If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommendation for pair of Bookshelf + Amp

Options
  • 29-08-2016 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Looking to set-up a rich sounding Hi-Fi system that I can mostly play music from and also connect the TV to and avoid the muffled sound of the LG [font=arial, sans-serif]49UB850V.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]I'm seeking recommendation on a pair of Speakers that can cover all details and an amp to go along where I would be able to switch between the different input sources (TV Output, Apple TV, Disc player - All via optical or RCA)[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]Not sure if the best is to go with a regular receiver and hook-up the speakers or if a more specific amp would be better in this case.[/font]

[font=arial, sans-serif]If this setup with Bookshelf is not ideal, I can take recommendations on a 2.1 then, as long as audio clarity and room filling audio is kept in mind.[/font]

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 17,285 ✭✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Kenny

Hi brunodaniele,

Thanks for your post and apologies for the delay getting back to you.

There are a few options for this. You can look at the more traditional AV receiver but for music I would recommend something like a micro hifi system with a good set of speakers especially if it's mainly for music. To that end, there's a Marantz MCR611 that's well worth a look. It has a CD player, DAB/FM radio, bluetooth, streaming capabilities and digital inputs for the TV. It has an inbuilt 50w amp, can run up to 4 stereo speakers and also has a subwoofer output if you ever wanted to add bass.

We are doing this in a bundle at the moment with the Monitor Audio Bronze 2s, a great speaker that won the What Hifi award for best speaker up to £400. They are larger than some bookshelf speakers and give a good room filling sound.

http://www.richersounds.com/package/system-savers/mini-hi-fi-system-deals/pah012843

The bundle price is currently £549.

let me know what you think.

Kind Regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Hi OP, hope you don't mind me jumping in.

Hi David, what's your view on the Denon Ceol systems comparing against the Marantz? As I have similar needs to the OP. Thanks
    Hi brunodaniele,

There are a few options for this. You can look at the more traditional AV receiver but for music I would recommend something like a micro hifi system with a good set of speakers especially if it's mainly for music. To that end, there's a Marantz MCR611 that's well worth a look. It has a CD player, DAB/FM radio, bluetooth, streaming capabilities and digital inputs for the TV. It has an inbuilt 50w amp, can run up to 4 stereo speakers and also has a subwoofer output if you ever wanted to add bass.

We are doing this in a bundle at the moment with the Monitor Audio Bronze 2s, a great speaker that won the What Hifi award for best speaker up to £400. They are larger than some bookshelf speakers and give a good room filling sound.

http://www.richersounds.com/package/system-savers/mini-hi-fi-system-deals/pah012843

Kind Regards

David

MAJJ wrote: »
    Hi OP, hope you don't mind me jumping in.

Hi David,  what's your view on the Denon Ceol systems comparing against the Marantz? As I have similar needs to the OP. Thanks
    Hi brunodaniele,

Kind Regards

David
    Hi Majj,

The Denon systems are very good but I prefer the Marantz for a couple of reasons. First a better sound quality and second it allows you to run up to 4 speakers or bi wire a set as well. I've demoed both and for me the Marantz comes out on top.

Hope that information was helpful.

Kind Regards

David

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Thanks David, very helpful.
    Hi Majj,

The Denon systems are very good but I prefer the Marantz for a couple of reasons. First a better sound quality and second it allows you to run up to 4 speakers or bi wire a set as well. I've demoed both and for me the Marantz comes out on top.

Kind Regards

David

MAJJ wrote: »
    Thanks David,  very helpful.
    Hi Majj,

Kind Regards

David
    Hey MAJJ.

Any other questions just drop us a post.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 brunodaniele

Hey David, reopening this as I wanted to check on a few items that I believe suit my needs.

Is it possible to have the currently on sale YAMAHA AS501 Refurbished unit now on sale delivered to Ireland? (Sorry that I can't paste the link on here)

If it can't be delivered to Ireland directly I'll go with Parcel Motel, no issues.

Also, would the KEF Q300 be a great pair of speakers to couple with this amp, or any other suggestions?

