Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Raw Is War 29/8

13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Reebrock

Dana needs to learn a lot. Like preparing to take a drop kick: she is selling the move before an opponent begins to execute it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Announced at the start of the night

I missed that. I was screaming with joy when Owens pinned Cass :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 48,990 ✭✭✭✭Lithium93_

Was in the airport this morning, some guy saw my Kevin Owens t-shirt and said "have you seen", didn't know what he was on about, got into Stansted, immediately checked and HOLY **** KEVIN OWENS :D:D

Gutted I missed watching it live..

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭The Showstopper

My immediate reaction to the finish of Raw is being annoyed that HHH is back. Once again the champion is champion because HHH wants them to be champion, not based on their own skill, this is nothing fresh.
    I've been really positive on wwe since wrestlemania, and particularly since the draft, but I doubt I'm going to have any interest in whatever comes of this. wwe have done nothing in the last few years to earn trust of fans that this will lead anywhere good.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

That last line is a bit unfair. Balor got pushed straight off the bat and won the title in his 3rd match. Won all three previous matches clean. Dean Ambrose is WWE Champion. AJ Styles just beat John Cena clean at Summerslam and has been a feature player since coming in, even got the Club with him for a while. Who ever thought we'd see Styles on top in WWE or with the Bullet Club?! Daniel Bryan's win at Mania 30 was the possibly the best story arc since Austin vs McMahon, only cut short by injury. They've gotten a good bit right I'd say. That's without mentioning the success of NXT, the CWC and the female competitors.

• Advertisement

Oh absolutely they've got a lot right. As I said I've actually been super positive about wwe since wrestlemania. But Triple H does absolutely nothing for me. Kevin Owens being champion of Raw is great and all, but he's champion because Triple H beat Roman and Seth which I just can't get excited for. Maybe Owens will have a great run with the belt and completely overshadow Triple H and I'll change my mind.

Going back to this year's wrestlemania and Triple H being in the main event really killed my interest. They have such a talented roster, Triple H doesn't need to be the centre of attention.

The booking of Bryan at Wrestlemania actually always confused me a bit. Now I loved him winning the two matches at mania and all, but him being booked as an underdog after beating Cena completely clean in an epic Summerslam main event (which no one really did before him) was strange. It was like they pulled the trigger on Bryan being the next big star and then forgot about it for a few months.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

I thought it was revealed that Bryan had the threat of possible surgery hanging over him during that period. So it made sense to hold back and plan for him not making it before finding away to get him back in once he was good to make mania.

DM_7 wrote: »
    I thought it was revealed that Bryan had the threat of possible surgery hanging over him during that period. So it made sense to hold back and plan for him not making it before finding away to get him back in once he was good to make mania.

I hadn't heard that before. Still I remember at the time thinking how ridiculous it was that the Cena match was completely ignored. Commentary wondering if he had a chance against Triple H even though he had beat Cena made no sense to me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,507 ✭✭✭✭CSF

DM_7 wrote: »

That's not how he tells it in his book. Seems like it was genuinely never the plan, the when the Yes Movement took over the mainstream they were left with no choice.

Orton vs Batista was the plan by all accounts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

Pretty sure the plan was

Orton vs Batista
    Taker vs Brock
    HHH vs Punk
    several
    other
    things
    Sheamus (iirc) vs Bryan

And I think when they had to course correct the day after the rumble, punk found out that because Bryan was getting hunter, he was getting a feud with kane instead?

Whether Bryan was down to be added to the main event at that point seems unlikely to me.

• Advertisement

Pretty sure the plan was

Orton vs Batista
    Taker vs Brock
    HHH vs Punk
    several
    other
    things
    Sheamus (iirc) vs Bryan

And I think when they had to course correct the day after the rumble, punk found out that because Bryan was getting hunter, he was getting a feud with kane instead?
    Yeah something like that

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,359 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

CSF wrote: »
    That's not how he tells it in his book. Seems like it was genuinely never the plan, the when the Yes Movement took over the mainstream they were left with no choice.

Orton vs Batista was the plan by all accounts.

I thought he said it when all the brain trauma came out at the time of his retirement?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,689 ✭✭✭sky88

Oh absolutely they've got a lot right. As I said I've actually been super positive about wwe since wrestlemania. But Triple H does absolutely nothing for me. Kevin Owens being champion of Raw is great and all, but he's champion because Triple H beat Roman and Seth which I just can't get excited for. Maybe Owens will have a great run with the belt and completely overshadow Triple H and I'll change my mind.

