo if it's an attempt at mind games.
    What if they do, and the Dubs just ignore it an go to the canal end without any fuss, which I'd expect this Dublin team to do? Mayo would just like they are down the hill end spoiling for a fight while being ignored. Mind games score 1 to the Dubs.

Mayo won't risk it, they know this Dublin team has a totally different mindset to the team of 2006.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,257 ✭✭✭Peist2007

robbiezero wrote: »
    At the moment they are not. They might be after Sunday. But if it was Mayo v Kerry on Sunday, Kerry would be the favourites.

Disagree. Kerry are very overrated and quite ordinary. All will be revealed.

March 2016.

Kerry 2-13 Mayo 0-14

March has little to do with anything. If we judged things as at March 2016 the Rossies would be in the All Ireland Final as reigning Connacht Champions.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,806 ✭✭✭corny

elefant wrote: »
    Agree.

Excellent player, but not sure he warrants the crazy hype at the moment. Like you say, there would be a few other Dublin players I'd be more concerned about.

Agreed.

Actually the danger is he might become known as a the Michael Carrick of the GAA (always going sideways for the non soccer types;)).

Stick him closer to goal, tell him to be more direct and he's a class act.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

Peist2007 wrote: »
    At the moment they are not. They might be after Sunday. But if it was Mayo v Kerry on Sunday, Kerry would be the favourites.

So a Kerry team who beat Tipperary by 10 points this summer is overrated. Where does that leave a Mayo team that only beat them by 5 points?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,464 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

kilns wrote: »
    So a Kerry team who beat Tipperary by 10 points this summer is overrated. Where does that leave a Mayo team that only beat them by 5 points?

Kerry and Mayo are pretty much on a par in my opinion.

Heck the last time they played at this level it went to extra time in a replay.

Oh yea and I forgot.

Galway beat Mayo and Tipp beat Galway so Tipp are better than Mayo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭robbiezero

Not sure if they are over-rated. They are hardly ordinary. They aren't a patch on the great side of last decade, but they still have only been beaten by Dublin in the Championship in the last 3 years and have knocked out Tyrone, Mayo and Donegal in that time. If Mayo beat Dublin on Sunday, then yes Mayo are a better team, if they don't then they aren't - they are on a par at the very most depending on the manner of the loss.

Oh yea and I forgot.

Galway beat Mayo and Tipp beat Galway so Tipp are better than Mayo.
    Well it is a logical argument considering the OP called Kerry overrated and both teams have played that same team. Mayo have done nothing this year to make that call about any team.

Well it is a logical argument considering the OP called Kerry overrated and both teams have played that same team. Mayo have done nothing this year to make that call about any team.

You can't just look at the score in two games a decide that one is better than the other.

Its more complex than that.

I think Mayo match up better v Dublin than Kerry because they are younger and fitter.

But as I said I'd put Mayo and Kerry about the same right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,952 ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Peist2007 wrote:

Ahh they'd be the favourites though, I'd bet on Mayo winning but Kerry would be favourites alright imo.

You can't just look at the score in two games a decide that one is better than the other.

Its more complex than that.

I think Mayo match up better v Dublin than Kerry because they are younger and fitter.

But as I said I'd put Mayo and Kerry about the same right now.
    But on the other side, you can claim Kerry carry a bigger scoring threat and have better forwards than Mayo

But the original poster called Kerry overrated and if he calling them overrated compared to the Mayo team of this year than he is mistaken and hugely overrating this current Mayo team

• Registered Users Posts: 1,619 ✭✭✭harpsman

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Sigh.....

The dressing rooms are assigned alphabetically. You warm up at the same end of the pitch as your dressing room. As Dublin's name (as Gaeilge) starts with an A, they will get the A dressing room, which is down the Hill end, more often than not. Conspiracy theories this way please
    > :rolleyes:
    So they warm up at the Canal End when playing Ard Mhacha(apol if said already and for spelling)? I bet not

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

March has little to do with anything. If we judged things as at March 2016 the Rossies would be in the All Ireland Final as reigning Connacht Champions.

Ok so where is your evidence that Mayo are better than Kerry?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,762 ✭✭✭jive

Anyone saying Mayo would be favourites going up against Kerry in the AI final this year need their heads checked. If Kerry beat the unsinkable Dublin they would be red hot favourites heading into Sunday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,386 ✭✭✭✭DDC1990

Peist2007 wrote:

Your right things are judged in September.

Mayo haven't won an All Ireland in 65 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Arse Biscuits

Ha, so Cluxton's errors accounted for an "obliteration" of points!!

what do you think Arse Biscuits or were you just going to sit and watch the comments and throw digs when noone was talking!!