• Company Representative Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Richersounds.ie: Brian

Hey David, reopening this as I wanted to check on a few items that I believe suit my needs.

Is it possible to have the currently on sale YAMAHA AS501 Refurbished unit now on sale delivered to Ireland? (Sorry that I can't paste the link on here)

If it can't be delivered to Ireland directly I'll go with Parcel Motel, no issues.

Also, would the KEF Q300 be a great pair of speakers to couple with this amp, or any other suggestions?
    HI brunodaniele, thanks for your post

Unfortunately we can't get any of the refurbished stock from Richer UK sent over to us, they will only ship to mainland
    We do have the AS501 currently in stock new at £249

On the Kef Q300, they are a nice speaker, but firstly they are unavailable for shipping, they would be an in-store only model, but also I believe the Monitor Audio Bronze 2 speakers to be a better sounding speaker, and they are £279 - http://www.richersounds.ie/p-12901-bronze-2-black.aspx

If you were interested in both of the above, I could do them for you at £495 including delivery. If you need any cable, let me know what lengths you would need and I'll see what I can do bundle price 

Cheers
    Brian

Unfortunately we can't get any of the refurbished stock from Richer UK sent over to us, they will only ship to mainland

On the Kef Q300, they are a nice speaker, but firstly they are unavailable for shipping, they would be an in-store only model, but also I believe the Monitor Audio Bronze 2 speakers to be a better sounding speaker, and they are £279 - 

If you were interested in both of the above, I could do them for you at £495 including delivery. If you need any cable, let me know what lengths you would need and I'll see what I can do bundle price 

Cheers
    Brian
    Yes, will need cables (3m x speaker) (not sure if bi-wiring is worth it) and a pair of pixel t80 stands. What is your final price on that?

On the Kef Q300, they are a nice speaker, but firstly they are unavailable for shipping, they would be an in-store only model, but also I believe the Monitor Audio Bronze 2 speakers to be a better sounding speaker, and they are £279 - 

Cheers
    Brian
    Yes, will need cables (3m x speaker) (not sure if bi-wiring is worth it) and a pair of pixel t80 stands. What is your final price on that?
    To be honest, I'd say that with the Bronze 2 it would be worth Bi-wiring, you would get a significant improvement in sound using both sets of outputs on the as501 and biwiring the speakers

For the bundle above, plus 6 metres of Audioquest FLX, and the Pixel T80 stands, best I could do delivered would be £569

Regards
    Brian

Perfect Brian, let me just have everything measured this night at home to confirm the measurements and get done with this.

Might need other cables as well, but will let you know.

Last question: Are the cables ends already prepared with plugs?

• Advertisement

Perfect Brian, let me just have everything measured this night at home to confirm the measurements and get done with this.

Might need other cables as well, but will let you know.

Last question: Are the cables ends already prepared with plugs?
    No probs, let me know sure if you want to go ahead. 
    The plugs are generally sold separately but we can have them fitted for you if you want. I haven't priced for plugs in the above, if you wanted plugs to cover full biwiring, you would need 8 pairs at £4.99 per pair, I can do them for you at extra £35

Regards
    Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭blondeonblonde

The plugs are generally sold separately but we can have them fitted for you if you want. I haven't priced for plugs in the above, if you wanted plugs to cover full biwiring, you would need 8 pairs at £4.99 per pair, I can do them for you at extra £35

Regards
    Brian

Sorry to hijack your thread but I am also looking for a similar system. I had looked at the Marantz or denon ceol last year but ended up getting one of the new Sonos play 5's as space is a bit of an issue. However the single speaker sonos sound isn't quite cutting it for me anymore and I'd like to have something to play CDs also.

Do the speakers in the bundle need a stand or would they be suitable to have on a shelf? As I said, space is limited so I'd like something relatively compact but with a decent sound. What are my options? Thanks,

Regards
    Brian

Sorry to hijack your thread but I am also looking for a similar system. I had looked at the Marantz or denon ceol last year but ended up getting one of the new Sonos play 5's as space is a bit of an issue. However the single speaker sonos sound isn't quite cutting it for me anymore and I'd like to have something to play CDs also.

