Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Late Tax Return & Withholding Tax Claim form

Options
  • 29-08-2016 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 11

Hello,

If you skip submitting your tax returns by mistake can you just send them in any time? And what period should they cover (i.e. when does the tax year start and finish?) Let me explain how this came about...

I volunteered abroad until November 2014. On returning I went on Jobseeker's Allowance, and apart from 6 months on Back to Education Allowance, I continued to be on it until June 2016. I then registered as self employed.

During that time I never did any tax returns because my income was below the threshold and I didn't realise I was supposed to submit my returns anyway. I have been informed by an accountant that the tax returns for my sole trader business won't be due in til October 2017. But I'm concerned about getting my personal tax returns from the last couple of years in order.

This issue has come to my attention now because I discovered I may be able to reclaim some withheld tax from the small amount of work I did last year, and the claim form for Professional Services Withholding Tax asks you to declare that "the profits of the previous accounting period have been finally determined for tax purposes and the full amount of tax payable for the relevant year of assessment or accounting period has been paid". I would have wanted to have my taxes in order anyway, just didn't realise I wasn't doing it right!

Your advice on whether I can just send them in now and what period(s) they should cover would be much appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,891 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Yes, you can just send them in anytime up to four years later.

Each return should cover one tax year, which just happens to be the same as the calendar year, ie 1-Jan - 31 Dec inclusive.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 nessargh

Thanks so much, Mrs OBumble!

That's very reassuring and helpful.

All the best,

N

Advertisement