Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heads up on Centra 'offer'

• 29-08-2016 9:57am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭

They're pushing twin packs of Coca Cola products for 'only' 3.50 but they're selling them individually for 1.35. Not sure about the other minerals but keep an eye out on their 'buy two' offers.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

It depends on what you mean by "pushing".

Are they very prominently displayed compared to the single one?
    did the member of staff try to persuade you or someone else to buy the twin pack specifically?

Occasionally a manufacturer-driven promotion on a single pack will make it cheaper than a twin pack's all year round price.
    I think it would it unreasonable to expect the retailer to have to remove the stock of the twin pack every time such a situation arises.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,282 ✭✭✭MyKeyG

Well it's the first thing you see when you walk in the door and the individual minerals are two aisles back.

And to be fair I did state that the twin pack is being promoted at 'only' 3.50 constituting an offer and therefore not an 'all year round' RRP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

In tesco its pretty much 50/50 if the twin packs are cheaper.

I like this practice, the non-checking idiots who blindly buy the larger size or mulitpacks or things they are told are offers are likely subsidising my shopping basket.

I am guessing these are 1.75L bottles, in which case 1.35 is unsually cheap for the likes of centra. At the moment 1.75L is €2 in tesco or 3 for 4.50, so even if you go and buy 3 they are still 1.50 each.

yet another "rip off" thread that should really be in bargain alerts, if it is the 1.75L

rubadub wrote: »
    I like this practice, the non-checking idiots who blindly buy the larger size or mulitpacks or things they are told are offers are likely subsidising my shopping basket.
    What about the parent who needs to get the shopping done before picking up the kids from school and doesn't have time to look at every price on variations of the same item?
    yet another "rip off" thread that should really be in bargain alerts, if it is the 1.75L
    Completely your opinion born of a poor attitude.

MyKeyG wrote: »
    What about the parent who needs to get the shopping done before picking up the kids from school and doesn't have time to look at every price on variations of the same item?
    Then they might lose out, as would others who do not have time to check for whatever reason. In other threads I have thanked these people for paying over the odds. Some people value their time more than searching for bargains, many travel around and it is definitely a false economy for some, travelling miles to save a euro.

The poor auld parent is bad choice, in this forum it's usually the poor old 1 legged granny that gets pulled out for the pity violins.
    Completely your opinion born of a poor attitude.
    Well I was not being sarcastic, I think many would be of the opinion that it would be a bargain. You should be posting this great deal in the bargain alerts forum, I expect you would get more thanks and help more people out posting it there, if indeed you do want to help people. Can you confirm if it is 1.75L for 1.35 and which centra this was.

• Advertisement

Well I was not being sarcastic...the non-checking idiots
    No just rude. That's the attitude I was referring to. I envy you your copious free time which evidently bodes well for the subsidisation of your shopping basket.
    I think many would be of the opinion that it would be a bargain. You should be posting this great deal in the bargain alerts forum
    I'm not sure if you're being intentionally obtuse but you seem to refuse to take my point. €1.35 is indeed a fine bargain and there's nobody stopping you from bouncing over to the Bargains board and announcing it to the world. My point is it should be promoted as the bargain in store but it's not. The twin packs are the first thing you see; it's the more expensive product that's being pushed as the 'offer' and therefore the bargain.
    can you confirm if it's the 1.75L for 1,359(sic)
    Yes it's one 1.75L bottle at €1.35 two aisles back amongst the competitors and a 1.75L twin pack for €3.50 on it's own stand in full view.

Incidentally the location of the shop is irrelevant as it would be unfair to single out a single franchise unit with someone's name over the door if it's happening countrywide. I don't know if it is; I was merely giving a heads up to Boarders in case it was the same in their neck of the woods.

I anticipate we're not going to see eye to on this and I'm disinclined to flog a dead horse but as I said feel free to head over to the bargains page and go nuts.

€1.35 is indeed a fine bargain and there's nobody stopping you from bouncing over to the Bargains board and announcing it to the world.
    I would but you still refuse to say where the shop is :rolleyes: Unreal, and you are still making out like actually you want to help people. It is likely to be a pricing mistake in that shop.

Many posts in this forum beggar belief. I remember one moron thought shops were actually legally obliged to sell bigger pack or mulitpacks at a cheaper rate. Still, crap like this gives me a good laugh.

you are still making out like actually you want to help people.
    When did I ever make such a claim? I said I was giving a heads up about something I witnessed in a franchise shop; people can take it any way they want. If I had printed it on paper and you used it to wipe your behind it wouldn't phase me one bit.
    Still, crap like this gives me a good laugh.
    You really need to get out more. All that time spent checking prices and arguing on Boards your life will just pass you by.

Anyway buy two single bottles; buy a double pack. Preach the word on the Bargains board or don't. Frankly my dear! I don't give a damn!!

Therefore! As the old saying goes 'never argue with a fool, passersby mightn't tell who's who' so I'll bid you adieu but best of luck with your disparaging attitude going forward; I'm sure it'll work for you one day.

When did I ever make such a claim? I said I was giving a heads up about something
    I would call "giving a heads up" helping someone out.
    .You really need to get out more. All that time spent checking prices and arguing on Boards your life will just pass you by..
    You're the one who started this useless thread, you STILL will not even tell people where the bargain is FFS. It takes very little time to check prices, you did it yourself afterall...

Preach the word on the Bargains board or don't.
    There is nothing to tell as I said, it's likely a misprice in only that mystery store of yours. Did you even buy it yourself? it might have rang up at a higher price. A 500ml of coke is €1.35 in tesco.
    I'll bid you adieu but best of luck with your disparaging attitude going forward; I'm sure it'll work for you one day.
    Yep, hopefully we will see a decline in useless moronic threads like this one. People like yourself might finally cop on.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭EIRE1922

I went into my local Centra today to buy a Crunchie. It was priced at €1.55. WTF? I decided not to buy it at such an over inflated price and walked out as I refuse to pay that crazy price! That is £1.22 in old Irish punts. What a rip-off!

I bought a Cadbury Crunchie in July in Newry for 57p. They are usually around 59p & 60p in England too. Better off sticking to the multi-packs of 3's or 4's which are on offer a €1.00, €1.50, or €2.00!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

EIRE1922 wrote: »
    I went into my local Centra today to buy a Crunchie. It was priced at €1.55. WTF? I decided not to buy it at such an over inflated price and walked out as I refuse to pay that crazy price! That is £1.22 in old Irish punts. What a rip-off!

I bought a Cadbury Crunchie in July in Newry for 57p. They are usually around 59p & 60p in England too. Better off sticking to the multi-packs of 3's or 4's which are on offer a €1.00, €1.50, or €2.00!

You are so incensed you have posted this twice!

A I said in a reply in the other thread, you pay more in convenience stores. That is the case, that has always been the case. Irealnd, UK, France USA, worldwide.

WH Smith in Coventry cahrges £1.15-£1.30 for a bar, a bottle of coke is £1.65. A tesco express a few doors away charges about 30% less, but sometimes time is more valuable.

Get over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,413 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Walter2016 wrote: »
    You are so incensed you have posted this twice!

Three times. If it'd been triple the normal single unit price, that might have been a ripoff worth posting three times!

Advertisement