Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dog friendly pub sligo

• 29-08-2016 12:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hello, does anyone know of any pubs in county Sligo that I can bring my dog into? Thanks (:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭cocker5

Catsawkins wrote: »
    Hello, does anyone know of any pubs in county Sligo that I can bring my dog into? Thanks (:

what size dog? most places serving food wont allow it, look for an old mans pub with no food and you'll be fine!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,761 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

cocker5 wrote: »
    most places serving food wont allow it, l

No pub that serves food can legally have animals on it's premises

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Catsawkins

Ha ha, yeh that's exactly what I was thinking. He is only small, and well behaved and used to being in pubs as there are a couple in Bray we can take him into. It's just such a shame that more places aren't allowed dogs in, I'd say 90 per cent of pubs in England and pretty much all of them in Europe allow them whether they serve food or not. My mum lives in England and she gets sent home if she goes to the pub without the dog! We'll be on the lookout for old man's pubs (: we found a couple in Donegal so we are hopeful!

what size dog? most places serving food wont allow it, look for an old mans pub with no food and you'll be fine!

Ha ha, yeh that's exactly what I was thinking. He is only small, and well behaved and used to being in pubs as there are a couple in Bray we can take him into. It's just such a shame that more places aren't allowed dogs in, I'd say 90 per cent of pubs in England and pretty much all of them in Europe allow them whether they serve food or not. My mum lives in England and she gets sent home if she goes to the pub without the dog! We'll be on the lookout for old man's pubs (: we found a couple in Donegal so we are hopeful!

Can u ask where in bray?

We do the greystones to bray walk a lot and back.. Didn't know we could stop for a cheeky drink with our dog!

We found while in Galway loads of places allow dogs so I'm sure you'll be grand!

The Harbour Bar at the other end of Bray seafront allows dogs inside as well as the garden, and there is a restaurant next to it called dockyard no.8 who allow your dog inside while you eat. Shock horror people are not dying from this attrocity of having a dog on the floor while they eat! Also the blue light pub up in the mountains is dog friendly and has spectacular views (: you can also take your dog into the outside bit of the martello which is covered and has lots of heaters so you can sit out there even if it's not warm weather

Can u ask where in bray?

We do the greystones to bray walk a lot and back.. Didn't know we could stop for a cheeky drink with our dog!

We found while in Galway loads of places allow dogs so I'm sure you'll be grand!

• Advertisement

The Harbour Bar at the other end of Bray seafront allows dogs inside as well as the garden, and there is a restaurant next to it called dockyard no.8 who allow your dog inside while you eat. Shock horror people are not dying from this attrocity of having a dog on the floor while they eat! Also the blue light pub up in the mountains is dog friendly and has spectacular views (: you can also take your dog into the outside bit of the martello which is covered and has lots of heaters so you can sit out there even if it's not warm weather

Perfect thanks soo much i know them all! harbour bar is one of my favourites!!

I agree 100% unless a dog is actually cooking and serving you the food i dont see the issue at all :D we are away each year skiing in Austria and there are dogs in many cafes and restaurants causing no harm at all...

if you guy are looking at a dog friendly hotel, we spend June bank holiday long weekend here with our cocker:

http://www.renvyle.com/?r=3726001&gclid=CPGuzO326M4CFcF82wodSMUAiA

dogs stay in your room and are allowed everywhere within the hotel (one exception was the breakfast room) - we brought to to Kylemore abbey and to Innisboffen on the ferry - it was an AMAZING dog holiday!

Thank you (: Yeh it's the same in England, dogs are welcome pretty much everywhere including public transport, I find it reallybannoying that they are not allowed here, they are better behaved than half the prats you get in bars and on the bus! We stayed at a hostel in donegal with our dog, it wasn't a 5 star hotel, but really nice and a cosy fire in the breakfast room. Great if you are looking for a remote and rugged getaway with great wild scenery around. The pubs up the road allowed our dog in too and they had some great live music,and a hilarious lock in where we all had to hide in the dark when the guards drove past ðŸ˜ðŸ˜‚

Aras Ghleann Cholm Cille is the place we stayed, same deal, dog stays in your room and not allowed in breakfast room