No I don't throw digs, just asked a simple question and no need for the smart comments.
    As for the game itself Dublin could win by 8+ points. This is possibly one of the best sides to play the game. Yes they are missing two current All Stars but they've class and match winners on every line of the field and I don't think that can't be said for Mayo. You don't go winning 25 odd games in a row being poor and I feel Mayo can't and won't turn on form like it's a tap. You mention that they were beaten by a very good Galway side but that's pure nonsense. Galway are a poor side and not even a top 8 county.

Mayo won't have their day on Sunday

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,050 ✭✭✭✭The Talking Bread

In fairness it was a smart comment by you! You knew well it was the thread. And then didn't contribute yourself! So hardly a question! was only having a joke. So what about a hand full of posts! .

Anyway let's not fall out!

In fairness it was a smart comment by you! You knew well it was the thread. And then didn't contribute yourself! So hardly a question! was only having a joke. So what about a hand full of posts! .

Anyway let's not fall out!

• Registered Users Posts: 823 ✭✭✭Kauto

jive wrote: »
    Anyone saying Mayo would be favourites going up against Kerry in the AI final this year need their heads checked. If Kerry beat the unsinkable Dublin they would be red hot favourites heading into Sunday.

They wouldnt be. Id say Mayo would have s h it the bed going in against Kerry after past expierences in finals. They would much prefer to play Dublin.

Having said that, Kerry had how many fellas aged 32+ playing? Worst Kerry side in living memory.

Mayo have every chance of winning this game.

• Advertisement

Kauto wrote: »

They wouldnt be. Id say Mayo would have s h it the bed going in against Kerry after past expierences in finals. They would much prefer to play Dublin.

Having said that, Kerry had how many fellas aged 32+ playing? Worst Kerry side in living memory.

Mayo have every chance of winning this game.
    A Dublin team whom they have not beaten in years?

Worst Kerry side in living memory, I seem to remember the late 80s to mid 90s quite bleak.

Mayo have every chance of winning this game only if Dublin play at 80% of their ability

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭Blud

harpsman wrote: »
    So they warm up at the Canal End when playing Ard Mhacha(apol if said already and for spelling)? I bet not

Well they played An Mhi and An Ciarrai this year too, what end and what dressing room did they get there?

Truth is, Dublin get the home dressing room and choice of everything at Croker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 419 ✭✭Blud

Erm... We're in an All Ireland final on Sunday. Are Kerry?

Surely that is better evidence than a league game in March?

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Menoetius

Blud wrote: »

They have to pay for the hot dogs the same as anyone.

harpsman wrote: »

Well they played An Mhi and An Ciarrai this year too, what end and what dressing room did they get there?

Yeah they even demanded the seats are painted blue awful stuff

Worst Kerry side in living memory, I seem to remember the late 80s to mid 90s quite bleak.

Mayo have every chance of winning this game only if Dublin play at 80% of their ability

Teams rarely play to 80-90% of their ability. There are always players who perform under par on the big day on winning teams. Dublin will probably play to 80% and maybe it will be good enough.

I backed Mayo earlier in the year and am sticking with them now. Love their profile compared to previous years. Coming into a final playing poorly. Can only go one way this time.

As for Dublin, Dean Rock is due a mare of a game. Had a mare last year against Mayo and has yet to have one this year.
    McMememin kicked two of his left in the semi which he wouldn't hit again if he had 100 attempts.
    Dublin's bench is also not as good as some people would lead you to believe.

Teams rarely play to 80-90% of their ability. There are always players who perform under par on the big day on winning teams. Dublin will probably play to 80% and maybe it will be good enough.

I backed Mayo earlier in the year and am sticking with them now. Love their profile compared to previous years. Coming into a final playing poorly. Can only go one way this time.

As for Dublin, Dean Rock is due a mare of a game. Had a mare last year against Mayo and has yet to have one this year.
    McMememin kicked two of his left in the semi which he wouldn't hit again if he had 100 attempts.
    Dublin's bench is also not as good as some people would lead you to believe.
    So they have come into the game playing poorly all season, all of a sudden they will turn it around and play the game of their lives, doubtful

Rock has improved massively and has been very consistent, but the difference with this Dublin team and all the other teams is that if Rock doesnt perform, someone else steps up.

Your words about McMenamin will come back to haunt you I am sure.

Mayo dont have the forwards to frighten Dublin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Moo Moo Land

Erm... We're in an All Ireland final on Sunday. Are Kerry?

Surely that is better evidence than a league game in March?

That's the luck of the draw chief ;)

Mayo have never beaten Kerry in an All Ireland final.
    Galway haven't beaten Kerry in an All Ireland final since 1965.