Going back to this year's wrestlemania and Triple H being in the main event really killed my interest. They have such a talented roster, Triple H doesn't need to be the centre of attention.

The booking of Bryan at Wrestlemania actually always confused me a bit. Now I loved him winning the two matches at mania and all, but him being booked as an underdog after beating Cena completely clean in an epic Summerslam main event (which no one really did before him) was strange. It was like they pulled the trigger on Bryan being the next big star and then forgot about it for a few months.

The only reason hhh main evented mania this year was Rollins injury and them thinking hhh was the only wrestler that the crowd would boo over reigns. They were wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Chain Smoker

sky88 wrote: »
    The only reason hhh main evented mania this year was Rollins injury and them thinking hhh was the only wrestler that the crowd would boo over reigns. They were wrong.

I mean, I was all for them trying Hunter (c) vs Reigns if they were hell bent on getting Reigns over, it was the only viable option where the crowd might at least be neutralised into a polite silence.

BUT... wasn't there an episode of Raw a few weeks out where Hunter got a huge babyface reaction from battering the ****e out of Reigns and he played it up huge in the moment?

Thing is HHH is naturally becoming something of a face behind the scenes with all he's doing with NXT so he's going to become that bit harder to dislike.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

BUT... wasn't there an episode of Raw a few weeks out where Hunter got a huge babyface reaction from battering the ****e out of Reigns and he played it up huge in the moment?

He absolutely did. He did the DX chop a few times as well and he soaked it all in and posed for the cheers. I remembered someone here posted on the Raw thread at the time and said HHH effectively turned Face last night.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,761 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

CSF wrote: »
    Thing is HHH is naturally becoming something of a face behind the scenes with all he's doing with NXT so he's going to become that bit harder to dislike.

Which is why it's time to retire the character

Let someone retire him at Mania, Rollins for instance, there's very little left for him to do except putting over talent which he's done for a while now minus going over Sting, time for him to go out on his back imo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭johnnysmack

Which is why it's time to retire the character

Let someone retire him at Mania, Rollins for instance, there's very little left for him to do except putting over talent which he's done for a while now minus going over Sting, time for him to go out on his back imo

Not gonna happen while he can still half go in the ring. He'll go down the undertaker route and get rolled out every WrestleMania for a good few years yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

You know we're a bunch of lifers when the thread is labelled "Raw Is War" and no-one bats an eyelid :P

jaykhunter wrote: »
    You know we're a bunch of lifers when the thread is labelled "Raw Is War" and no-one bats an eyelid :P

Haha didn't even notice that :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Not gonna happen while he can still half go in the ring. He'll go down the undertaker route and get rolled out every WrestleMania for a good few years yet.
    I actually have no problem with something like that. In the last few years, Triple H has had some amazing matches (even the Sting match was great for nostalgia). He made Reigns look a million bucks and his match against Bryan was absolutely phenomenal (still watch that back sometimes, and I still mark everytime when Triple H hits the Tiger Suplex).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭paulie21

jaykhunter wrote: »

Ha was wondering when someone would notice that

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    I actually have no problem with something like that. In the last few years, Triple H has had some amazing matches (even the Sting match was great for nostalgia). He made Reigns look a million bucks and his match against Bryan was absolutely phenomenal (still watch that back sometimes, and I still mark everytime when Triple H hits the Tiger Suplex).

That one, I disagree with; as mentioned above, he openly embraced the cheers at times, which only served to undermine the attempts to get Reigns over as a face.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

I really just think it's a case of "football season starts next week, how do we make sure people are hooked on seeing Raw."

We will all tune in to see why HHH did what he did, job done.

I'm not expecting this to go too far tbh. Much like how they handled the Bryan/Miz thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

Lord TSC wrote: »
    That one, I disagree with; as mentioned above, he openly embraced the cheers at times, which only served to undermine the attempts to get Reigns over as a face.

another sign that Reigns is purely "Vince's Guy".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 87,288 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Neil3030 wrote: »
    For me there's too many unanswered questions to be straight up for or against the finish.

Is HHH heel or face?
    Was that a face turn for Rollins or a face turn for Owens?
    Did Stephanie know about it, will she be with or against HHH?

In terms of a "tune in next week", the finish absolutely succeeded, but time will eventually tell if it was the right finish in the grander scheme of things.

I am curious why Steph or Foley did nothing to stop HHH, what explanation will be given, just shock by both, also can Foley take a bump anymore?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I meant during the match. I think in the last year I have grown to appreciate Reigns more as a wrestler, he just has no charisma as a face. The Wrestlemania match with Haitch made me see how good Reigns actually is in the ring.

Advertisement