Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Buying used car - first car - Yaris/Micra - big hills

Options
  • 29-08-2016 11:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi Boards,

Looking for public opinion on used car buying.

Use: Lots of travel, a lot of uphill (I live in the Wicklow Mountains).

Budget: 2000 - 3500

Research: Looking at Toyota Yaris/Nissan Micra 2004 - 2008, Leinster area but currently based in Dublin/Wicklow, buying from dealers.

I would like advice on:

- other compact models that are reliable second hand.
    - how important is it that the dealer is registered with SIMI for my consumer rights?
    - if I will be driving uphill a lot, should I avoid a 1/1.1 engine? If so, can you recommend other models within my price range?
    - Is 100€ a normal quote for a call0out mechanic (Allvech) or is there a better one? If so, where?
    - Quoted a thirty day warranty on a 2004 yaris (evra motors). Is this something to be wary of or normal?
    - Should a mechanic always be called out to check a car before purchase?

Any thoughts are a lot of help-
    Cheers! Molly

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

momoo wrote: »
    - how important is it that the dealer is registered with SIMI for my consumer rights?

SIMI has nothing to do with your consumer rights. It's an organisation of dealers to present themselves as a forum or body for presenting anything publicly.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 momoo

SIMI has nothing to do with your consumer rights. It's an organisation of dealers to present themselves as a forum or body for presenting anything publicly.
    Thanks for highlighting this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

I would like advice on:

Corsa/Fiesta but the yaris is a better car overall.

Zero importance as buyer.

- if I will be driving uphill a lot, should I avoid a 1/1.1 engine? If so, can you recommend other models within my price range?
    As long as you change down accordingly it will be fine with these engines

- Is 100€ a normal quote for a call0out mechanic (Allvech) or is there a better one? If so, where?
    That's a reasonable price

- Quoted a thirty day warranty on a 2004 yaris (evra motors). Is this something to be wary of or normal?
    Reasonable at that age vehicle but 3 months (engine/gearbox only) would be more normal. 2008 should have a longer warranty.

Unless you know what you are looking at it's always advisable to have someone that knows cars look it over. Never a guarantee but might help spot a lemon esp if it's a 2004/5 it's over 10 years old.

Service History would be a factor to look at...

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4 momoo

BronsonTB wrote: »
    I would like advice on:

Corsa but the yaris is a better car overall.

Zero importance as buyer.

As long as you change down accordingly it will be fine with these engines

That's a reasonable price

Reasonable at that age vehicle but 3 months (engine/gearbox only) would be more normal. 2008 should have a longer warranty.

Unless you know what you are looking at it's always advisable to have someone that knows cars look it over. Never a guarantee but might help spot a lemon esp if it's a 2004/5 it's over 10 years old.

Service History would be a factor to look at...

Great to get second opinions, cheers. For insurance in the longer run, better to look at 07/08 cars at a bit more expense or not much of a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭BronsonTB

Receipts for any work done recently too, depending on mileage both Timing belt & clutch's would be important to check.

You want to get the best car, so year isn't as vital, condition is more important to look at. You should still be able to insure an 04.

Also do a cartel/motorcheck before you actually buy as they can help show discrepancies(if any) in the seller's paperwork. (Also shows seller you are genuinely a serious buyer)

www.sligowhiplash.com - 3rd & 4th Aug '24 (Tickets on sale now!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 51,222 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Warranties on cars of that age are not worth much to be honest as they are at the age and price range where there is no profit for dealers to offer much in the way of warranty.

If your doing alot of uphill driving then these type cars may not be suitable as they are not designed for that sort of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭Redtop

Yaris is a great car but can be a little underpowered if you are trying to get up a hill with additional passengers or a full load.
    If you prefer more power, consider the larger Auris/Corolla.

Regardless of what car you choose, I recommend purchasing a report from either Motorcheck or MyWheels (this one being cheaper).
    Enter the Reg#, pay the small fee and run the report.
    Any potential concerns should be highlighted e.g. Clocking, gaps in NCT or Tax, insurance Write Offs etc.
    If there are any Red Flags, I suggest walking away.
    It's a small price to pay for some additional peace of mind, but it's not a 100% guarantee. There have been issues with discrepencies in Mileage being put down to someone entering Miles at the NCT when it should be Km or Vice Versa.

Good Luck.

Advertisement