Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Blackberry wine ratios , my first attempt

• 29-08-2016 10:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 548 ✭✭✭

Hi all ,

This Autumn I'm taking a Shot at Blackberry wine . I'm ordering the equipment from Homebrew west and following online recipes . The one thing I'm stuck on is the ratios of Blackberries to water to sugar to final output if you get my meaning .I'd like to finish up with 2 x 5 litre Demijohns of wine at the end . That's 10 Litres .

But most of the recipes I have found online are for specific amounts this one for example is for 3.8 Litres ,

"To make 1 gallon (3.8 L) / 6 bottles of wine:
    • 4 1/2 - 6 lbs of fresh blackberries
    • 2 1/2 lbs of sugar
    • 7 pints water
    • 1 package yeast (Red Wine Yeast is recommended)"
    So my thinking is that I could simply do the maths and tweak this recipe so that I end up with 10Litres instead of 3.8 Litres ?

Would this work out ? Thanks for reading and any advice or insights are much appreciated ,

Barry

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

Just remember those are american gallons and pints in the recipe.
    One of the benefits of the metric system, units of volume are the same in every country. Also they don't have the same unit name for mass and volume and snow leopards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

hi was about to post my own topic,but gonna see if anyone else pitches in,on similar questions.

To answer yours last year ive picked around 5.5kgs of blackberries and used 5kgs sugar and 10 l of water ,thus making total water content of around 13l water.Once raked managed to get two gallons of demi joghns which measured were about 4.5l each and 2 wine bottles extra.

that said my ratios were 1:1:2 as in berries,sugar,water thought wine would be to thick but in the end came out perfect at around 14%+ alcohol,sweet and sour taste going hand in hand and maybe 10% more dense then say average wine .

My question for this years harvest managed to pick only 4.3kgs berries and used 5kgs sugar with 12l of water

Got fermentation going already as in day one after killing any wild yeast after camden tabs,but initially only added 4kgs sugar thus tonight mixed in 0.5l hot water into kg of sugar and poured that into must.

Just to realize that might as well easily could messed up the yeast while doing so,but given ratio of water used and berries being not so ripe in juice as last years,thought to make it more dense and compensate for sugar content lack.

Thus similar question am i looking at watery wine,since comparing last year by my estimates i could of used at least 3-5l of water more when it came to outcome of wine density.
    Thus this year ratios are 1:1.5:3 berries,sugar,water making total volume of 22l in fermenting bucket.

while berries amounted to almost 5l of content and total of 6l with sugar in fermenting bucket going by volume,thus imagine will be having around 15l of wine after couple racks.

BTW them glass demi Johns arent 5l as mentioned above think they are 4.7l if remember correctly whatever way they go by gallon it differs here in liters since got exactly 6.5 full bottles of wine from each .

Advertisement