Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raw Is War 29/8

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Holy fcuk I couldn't have fantasy booked that better myself! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Yyyeeeeeeesssssssss!!!!!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,585 ✭✭✭IncognitoMan

Amazing booking. Delighted for Ownes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

I like this

KO with the bloody win

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,453 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Triple H putting over one of his own NXT guys, I have a feeling they might be headed that way storyline-wise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

So would people welcome back an authority storyline if Owens is their guy?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Neil3030 wrote: »
    So would people welcome back an authority storyline if Owens is their guy?

Stephanie didn't seem to expect HHH, so maybe she wasn't happy he turned up

So it mightn't be back to the traditional Authority at least, and I wouldn't mind seeing that too much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

I liked what they did because honestly it all felt flat going into the match as I assumed either Reigns would win, and he doesn't need another title reign any time soon, or Rollins would win, and I didn't like that as I felt it would have rewarded his recklessness.

Having Owens win is fresh and leaves me curious over two things:

1) the reason why HHH picked Owens over Rollins. Will the injury to Finn play into it, i.e. Seth took out one of Hunter's guys so this is payback? HHH did tweet a lot of congratulations to Finn when he won the title so you could take that route.

2) does this now mean Seth Rollins will be a babyface going forward? I'm fine with that as I felt it should have happened when he returned.

I would have a slight concern that if the plan is for HHH and Owens to be heels then the manner of the win, with Owens getting a big babyface pop and fans chanting 'you deserve it', will make it hard going forward. There aren't going to be many guys that fans will side with over Owens - certainly not Reigns, and I don't think Big Cass either. Zayn could but he is down the pecking order and we were only recently told they had their final battle. This is why turning Rollins may be the best bet as he might just be able to play a popular face vs Owens.

On the other hand, perhaps this will lead to an Owens babyface turn? There's a lot of interesting ways they can go with it.

Thumbs up anyway. :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,317 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

Well done to on HHH winning the title.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Same as MNG, I liked the ending cause it leaves me asking questions and, more importantly, makes me want to watch the show next week.

Owens deserves the title run, and while I know I should be annoyed he didn't get a clean win to start his run, I have 100% faith in him to put on awesome feuds and matches going forward. That, and if we're in a "New Era", then having Reigns or Rollins win would have been redundant.

Meanwhile, I fear they'll go down the lazy "I screwed you cause I wanted to" route, but I'm hoping they might be positioning HHH and NXT as a proper third brand. The fact Steph didn't know he was going to interfere, the fact it was an NXT guy being given the rub and an attack on someone who injured another NXT guy. I have that excitement over how this could go...which will no doubt be erased next week :P

Was that HHH then standing behing Rollins and Steph backstage before the match? There was a figure framed between the two, talking on the phone and it was a very deliberate foreshadowing scene. Something that was more subtle than Raw usually is :P

But yeah, that ending made me happy. As did how easily Bayley and Dana slotted in with the New Day and The Club....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

1) the reason why HHH picked Owens over Rollins. Will the injury to Finn play into it, i.e. Seth took out one of Hunter's guys so this is payback? HHH did tweet a lot of congratulations to Finn when he won the title so you could take that route.

Seth screwed Seth :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Thought everyone would be raging after what happened, delighted to see that isn't the case. Delighted, absolutely delighted for Owens, he really deserves it. Hope he keeps it for a while now. Secondly, I did not see that coming. And I loved it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

Looks like it might create an interesting dynamic between Foley and Triple H.
    Nicey-nice Mick won't be long getting annoying.. a bit of intensity from him now after H's interfering would be cool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 60,832 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Amazing for KO.

Watching the build up of Jealous Jericho of KO is going to be amazing to watch over the next while with the form Jericho is on at the moment.

Seth was always going to be ok losing but HHH screwing Roman still keeps Roman looking strong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,507 ✭✭✭✭CSF

How good would this be?

Looks like it might create an interesting dynamic between Foley and Triple H.
    Nicey-nice Mick won't be long getting annoying.. a bit of intensity from him now after H's interfering would be cool.

Yeah I was a bit annoyed they had Mick sitting there doing nothing while HHH just ambled around pedigreeing people in an important match. I'd much rather the commisioners weren't ringside for that as it made them look super weak. That said, I'd much rather the commissioners were never ringside.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,317 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

I can't believe more people don't have an issue with the end of that title match. I think we might all be blinded by the fact that KO was the beneficiary.

