Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying Used Car - First Car - Yaris/Micra - Big Hills

Options
  • 29-08-2016 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi Boards,

Looking for public opinion on used car buying.

Use: Lots of travel, a lot of uphill (I live in the Wicklow Mountains).

Budget: 2000 - 3500

Research: Looking at Toyota Yaris/Nissan Micra 2004 - 2008, Leinster area but currently based in Dublin/Wicklow, buying from dealers.

I would like advice on:

- other compact models that are reliable second hand.
    - how important is it that the dealer is registered with SIMI for my consumer rights?
    - if I will be driving uphill a lot, should I avoid a 1/1.1 engine? If so, can you recommend other models within my price range?
    - Is 100€ a normal quote for a call0out mechanic (Allvech) or is there a better one? If so, where?
    - Quoted a thirty day warranty on a 2004 yaris (evra motors). Is this something to be wary of or normal?
    - Should a mechanic always be called out to check a car before purchase?
    -

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

I had a 2003 K12 Micra (1 litre engine) for a number of years and it did a lot of miles in and around Wicklow. Never had any problems going up and down hills even during the bad winters of 2009 and 2010.

Just be careful of the 2003 and 2004 micra's as they had known issues with timing chains and the chains are very expensive to replace. If going for a micra from that year ask if the original timing chain is still in place - if it is i'd be wary.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I'd say there are very few hills in Ireland that a micra or yaris wouldn't do day in day out with one or two people and a bit of shopping.

If you have concerns about snow and ice, or heavier hauling maybe you need to reconsider.

My opinion, fwiw.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,067 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

momoo wrote: »

- other compact models that are reliable second hand.

In that size range probably Honda Jazz, Suzuki Swift, Fiat Panda, Mitsubishi Colt.
    - how important is it that the dealer is registered with SIMI for my consumer rights?
    AFAIR, makes no difference whatsoever.
    Generally in Ireland consumer rights when buying second hand car from a dealer is one thing, and executing them in case something goes wrong is another...
    I would go buying privately to save money.

- if I will be driving uphill a lot, should I avoid a 1/1.1 engine? If so, can you recommend other models within my price range?
    There are no mountains in Ireland high enough to make a car struggle (unless you're planning on towing with that car).
    However I wouldn't be going with small engine anyway just for own driving comfort, not only on the hills, but anywhere else.
    - Quoted a thirty day warranty on a 2004 yaris (evra motors). Is this something to be wary of or normal?
    Probably depends on vehicle age (the older the shorter the warrany), but as above - IMO those warranties are not worth the paper they are written on.
    Better buy privately upon properly checking vehicle.
    - Should a mechanic always be called out to check a car before purchase?
    -
    If you are not skilled enough to check the car yourself, then IMO definitely. Bad idea to buy a car without having someone knowledgable to check it before hand - no matter if you're buying privately or from a dealer.

Advertisement