Thanks guys, I am back from my trip now, we didn't have much success unfortunately. I did find that Austies in rosses point allowed us to sit inside the bar area with the dog, and everyone loved him. He just went to sleep under the table as usual. I don't think they serve food in that part of the bar. I did not manage to find anywhere that we could eat and have the dog with us. While some places would allow us to sit outside in the cold and rain with the dog, they would not serve food outside, so no point staying there if you're hungry. The poor pooch spent a few hours in the car while we ate out a couple of times. If anyone is ever heading to Bray in wicklow with their dog I can recommend dockyard no.8 where you can eat inside with your dog, also Martello on the seafront, you can't go in the pub with your dog but the outside is fully covered and has a lot of heaters and you can have a meal there with your dog. Same deal for the harbour bar. (: I beleive that having dogs on premesis should be the choice of the owner and that once the dog is not in the kitchen preparing your food there is no health and safety issue. As many people have said most pubs and restaurants in the UK and Europe do allow dogs inside even if they serve food, and low and behold people are not dying or getting sick from eating in the same room as a dog or getting mauled while they eat. As with human customers, if the dog is a nuisance then the staff have full rights to evict them.

thats a pity not too mention annoying!

we're doing another doggie weekend away in October - this time to Baltimore in cork - hopefully they are not as strict as Sligo! def dont want my guy spending hours in the car.. we have rented a cottage though so if thats ends of being the case we'll grab something ad all head back together and eat... Ireland is just NOT dog friendly. Thanks for your tips RE: bray ill def be going there... I live in Greystones... look out for the mad dog lady with a black cocker :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,761 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

Much as I'd love to have my dog everywhere I go as a food business owner id like to make this point. It is a legal requirement for food businesses to ensure that they do not allow dogs anywhere on their premises, this is not opinion or a recommendation, it is the law. Personally, as both a food business owner and a dog lover, I don't believe this law is appropriate or moderate. However if a food business allows a dog on site, how do you know how loose and easy they play it with other aspects of their food safety regulations that have to be enforced around their kitchen when it comes to preparing the food that you eat.

• Advertisement

duploelabs wrote: »
    Much as I'd love to have my dog everywhere I go as a food business owner id like to make this point. It is a legal requirement for food businesses to ensure that they do not allow dogs anywhere on their premises, this is not opinion or a recommendation, it is the law. Personally, as both a food business owner and a dog lover, I don't believe this law is appropriate or moderate. However if a food business allows a dog on site, how do you know how loose and easy they play it with other aspects of their food safety regulations that have to be enforced around their kitchen when it comes to preparing the food that you eat.

How come all over Europe its the done things if as per article below its not permitted :

https://www.fsai.ie/faqs/animals_in_food_premises.html

I just dont understand it to be honest

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,488 ✭✭✭✭Alun

The clue, surely is this phrase ...
    Adequate procedures are also to be in place to prevent domestic animals from having access to places where food is prepared, handled or stored...

and it being, to my mind, incorrectly applied to the whole premises, rather than just the areas where food preparation is taking place.

How come all over Europe its the done things if as per article below its not permitted :

https://www.fsai.ie/faqs/animals_in_food_premises.html

I just dont understand it to be honest
    Me neither, especially since it seems to be OK in the UK too which, traditionally, has always seemed to interpret EU legislation rather more strictly than other countries.

As an example, we're off to the Yorkshire Dales in a couple of weeks. One of the places we're staying at is this one ...

http://www.beckhallmalham.com
    You and your dog at Beck Hall

Dogs stay free
    Dogs welcome at breakfast
    Dog-friendly bistro
    Dog biscuits on tap
    All rooms can take dogs
    All rooms close to exits
    Up to three dogs welcome
    Wherever you go, your dog can go
    Food storage available
    Extra towels / mats available
    Doggy bin available
    Rooms cleaned to exceptionally high standard

And the other one is this one ...

http://www.bestpubinthedales.co.uk/
    Are you Dog friendly?

We accept well behaved dogs in our ground floor rooms and public areas of the Inn. There is an additional charge of £5 per night. A complimentary water bowl and dogs biscuits are available at the bar.

Maybe I'd better call the EU food hygiene police and get them to organise a dawn raid to shut them down :D (After I've visited of course!)

I've also checked the 8 pubs in the immediate area (Upper Wharfedale and Littondale) of the first one on the list there, all of which I've visited over the years, and despite them all serving food, all but one welcomes dogs, and the only reason for that is that it's too small and crowded. There are two other pubs in the same village that do though. Heck, one of them, The George in Hubberholme even has it's own resident JRT, called George! Given the area they're in they'd be mad not too, not that all dogs there belong to tourists, the local farmers bring their dogs in with them too.

Advertisement