Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Vuelta Stage 10: Lugones - Lagos de Covadonga

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

Froome seems to ride these sorts of climbs in negative splits, especially when he is without a dominant team. Its simple but clever and a couple of pro riders on twitter have pointed that out.

Quintana is doing what he has to and take the time before the TT. The Vuelta may have many summit finishes but the time gaps are tight when looking back at past races, 2014 in particular.

Contador can't cope with two big hits to the body in consecutive GT's. Still no word on his signing with Trek. I wonder...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

velo.2010 wrote: »
    Froome seems to ride these sorts of climbs in negative splits, especially when he is without a dominant team. Its simple but clever and a couple of pro riders on twitter have pointed that out.

Quintana is doing what he has to and take the time before the TT. The Vuelta may have many summit finishes but the time gaps are tight when looking back at past races, 2014 in particular.

Contador can't cope with two big hits to the body in consecutive GT's. Still no word on his signing with Trek. I wonder...

Hes not my cup of tea, but if hes doing that it must take tremendous discipline. To stick to the plan so rigidly (if that is the plan) in the face of huge pressure, is impressive and admirable.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

terrydel wrote: »
    Hes not my cup of tea, but if hes doing that it must take tremendous discipline. To stick to the plan so rigidly (if that is the plan) in the face of huge pressure, is impressive and admirable.
    He's just following his power meter. I suppose it takes discipline, but it is it really all that different to what he does in the Tour when the skybots are doing the same in the postal train?

Macy0161 wrote: »
    He's just following his power meter. I suppose it takes discipline, but it is it really all that different to what he does in the Tour when the skybots are doing the same in the postal train?

No its not, but my point is the level fo discipline required is massive.
    Its only human to panic (even slightly) and react to what others are doing instead of following what you yourself are doing.
    Show me a cyclist who doesn't chase after the fella ahead of him or her on a climb and I'll show you a liar :P Its so difficult not to! That's gotta be amplified many fold at the level these guys are at.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,455 ✭✭✭Macy0161

terrydel wrote: »
    No its not, but my point is the level fo discipline required is massive.
    Its only human to panic (even slightly) and react to what others are doing instead of following what you yourself are doing.
    Show me a cyclist who doesn't chase after the fella ahead of him or her on a climb and I'll show you a liar :P Its so difficult not to! That's gotta be amplified many fold at the level these guys are at.
    Tell you when I save up enough for a power meter! Well it was probably in reverse yesterday - the others saw him dropped and went too deep going for the kill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Quintana looks imperious when he's climbing and on form, everyone else is gritting their teeth and gurning, he looks cool as a breeze. It must be soul destroying when you're giving your all and he's coasting along beside you.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,343 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I really enjoyed that. I said at the start that I didn't know if Quintana had the raw power to put in big hits on the steep stuff but I'm delighted he has proved me wrong. It was great watching him and Contador slug it out yesterday until Bertie cracked.

Say what you will about Bertie but he makes great viewing when he just goes for it but it's also fascinating to watch Froome holding steady and gradually clawing back until he makes his own attack. Sky make cycling boring but Froome is exciting in a strange kind of way.

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Quintana looks imperious when he's climbing and on form, everyone else is gritting their teeth and gurning, he looks cool as a breeze. It must be soul destroying when you're giving your all and he's coasting along beside you.

Was he at one stage laughing at a dickhead looking for a selfie?
    His interview after, it immediately struck me that he looked like he hadn't even got on a bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,255 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Daroxtar wrote: »
    I really enjoyed that. I said at the start that I didn't know if Quintana had the raw power to put in big hits on the steep stuff but I'm delighted he has proved me wrong. It was great watching him and Contador slug it out yesterday until Bertie cracked.

Say what you will about Bertie but he makes great viewing when he just goes for it but it's also fascinating to watch Froome holding steady and gradually clawing back until he makes his own attack. Sky make cycling boring but Froome is exciting in a strange kind of way.

But the power Quintana put out is probably less than Gesink who is probaby 20KG heavier ?

The race worked becasue of the differnt styles ...If they had the same style it would be boring

As for Froome staying cool...he can afford to ...He has won the Tour and if he goes well at the Vuelta he goes well and if he does not he does not
    Easy to be cool when you have nothing to lose

Contador on the other hand was desperate in his need to win and that was his downfall

Quintanais is the best climber in the peloton at the moment imo

Advertisement