Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Engineers report" to get a quote

• 29-08-2016 1:04pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭

A word of warning (and a bit of a rant) more than anything else for car buyers.

Last year I bought my current car, a '08 FIAT Bravo 1.4. I got a motorcheck report on it at the time which turned up a 'condition warning' iirc- I was lead to believe at the time that it meant it was the subject of an insurance claim at some point.

I was given assurances that it was fairly normal and nothing to worry about had already noted that there was paintwork done to a high standard on the drivers side- I have a keen eye. The colour match was perfect but the clear coat was in need of further buffing. I wasn't put off by this and proceeded to get the car professionally inspected and they confirmed the car had some paintwork at some point but there was nothing of any concern.

I have put off my insurance hunt until the last minute due to personal constraints and I have taken the day off work to sort this out. I've gotten my renewal with AIG and it seems reasonable and others have quoted me including Libery, FBD, BOI, 25Plus (AIG). I tried the Aviva website and it instructed me to call and when I did, they told me the car was showing as "a write off" and that they'd need an "engineer's report" just to quote me. I tried the Allianz website and it also wouldn't quote me when I state my reg but when I enter the reg of an identical car I found on DoneDeal, it quotes. I have also tried Zurich who gave a guideline quote and when I called them, they told me they can't quote me over the phone and that I'd have to make a written quotation request- probably the same deal, I assume.

That escalated quickly I thought. When I bought the car I got it insured no problem and isn't the country is full of panel beaters with thousands of cars getting some paint and panel work? I can assure you my car is in exceptional condition- I made sure it was before I bought it so I don't understand about this rubbish about needing an engineers report. I mean how many insurance customers are being asked for engineers reports just to get a quote after some panel and paint work? And fwiw, it passed its NCT earlier this year.

How many cars in the country are in the same situation as mine? This just seems like another way this special breed of superhuman called the lesser spotted 'underwriter' /genuflects ... are making day to day life harder for honest civilians with their simply fab ideas about how the world works. A curse on their house.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 787 ✭✭✭RGS

You have indicated the car was showing as a "write off", more than likely a Cat C or Cat D, therefore the insurers are seeking an engineers report to confirm the car is roadworthy.
    insurers dont want to insure a car that could be dangerous and unroadworthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

RGS wrote: »
    You have indicated the car was showing as a "write off", more than likely a Cat C or Cat D, therefore the insurers are seeking an engineers report to confirm the car is roadworthy.
    insurers dont want to insure a car that could be dangerous and unroadworthy.

I had the car inspected and it's perfect. I did a work around to get the quote and they would have been off the mark anyway. I have no sympathy for insurance companies. I started driving in the last golden age of insurance exploitation.

I got the car insured and I had to produce no stinking engineer's report.

Advertisement