So they have come into the game playing poorly all season, all of a sudden they will turn it around and play the game of their lives, doubtful

Rock has improved massively and has been very consistent, but the difference with this Dublin team and all the other teams is that if Rock doesnt perform, someone else steps up.

Your words about McMenamin will come back to haunt you I am sure.

All about peaking for one day. Would far prefer to reach a final playing poorly than reach one playing well.

If Rock doesnt perform on frees you dont have anyone else to hit them bar Cluxton and id say Mayo will be delighted if he has to start taking them.

As for Mayo not having the forwards, they probably do lack another scoring forward.

• Advertisement

If you can point me to two games of football that are/were entirely identical from throw-in to final whistle i will give your question another glance

If Mayo beat Dublin on Sunday, then yes Mayo are a better team,

I would have to disagree with that also. Dublin are clearly a better team with a better overall squad also. Sport is a beautiful thing though.

They didnt though because they couldnt.

DDC1990 wrote: »
    Your right things are judged in September 2016.

Mayo haven't won an All Ireland in 65 years.

FYP

64 years of your comment are completely irrelevant. Let's hope your Dub heroes also appreciate that fact ;)

Sure you wouldnt understand the evidence if you're asking me questions like that :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,145 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

If on top of their game Andy Moran, Aidan O'Shea, Cillian and Diarmuid O'Connor will frighten Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

If on top of their game Andy Moran, Aidan O'Shea, Cillian and Diarmuid O'Shea will frighten Dublin.

I don't think Cillian and Diarmuid O'Shea are going to be frightening anyone, quite frankly. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,775 ✭✭✭✭Slattsy

If on top of their game Andy Moran, Aidan O'Shea, Cillian and Diarmuid O'Shea will frighten Dublin.

Go home you're drunk.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭puma90

Anyone have a ticket or 2 for sale?? ❤💚

puma90 wrote: »
    Anyone have a ticket or 2 for sale?? ❤💚

good luck with that!!

but seriously, good luck, hope you get them!

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Arse Biscuits

Cillian is no where near the top forward he once had the potential to be and isn't scoring from play consistently.
    Diarmuid isn't 100% fit and was clearly injured against Tipp.
    Aido is Aido and will run out of steam after running up cul de sacs
    Moran is the most dangerous forward but won't last the full 70.

How many of the Mayo forwards would start for the Dubs?I think at a push one.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

As usual at this time of year, the mod note in post #1 is up. No excuses.

bc2b1637594e4511f1c0175abd3586ed.jpg

None of those would score more than 3 points from play.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,850 ✭✭✭Panrich

Cillian is no where near the top forward he once had the potential to be and isn't scoring from play consistently.

I hope that they take pity on us and don't push on remorselessly when the game is already won. Our lads don't deserve a bad beating as they have always tried their best but I didn't realise how far off we were.

In the interests of international peace & cooperation & cross border reconciliation, I'll just throw this up.

(Prepare to do some serious cringing. :D )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

In the interests of international peace & cooperation & cross border reconciliation, I'll just throw this up.

(Prepare to do some serious cringing. :D )

And Dublins song have all been classics!:D:D:D

Don't make me throw up some Dubliners or Luke Kelly videos. I don't want to turn this into a blood bath.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,294 ✭✭✭Kalyke

Don't make me throw up some Dubliners or Luke Kelly videos. I don't want to turn this into a blood bath.
    ANY Dublin song would make me throw up:pac::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 343 ✭✭toffeeshel

All about peaking for one day. Would far prefer to reach a final playing poorly than reach one playing well.

If Rock doesnt perform on frees you dont have anyone else to hit them bar Cluxton and id say Mayo will be delighted if he has to start taking them.

As for Mayo not having the forwards, they probably do lack another scoring forward.

Cormac Costello

• Registered Users Posts: 3,019 ✭✭✭TCDStudent1

Interesting question. If I was to pick a forward line from the 2 teams, I would go with:

10. D. O'Connor (despite his up & down form this year, he is pure quality& a month off before the final may do him a lot of good. A month is a long time to get your body prepared for a match).

11. C. Kilkenny
    12. D. Connolly
    13. K. McManaman
    14. A. Moran
    15. B. Brogan (on current form, there could be a case for D. Rock, or even A. O'Sé here)

So I'd give Mayo at least 2 out of the 6, which isnt bad. You look at Andrews & Mannion not starting for Dublin though - both would walk onto that Mayo forward line.

toffeeshel wrote: »
    Cormac Costello

And some fella called Bernard Brogan. Anyone ever heard of him? :rolleyes:

We won two All Irelands, two league titles and God knows how many Leinsters, with him being the primary free taker. Deano only became the main man in 2015.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement