Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SkyHub Cloud 2TB Backup: Lifetime Subscription

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,317 ✭✭✭davo2001

Life time subscription until they take your money and pack it in, in 6 months to a year.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

https://www.backblaze.com/cloud-backup.html

Backblaze are around a long time and offer unlimited backup for a good price. I would be going with them if your intention was to buy a service to work as disaster recovery in case your computer explodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭Farnsworth

https://www.backblaze.com/cloud-backup.html

Backblaze are around a long time and offer unlimited backup for a good price. I would be going with them if your intention was to buy a service to work as disaster recovery in case your computer explodes.

Thats $50 a year but for unlimited data backup

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Farnsworth wrote: »
    Thats $50 a year but for unlimited data backup

Correct.

The point being that backblaze are a long standing and reliable backup solution. I would have my doubts that the company offering this 2TB deal will last all that long.

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

These services do go belly up occasionally, even if backed by reputable companies.
    I had a copy.com account (owned by Barracuda Networks, NASDAQ listed US company with $1.2bn market cap) which had a lot of customization, links and automation that I had built around it as I thought it was a very dependable, long-term bet. To my surprise they pulled the plug a few months as the company "re-focussed activities away from Consumer towards Enterprise"

As in the case for VPN services, I would never buy a "lifetime subscription"... the space is too crowded to bet on a single company/service lasting more than a few years

just my 2 cents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65,314 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

yoshimitsu wrote: »
    These services do go belly up occasionally, even if backed by reputable companies.

Backup your important data with Microsoft AND Google. In case you lose your data and they both lose your data at the same time too, it's likely we're all dead anyway :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,318 ✭✭✭dunworth1

Something called skyhub

Sky will be suing them shortly so they wouldn't last very long

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭_kookie

unkel wrote: »
    Backup your important data with Microsoft AND Google. In case you lose your data and they both lose your data at the same time too, it's likely we're all dead anyway :p

How much free space to microsoft give you these days?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

_kookie wrote: »
    How much free space to microsoft give you these days?

For OneDrive storage:
    5GB for free.
    50GB for €2/month.
    1TB for €7/month.

Office365 home also includes 1TB @ €10/month.

OneDrive, Dropbox, etc. home editions are not a backup solution however, if your PC gets Crypto'd or the files get deleted, it will simply sync all of the local changes straight up to the cloud so usually by the time you notice your files have gone it will be too late to go to restore.

Any company that gives you a "lifetime" subscription for a one off payment, or unlimited data for a flat fee won't last.

It just isn't economically feasible to do so and usually you will get a few people who take the piss and ruin it for everyone (e.g. when OneDrive offered unlimited storage they had to revert back a short while later as people were pushing 100's of TB onto their account).

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭_kookie

Kensington wrote: »
    For OneDrive storage:
    5GB for free.
    50GB for €2/month.
    1TB for €7/month.

OneDrive, Dropbox, etc. home editions are not a backup solution however, if your PC gets Crypto'd or the files get deleted, it will simply sync all of the local changes straight up to the cloud so usually by the time you notice your files have gone it will be too late to go to restore.

Any company that gives you a "lifetime" subscription for a one off payment, or unlimited data for a flat fee won't last.

It just isn't economically feasible to do so and usually you will get a few people who take the piss and ruin it for everyone (e.g. when OneDrive offered unlimited storage they had to revert back a short while later as people were pushing 100's of TB onto their account).

That sounds reasonable enough. I currently use google, but like you say, an alternative backup is a good idea too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭yoshimitsu

Kensington wrote: »
    For OneDrive storage:
    5GB for free.
    50GB for €2/month.
    1TB for €7/month.

I bought a Office365 Personal pre-paid card for 12 months of service for €28 on eBay. I bought it solely for the 1TB OneDrive allowance as I already have Office on all my devices. It comes out to €2.3/month vs €7 for just getting the additional data allowance for OneDrive.
    With 1TB you can do proper back-ups of all your critical data

I want all you guys to know that this looks like a Scam

I bought this on 5th Aug of so called "Life Time" subscription, paid via PayPal

Recently got an email from them that they are closing down and they have closed my account

I think they were waiting for 45 day period of PayPal within which you could claim refund from PayPal

Please see attached
    is there any way we can report this or I could get my money back

Its a good way to gather money, offer a good deal too good be true, sell few hundred accounts, wait for 45 days so people cant open a claim in PayPal then close saying business is not yielding as it was envisaged

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

hit PayPal anyway, I've got money back once after 7 (or 8?) months when my hosting provided disappeared overnight. it's been some time since though

hit PayPal anyway, I've got money back once after 7 (or 8?) months when my hosting provided disappeared overnight. it's been some time since though

Thanks for your good suggestion
    PayPal have changed their policy and now allow more than 45 days to claim

Anyway I have opened a case on PayPal

Wont probably need money back but try to make it difficult for them so they think twice before they rob anyone

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

That Zoolz special offer for Skyhub customers is available to everyone

It also appears that Skyhub were just reselling Zoolz anyway.

The whole thing sounds really dodgy.

• Registered Users Posts: 796 ✭✭✭FobleAsNuck

read post #2 and apply every time you see an offer for "lifetime subscription" at fixed price

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭ElNino

If you paid Paypal by credit card then you can do a charge back with your credit card company and you will get your money back. However Paypal probably won't like that and may close your account. So go through the Paypal internal procedures first.

Advertisement