Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Comparative texts for LC 2017

Options
  • 29-08-2016 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, I'm a homeschooled 6th year and I need to choose my comparative texts. I was in "normal" school for 5th year so I already have 1 done which is Wuthering Heights. One of the other texts I was going to do was very difficult (due to the old irish humour) but now that I'm home schooled I can choose what I want. I saw that The Song of Achilles and Great Expectations are on the list and they're 2 of my favourite books! Do you think it's a good idea to choose 3 texts (and these 3 texts specifically)?
    I love reading so I think it would be easier to do 3 novels, especially since I'll just be re-reading them. I found a very prominent common theme that is a how a character without a home was integrated into the family and how that drastically changed the lives of the surrounding characters. I don't know if I should do these texts or just try do the ones my teacher was going to do with me anyways, any advice would be greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 drmartinaf

Sounds like a good plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Hi, I'm a homeschooled 6th year and I need to choose my comparative texts. I was in "normal" school for 5th year so I already have 1 done which is Wuthering Heights. One of the other texts I was going to do was very difficult (due to the old irish humour) but now that I'm home schooled I can choose what I want. I saw that The Song of Achilles and Great Expectations are on the list and they're 2 of my favourite books! Do you think it's a good idea to choose 3 texts (and these 3 texts specifically)?
    I love reading so I think it would be easier to do 3 novels, especially since I'll just be re-reading them. I found a very prominent common theme that is a how a character without a home was integrated into the family and how that drastically changed the lives of the surrounding characters. I don't know if I should do these texts or just try do the ones my teacher was going to do with me anyways, any advice would be greatly appreciated :)
    You can literally do any three texts you want from that list, and tbh picking ones you actually enjoy reading will be of huge benefit to you and it'll make your life much easier! All you have to do once you read them is compare them under two out of three comparative modes. For 2017 the modes of comparison are General Vision & Viewpoint, Themes and Literary Genre. Here's a brief intro to all of them: http://leavingcertenglish.net/2011/04/comparative-modes/ (plus cultural context which isn't due for this year's exam).

Advertisement