Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog friendly pub sligo

Options
  • 29-08-2016 12:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hello, does anyone know of any pubs in county Sligo that I can bring my dog into? Thanks (:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

i think Austies in Rosses Point are ok with dogs once they're under control.
    Unfortunately most pubs follow the pc line on dogs!

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Catsawkins

Thanks very much!! (:

red sean wrote: »
    i think Austies in Rosses Point are ok with dogs once they're under control.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭promethius

the draft house in strandhill won't let them in but have secure kennels out the back so you can leave them there while having a drink and / or dinner. use it a good bit, it's handy

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭charman

I'd imagine if you were in Sligo town you could go into the Swagman's beer garden and sit out there...partly covered...controversial at the moment. Another place would be to sit outside the front of Fiddler's or Kennedy's on the river...cheers!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

charman wrote: »
    I'd imagine if you were in Sligo town you could go into the Swagman's beer garden and sit out there...partly covered...controversial at the moment. Another place would be to sit outside the front of Fiddler's or Kennedy's on the river...cheers!

Hardly controversial, its simply a job for the boys in wigs to sort out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭FirstinLastout

red sean wrote: »

It's not "political correctness" that stops pub owners letting customers bring their dogs into their pubs.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,259 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

It's not "political correctness" that stops pub owners letting customers bring their dogs into their pubs.

It's a food safety issue if the pub serves food, which most do.

Can you elaborate please.
    I wasn't talking about where food is served. Lots of bars have no food served but are attached to restaurant/lounge facilities where it is served.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭loki7777

People who are afraid of dogs?

Hardly controversial, its simply a job for the boys in wigs to sort out.

my point is there are places in Sligo town to bring dogs...mostly the river route with outside tables and umbrellas or the likes of a place with a beer garden you can access without going into the bar/lounge food serving areas. Health and Safety does not allow dogs into the actual premises.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭Dubl07

charman wrote: »
    my point is there are places in Sligo town to bring dogs...mostly the river route with outside tables and umbrellas or the likes of a place with a beer garden you can access without going into the bar/lounge food serving areas. Health and Safety does not allow dogs into the actual premises.

The rest of Europe understands that dogs can't go into food preparation areas like behind the counter in a deli or carvery or into the kitchen in a restaurant.

Some Irish inspectors' interpretations of H&S do not allow dogs into the premises. As we get more immigrants from cultures that view dogs as intrinsically unclean this will just get worse unless people lobby now for dog-friendly premises and support them with footfall and income.

(Pet peeve.)

Dubl07 wrote: »
    The rest of Europe understands that dogs can't go into food preparation areas like behind the counter in a deli or carvery or into the kitchen in a restaurant.

Some Irish inspectors' interpretations of H&S do not allow dogs into the premises. As we get more immigrants from cultures that view dogs as intrinsically unclean this will just get worse unless people lobby now for dog-friendly premises and support them with footfall and income.

(Pet peeve.)
    It is a peevee....I don't agree with your part quote regarding immigrants and their opinions of dogs. I hope and beleive that you can sit outside a premise with a dog and that is in no breach of any H&S regulations...As long as puppy does not go on the premises. It's like smoking ban.

loki7777 wrote: »
    People who are afraid of dogs?
    The dogs, you'll find, are better behaved than a lot of humans in pubs!
    Once a dog is under control I don't se a problem with. Same as assistance dogs. It's commonplace in the UK and most of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Catsawkins

Thanks guys. I agree that having dogs on premesis should be the choice of the owner and that once the dog is not in the kitchen preparing your food there is no health and safety issue. As many people have said most pubs and restaurants in the UK and Europe do allow dogs inside even if they serve food, and low and behold people are not dying or getting sick from eating in the same room as a dog or getting mauled while they eat. As with human customers, if the dog is a nuisance then the staff have full rights to evict them. I did find that Austies in rosses point allowed us to sit inside the bar area with the dog, and everyone loved him. He just went to sleep under the table as usual. I don't think they serve food in that part Of The bar. I did not manage to find anywhere that we could eat and have the dog with us. While some places would allow us to sit outside in the cold and rain with the dog, they would not serve food outside, so no point staying there if you're hungry. The poor pooch spent a few hours in the car while we ate out a couple of times. If anyone is ever heading to Bray in wicklow with their dog I can recommend dockyard no.8 where you can eat inside with your dog, also Martello on the seafront, you can't go in the pub with your dog but the outside is fully covered and has a lot of heaters and you can have a meal there with your dog. Same deal for the harbour bar. (:

Advertisement