Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Deer photo's for the 2016 season.

Options
  • 29-08-2016 7:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭

Just thought I'd start a thread for the deer shot this season.

So here is the only head I have to show. Shot in 2013.

IMG_2110_zps78wlzqme.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

First deer for the season was this nice pricket. Shot on the 1st September.
    I had just walked across an a joining field at first light so how the pricket didn't see me I don't know.
    I saw him at 100y and went prone for the shot, then waited for him to turn for side on. As the light was only just up and I wanted to get my first on the first I took the usual body shot. Pricket walked 5 steps and dropped dead.
    Did the groloch & then a 200y uphill drag to where I could get the van near (feck I'm not fit), 1 mile contented walk back to pick up the van.

395996.jpg

395995.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭zlezlius

This young buck shot at 50 meters(sneaked in from 350 meters) what a stalk it was! First one for this season.

IMAG0438.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭zlezlius

This morning's buck .Napier Auto click worked great.

IMAG0545.jpg

Nice pricket neck shot @145y yesterday. Great condition and plenty of meat on him from all the grass feeding.
    Sako 75 laminated fluted varmint, in .308 cal. shoots sub MOA. Bushnell 4200 tactical elite 6-24x50mm.

397897.jpg

397898.jpg

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Jaysus, he's a stumpy fecker. :D

I'm being very picky this year so nothing yet. However i'm enjoying the pictures and success of others so keep them coming.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Advertisement

Cass wrote: »
    Jaysus, he's a stumpy fecker. :D

I'm being very picky this year so nothing yet. However i'm enjoying the pictures and success of others so keep them coming.

"Jaysus, he's a stumpy fecker" much like meself :D

Well fed animals with plenty of grass to eat.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Forty Watt

Despite a pair of unbelievably loud Spanish hillwalkers climbing the next ridge, this nice pricket stayed around long enough for me to get comfortable and take the shot. As I crawled into position the dog gave me a knowing look as if to say "wtf are they shouting about?".

Forty Watt wrote: »
    Despite a pair of unbelievably loud Spanish hillwalkers climbing the next ridge, this nice pricket stayed around long enough for me to get comfortable and take the shot. As I crawled into position the dog gave me a knowing look as if to say "wtf are they shouting about?".

Fine looking animal.
    Great when you can upset the hillwalkers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,849 ✭✭✭Odelay

Forty Watt wrote: »

What is the pouch around the dogs neck? His sandwiches? :0 Never seen a pack/collar like that before.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Although I don't hunt deer I've noticed a serious drop in numbers when I've been out rambling.
    I've only seen a handful in past 6 months and normally I'd be nearly tripping up over them.

• Advertisement

Although I don't hunt deer I've noticed a serious drop in numbers when I've been out rambling.
    I've only seen a handful in past 6 months and normally I'd be nearly tripping up over them.

Seen the usual number, more even this year out early in the day. Only been out a couple of times and managed to get those 2 prickets.
    Looking at a new place tomorrow near Waterford. Here's hoping it turns up good.

• Registered Users Posts: 148 ✭✭stevep1018

I got two nice prickets the weekend.lovely black pelt on the one shot Saturday morning so I'm going to be saving that.one I got Sunday evening was a very big animal.these are new permissions I got so I'm very impressed with what I'm seeing.i got a couple of nice pics of baby bambis so that keeps my kids happy that I don't shoot all the deer.I've had a slow start this year but that has changed lately.suppose being surrounded by thousands of acers of forestry stones throw from my house helps.and sorry about the no pics but I can't add them.admin tried to help but no joy

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Forty Watt

its a sportdog training collar. Used it for initial training (chase the deer or livestock and receive a warning beep, ignore it and get zapped) and now its a part of the routine. collar goes on and dog knows its time to get serious.

Pics finally added for the two prickets I got last weekend. Thanks Cass for the help

First good Buck this season. Shot in the field to right of the stand. Ran about 35y and dropped. Nice clean kill with no meat damage and small exit wound.

405025.jpg

405027.jpg

Two stags from yesterday. 1 hour drag back to the car for each.easy enough shots,about 150 and 170 yard's. A big doe then this evening for my troubles. 50 yards and short drag.all neckbshots

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Completely jealous of all the good quality stags and bucks lads are getting. Seeing feck all in that quality myself, and after today it's too late, till next season.

Well done to all.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Completely jealous of all the good quality stags and bucks lads are getting. Seeing feck all in that quality myself, and after today it's too late, till next season.

Well done to all.

Thanks cass.id happily invite you to my part of the country next season for a good stag or just a good days shooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Well done to all.

Took two nice Sika Stags off a new permission this year (pictures to follow), but a big Red I have been seeing with a Royal Head has eluded me as he was only showing on darkness and now all I can hope is that he survives past the rut next season.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,310 ✭✭✭Pkiernan

Took two nice Sika Stags off a new permission this year (pictures to follow), but a big Red I have been seeing with a Royal Head has eluded me as he was only showing on darkness and now all I can hope is that he survives past the rut next season.

Tell us where you're seeing him and I'll try to make sure noone gets him!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,759 ✭✭✭cookimonster

Pkiernan wrote: »
    Tell us where you're seeing him and I'll try to make sure noone gets him!!

Thanks for that, he's coming out just on darkness from the right hand corner of the last field against the wood on your left just past the barn on Jim M@$?en's farm, outside of At@&+ny Co Meath.......

......sh*t I think I picked up a dose of dyslexia on duty the other day...

....when I get back my literacy I send you and the lads the address and we'll figure out a roster to keep watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

[Mod Note]Forum rules for those who do not personally approve of hunting are clearly laid out in the forum charter. Several posts have been deleted because of those rules being breached.[/Mod Note]

Can anyone tell me where I might find a "ballpoint skinning knife ".I saw one on a YouTube video and I want to get one.i know what your thinking.......why.i just have a small fetish for knives

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Buggs

stevep1018 wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me where I might find a "ballpoint skinning knife ".I saw one on a YouTube video and I want to get one.i know what your thinking.......why.i just have a small fetish for knives

I think what you are looking for is a tripe knife.

Buggs wrote: »
    I think what you are looking for is a tripe knife.

Thanks for that.now just to find one

• Registered Users Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Chiparus

Advertisement