Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Primary School Grinds Available

Options
  • 29-08-2016 8:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 8

I'm a NQT Primary Teacher and was wondering how to go about advertising my availability for grinds?
    Should I just post it in the local newspaper?
    How much should I charge?
    Would they mostly be approx 45mins grinds?
    Should I be best to drive in my car to their home (and then charge a bit extra for petrol) or get them to come to my house where I can have everything organised?
    Is there EVEN a demand for these?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MrJones1973

I would try schooldays.ie and advertise there. I have no connection with the site just found it useful. Yes there is demand but depends where you live. South dublin obviously has lots of money but outside of that you are talking major towns. You dont want to spend more than 20 minutes travelling.

I would charge minimum 30 euro but look at various grind sites for information. They will give you idea of what to charge but factor in petrol and traveling time. If you have to go half an hour and ten miles then your rate is effectively 15 an hour for one grind (assuming you charged 30 and you have just spent two hours on it)

Never commit to doing more than 3 as it can easily happen it doesnt suit you. Say you will review after 3 and occassionaly it wont suit them.
    Advertise in supermarkets and if you have friends in other schools let them know as thy might have kids who need extra help.

Make it clear if they cancel on day they pay unless a death has occurred, Get them to come to you if at all possible. Dont worry about the authorities too much if its small scale. I would not advertise in local paper try internet and supermarkets first. Try one or 2 at first as they are a big commitment.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

Did you advertise successfully?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,372 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I have never heard of a primary kid getting grinds.

Does it happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭sheff the ref

Geuze wrote: »
    I have never heard of a primary kid getting grinds.

Does it happen?

Yes it does for a number of reasons including these

1.A student can be aiming for a Secondary School scholarship and be preparing for that

2.A student can miss time in school due to illness or injury and fall behind

3.A student can find some topics difficult to grasp in a subject such as maths and might need the extra bit of one on one tuition to clear the hurdle

4.A student with a learning need may need extra one on one support

Advertisement