Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First research thesis in M.Ed

• 29-08-2016 12:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭

Hi,

I've just entered the thesis part of my M.ed in teaching and technology and it's my first experience of ever doing any independent research, just wondering if anyone has any good sources or recommendations for getting started with thesis ideas, structure and so on. I've discovered Explorable.com and it appears to be quite good. Do any of you folks have any tips or pointers? All info greatly appreciated ;)

Cheers

J5

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

For thesis ideas, look at your daily practice. What can be improved? What problems do you encounter? What is a contemporary issue in relation to teaching that you think you can solve?

I probably should have asked this first, but are you a teacher? Or are you involved in teaching/education?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭JayC5

Thanks for your reply Tom,

Yes, I've been teaching English abroad for the past 3 years in South East Asia. I'm currently doing a Masters in Education (in Teaching and Technology) distance course. As the M.Ed includes a tech aspect I'll have to cover both topics as a research idea. I'm looking for any advice on completing a research experiment at all really, as it's my first attempt at it. Guides, blogs, Youtube channels, Facebook groups, websites, podcasts etc etc - all are welcome.

J5

Ok, if you want to do proper research, and assuming you are attending a reputable institution (as much as you can via distance learning), you can't rely on YouTube/Facebook and the rest.

Get yourself a proper research methods book. I would recommend Social Research Methods, 4th edition by Alan Bryman. If you want to take it even more seriously, Research Methods in Education by Cohen, Manion and Morrison.

The former is a very accessible introduction to general research methods. The latter is for the serious researcher and perhaps more if you want to progress on to doctoral level.

Having said that, are research methods included in your course?

• Registered Users Posts: 333 ✭✭JayC5

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    Ok, if you want to do proper research, and assuming you are attending a reputable institution (as much as you can via distance learning), you can't rely on YouTube/Facebook and the rest.

Get yourself a proper research methods book. I would recommend Social Research Methods, 4th edition by Alan Bryman. If you want to take it even more seriously, Research Methods in Education by Cohen, Manion and Morrison.

The former is a very accessible introduction to general research methods. The latter is for the serious researcher and perhaps more if you want to progress on to doctoral level.

Having said that, are research methods included in your course?

A looonnnng time in getting back to you with a reply on this, but many thanks for your help and recommendations

So how is it going?

• Advertisement
Advertisement