Do the speakers in the bundle need a stand or would they be suitable to have on a shelf? As I said, space is limited so I'd like something relatively compact but with a decent sound. What are my options?  Thanks,
    Hi Blondeonblonde.

Any of the bookshelf / standmount speakers that we stock can sit on a shelf if you do not have the space for stands. 
    As long as the shelf is not high up on the wall.

We currently have a deal on the Marantz PM6005 with the Bronze 2 speakers priced at £499 (While stocks last, as the PM6005 is finishing up)
    http://www.richersounds.com/package/system-savers/hi-fi-system-deals/pah013214

The matching CD player the CD6005 has already been discontinued and I don't think we will see any more stock.

You could pair it up with the Yamaha CDN301 priced at £195.00 (Which is also a network streamer as well as a CD player.
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-200953-cdn301.aspx

Or to keep both item the same manufacturer there is the Yamaha AS501
    http://www.richersounds.ie/p-200899-as501.aspx

I could offer the AS501 along with the bronze 2's for £499 also.

Or one last option if the above units are too large.
    Denon DM40 along with the Bronze 2 speakers for £379.00
    http://www.richersounds.com/package/system-savers/mini-hi-fi-system-deals/pah012732

Let me know if any of the above catches your eye or if you have seen something different via the website.

Any questions please drop me a post or a PM.

Hi Blondeonblonde.

Any of the bookshelf / standmount speakers that we stock can sit on a shelf if you do not have the space for stands. 

We currently have a deal on the Marantz PM6005 with the Bronze 2 speakers priced at £499 (While stocks last, as the PM6005 is finishing up)

The matching CD player the CD6005 has already been discontinued and I don't think we will see any more stock.

You could pair it up with the Yamaha CDN301 priced at £195.00 (Which is also a network streamer as well as a CD player.

http://www.richersounds.com/package/system-savers/mini-hi-fi-system-deals/pah012732

Let me know if any of the above catches your eye or if you have seen something different via the website.

Thanks, I'd definitely want the streaming as well though so I'd be looking at the MCR611. Would the 549£ price above include cables and any other accessories I might need for set up? Also, do you have the system on display in store? I'm in Dublin but I'd like head up to check it out and have a listen first.

Thanks

Hi Blondeonblonde.

Thanks, I'd definitely want the streaming as well though so I'd be looking at the MCR611. Would the 549£ price above include cables and any other accessories I might need for set up? Also, do you have the system on display in store? I'm in Dublin but I'd like head up to check it out and have a listen first.

Thanks
    Hey Blondeonblonde.

Ah yes the MCR611, a very good all round little unit. Ticks a lot of boxes as it is well spec'd and compact.
    The bundle deal prices do not include cables unfortunately.

All you would require would be some speaker cable to connect the speakers to amp.
    This starts @ 99p per meter: 
    http://www.richersounds.ie/cssearch.aspx?searchterm=symphony%20100

We do have these items for Demo here at the Belfast store, although please do call us at the start of the week you wish to visit the store just to check that the items are still out on display / in stock.

Hey Blondeonblonde.

Ah yes the MCR611, a very good all round little unit. Ticks a lot of boxes as it is well spec'd and compact.

All you would require would be some speaker cable to connect the speakers to amp.

We do have these items for Demo here at the Belfast store, although please do call us at the start of the week you wish to visit the store just to check that the items are still out on display / in stock.

Thanks, last question - how much for delivery to Dublin?

Hey Blondeonblonde.

Thanks, last question - how much for delivery to Dublin?
    Hey blondeonblonde.

Delivery on our sterling prices would be £6.99 to anywhere in Ireland.

Leave a Comment

Rich Text Editor. To edit a paragraph's style, hit tab to get to the paragraph menu. From there you will be able to pick one style. Nothing defaults to paragraph. An inline formatting menu will show up when you select text. Hit tab to get into that menu. Some elements, such as rich link embeds, images, loading indicators, and error messages may get inserted into the editor. You may navigate to these using the arrow keys inside of the editor and delete them with the delete or backspace key.