Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Mk IV Golf fails NCT on emissions

Options
  • 29-08-2016 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi, I bought a 1.4 golf a few months back and got it insured and taxed start of summer and my battle with nct started.After 2 tests and 2 retest it still wont pass with all the work ive done.
    Had a whole engine rebuild- piston rings,headgasket...etc, new cat, new lambda in the front,new sensor(possibly not to sure if it came with new lambda) and yet my emmisions are still too high, tried using the cleaner you pour into petrol but did not help at all.

Before new cat, LOW Idle(CO 1.38%)High Idle(lambda 0.96,co 1.64%,HC 287ppm)
    After new cat, LOW Idle(CO 1.19%)High Idle(lambda 0.94,co 1.81%,HC 343ppm)

Please someone need help desperately

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,706 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

Sounds like it's an expensive dud. As your mechanic what to do next. You've probably paid him enough to get a result at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,222 ✭✭✭✭biko

Where are you located OP? Maybe someone can recommend another mechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 arnasj123

I have had several mechanics look at it and none seem to find the answer, was just wondering if there is something thats not jumping out at them?

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭gavman1

Can ye verify that all that rebuild work was actually done?how does the car run/idle.does it consume any of its oil/water?any smokey exhuast? What's the mileage on the engine?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,104 ✭✭✭dieselbug

Had a whole engine rebuild- piston rings,headgasket...etc,

What do you mean by a whole engine rebuild. Can you be more specific.

If it's just piston rings and a head gasket that's not much of a rebuild, or

did it have a proper rebuild including a rebore and new pistons and rings, new valves and guides.

• Advertisement
Advertisement