Could they really have not come up with a finish that didn't involve HHH beating 2 people? Honestly?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,611 ✭✭✭✭ERG89

SlickRic wrote: »
    Could they really have not come up with a finish that didn't involve HHH beating 2 people? Honestly?

Happy it's someone fresh but HHH literally handed it to him. They have a PPV coming up hopefully Owens will look stronger after it & it's not another authority storyline. Football season is coming up so they need something that didn't play a role in losing viewers imo.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,823 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

SlickRic wrote: »
    I can't believe more people don't have an issue with the end of that title match. I think we might all be blinded by the fact that KO was the beneficiary.

We are willingly blinded by KO tbph and by the fact that it means next weeks Raw is something I (or we) actively want to watch, not out out of habit or hope that it'll be decent but because I genuinely wanna see what happens next and see Kevin Owens in the world (universal) title spotlight.

HHH making it 3 authority figures on Raw is not ideal but at least Raw isn't meh in my mind right now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,819 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Wow didnt expect Triple H to return

Triple H vs Seth at Survivor Series could be happening. Imagine if Seth injured Triple H (He would then be rightly in the bad books lol)

delighted KO has finally reached the top of the ladder.

Didnt understand what happend between Steph and Paul Heymen

• Advertisement

For me there's too many unanswered questions to be straight up for or against the finish.

Is HHH heel or face?
    Was that a face turn for Rollins or a face turn for Owens?
    Did Stephanie know about it, will she be with or against HHH?

In terms of a "tune in next week", the finish absolutely succeeded, but time will eventually tell if it was the right finish in the grander scheme of things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 45,594 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Nice Guy

Looking back on it, they didn't need HHH to lay out Reigns. I think the Rollins bit was necessary for the story.

I would have preferred him to pedigree Rollins and then do the storming off bit, glaring at Steph etc. and leave Owens to hit his finisher on Rollins and pin him and have his moment.

But since it's fresh and it's different I'll give it a chance. I do hope next week will not see Owens fade into the background as HHH and Rollins and Steph take centre stage, which I fear may happen.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Two moments that stood out to me:

- Bayley transitioned so fluidly into her finishing move. After years of seeing Cena set it up so ridiculously obviously I kinda dislike seeing people duck a clothesline to set up a move, but Bayley and Dana made it look very natural

- Kevin Owens' facial expressions at the moment of that pedigree. The guy's a damn good actor!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,753 ✭✭✭✭beakerjoe

There goes the Zayn/Owens Boards double draft pick.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

What is this **** with Stephanie and Paul Heyman

If the king was on commentary, and it was 1998, would have been told how Stephanie is used to getting one dollar bills :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,507 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Looking back on it, they didn't need HHH to lay out Reigns. I think the Rollins bit was necessary for the story.

I would have preferred him to pedigree Rollins and then do the storming off bit, glaring at Steph etc. and leave Owens to hit his finisher on Rollins and pin him and have his moment.

But since it's fresh and it's different I'll give it a chance. I do hope next week will not see Owens fade into the background as HHH and Rollins and Steph take centre stage, which I fear may happen.
    The pedigree to Reigns was basically diversionary tactics to further emphasise the pedigree to Rollins.

Basically oh my god HHH is here to help Rollins again, look, there goes Reigns, but then.........nope.

I can safely say that I never in my wildest dreams imagined HHH was there to give the title to Owens so it worked in that respect for me. As someone else said I'm not going to judge it until I see where it goes. I wouldn't be interested in Owens as another corporate puppet. Face Owens I could deal with, but ideally this is going to be some kind of NXT splinter group with Zayn and Balor eventually joining up too. Now that would be must see TV.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,251 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Great ending. Though at what point did the match become an elimination match?

And did WWE actuually have continuity by having Steph say she bought ECW off Heyman all those years ago?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭seandotcomm

CastorTroy wrote: »
    Great ending. Though at what point did the match become an elimination match?

Announced at the start of the night

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,910 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

CastorTroy wrote: »
    And did WWE actuually have continuity by having Steph say she bought ECW off Heyman all those years ago?

Pretty sure she came up with that line on the spot after the crowd started chanting "ECW! ECW!". They just ignored a CM Punk chant a moment later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,251 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Yeah she did, but just found it funny that she referenced it.

And I think Dana really needs to learn how to take her head being hit into the turnbuckle without putting her hands up.

Advertisement