Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Drive though McDonalds Celbridge

Options
  • 29-08-2016 1:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭

Was just looking at the kildare county council planning list. McDonalds are after putting in permission for a drive though only restaurant in a part of the current Tesco carpark on the maynooth road.

Planning number 16919

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Buffman

scheister wrote: »
    Planning number 16886

Are you sure about that number? From what I can see that relates to the fuel station on the Clane Road, I don't see anything recent for the Tesco site on the online map.
    16/886
    Sofa Properties Ltd
    18/08/2016

1) the change of use of 32.8sq.m from the permitted
    storage area under Reg. Ref. 08/835 to commercial
    use incorporating 30.76sq.m for café/deli, 0.64sq.m
    retail area and 1.4sq.m general circulation space. 2)
    an increase to the net retail floor area of 51.25sq.m
    so that the overall total is now 143sq.m and 3)
    modifications to the storage area resulting in a
    storage area of 55.6sq.m and associated ancillary
    revisions. Permission is also sought for a single
    storey extension of 73sq.m to accommodate
    additional seating for the café/deli area and
    additional works and all consequent elevational
    alterations and works
    Topaz Service Station & Spar Shop
    Clane Road
    Celbridge
    Co. Kildare

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,589 ✭✭✭Stealthirl

This was on facebook the other day

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

Buffman wrote: »
    Are you sure about that number? From what I can see that relates to the fuel station on the Clane Road, I don't see anything recent for the Tesco site on the online map.
    Was looking at both yesterday will check number when I get into work

• Registered Users Posts: 1,309 ✭✭✭scheister

have corrected the planning number in the original post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

I'm thinking this will go into the space where the bottle banks are?
    Also, it seems to indicate drive through only, with outdoor seating, surely a walkin section would have to there aswell.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

Oh Christ this would be a BAD idea. Although I do like MacDonald's food I do think it will be a blight on the area generating a lot of rubbish. Hopefully if it gets the go ahead I'll be wrong:( Would locals welcome this I wonder?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,898 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Oh Christ this would be a BAD idea. Although I do like MacDonald's food I do think it will be a blight on the area generating a lot of rubbish. Hopefully if it gets the go ahead I'll be wrong:( Would locals welcome this I wonder?

McDonalds staff go out cleaning up - that'll likely even be made as an offer in the planning app. Go take a look at the Maynooth drivethrough if you want to see the impact (minimal) it has.

• Registered Users Posts: 758 ✭✭✭Movie Maestro

L1011 wrote: »
    McDonalds staff go out cleaning up - that'll likely even be made as an offer in the planning app. Go take a look at the Maynooth drivethrough if you want to see the impact (minimal) it has.

To be fair thats true. Fingers crossed :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Drive thru only? I've never seen a standalone McDs without an internal seating area apart from the express counter type ones you see in train stations or airports abroad. That's unusual.

Edit: just reading the planning app online now and it just seems to be a standard drive thru restaurant application so I expect there to be internal seating. 410 square meters would otherwise be a lot of space for just kitchen facilities without seating.

http://webgis.kildarecoco.ie/PlanningEnquiryLIte/Default.aspx?FullFileNumber=06a-16919&FromList=true

Are there schools nearby? They influenced the rejection of a KFC in Navan and McDonalds in Greystones recently as they said they'd be too much of a temptation for the school kids and would encourage obesity.

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭radharc

Nothing in the application says 'D/T only'.

• Advertisement

My main concern with this location is the extra traffic it's going to attract to the two already busy signalled junctions at Tesco.

If they'd used roundabouts like Maynooth, this wouldn't be an issue. As it is now, between the two poorly designed signalled junctions and the dangerous non-signalled concealed exit from Lidl/Primary Care Centre, the whole area is mess for traffic at peak times.
    ongarboy wrote: »
    Drive thru only? I've never seen a standalone McDs without an internal seating area apart from the express counter type ones you see in train stations or airports abroad. That's unusual.

Edit: just reading the planning app online now and it just seems to be a standard drive thru restaurant application so I expect there to be internal seating. 410 square meters would otherwise be a lot of space for just kitchen facilities without seating.

Ye, I was thinking the same, 'drive-thru' only wouldn't make any sense for an area as busy as that with potential 'walk in' customers.
    Are there schools nearby? They influenced the rejection of a KFC in Navan and McDonalds in Greystones recently as they said they'd be too much of a temptation for the school kids and would encourage obesity.

Given the scattered nature of the schools all over the town, it's probably one of the few sites in Celbridge where they won't be very close to a school. Maybe that's why they chose it given the recent issues in the other towns?

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Is there demand for it? Depending on which side of the bridge you live on there is a McDonalds 10 minutes away.. in Lucan or Maynooth.

This is the planned location afaik:

395902.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭corm500

mloc123 wrote: »
    Is there demand for it? Depending on which side of the bridge you live on there is a McDonalds 10 minutes away.. in Lucan or Maynooth.

Celbridge has a population of over 20,000, much bigger than Maynooth's, so I would say yes there is a demand for it. A town the size of Celbridge needs to be self contained and shouldnt be looking at traveling to other towns for this sort of thing.
    And i'm saying this as someone who is not a fan of McDonalds. But, live and let live.
    Not everything has to be a fine dining experience.

This is the planned location afaik:

It's actually the other top bit of the car park where the bottle banks are.

EDIT:My link to the view of the site from KCC planing system seems to keep disappearing, but if you go to the website and enter planning number 16919, you'll see the location.

The dot on the KCC planning website is not to be taken as meaning anything. You need the actual drawings to see where.

The dot on the KCC planning website is not to be taken as meaning anything. You need the actual drawings to see where.

Ye, I know the dots can be hit and miss sometimes, but the way they've outlined the site area in blue where no seperate site currently exists leads me to believe it's accurate.

Ye, I know the dots can be hit and miss sometimes, but the way they've outlined the site area in blue where no seperate site currently exists leads me to believe it's accurate.

The outlines are the land folio outlines. That's the entire centre there basically. It must cover more that one folio, but that outline is vastly bigger than the planning area.

The outlines are the land folio outlines. That's the entire centre there basically. It must cover more that one folio, but that outline is vastly bigger than the planning area.

No, I probably should have zoomed out a bit more. It's a small area of the car park and entrance that's highlighted. As far as I know it was never a seperate site before now.

The Tesco store is over to the left of the highlighted section of the car park/entrance.

6d83315e-45ce-4920-a3eb-119466ce7d48.PNG

It's actually the other top bit of the car park where the bottle banks are.

My link to the view of the site from KCC planing system seems to keep disappearing, but if you go to the website and enter planning number 16919, you'll see the location.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭brian_t

My link to the view of the site from KCC planing system seems to keep disappearing, but if you go to the website and enter planning number 16919, you'll see the location.

All the maps and plans have now been added.

• Advertisement

brian_t wrote: »
    All the maps and plans have now been added.

Ye, good detail there.

Looks like the Tesco entrance will become an even greater 'pinch' point for traffic, with the mainly used second turn into the Tesco side now sharing space with a pedestrian crossing and the entrance to the 'drive-thru'.

There's one drawing there which shows how a truck is supposed to deliver to Mc D's. It involves pulling in towards Tesco, stopping on the junction and crossing, reversing back diagonally across the pedestrian crossing and into the 'drive-thru'.

Rather him than me, but suppose I shouldn't be surprised given the maneuvers that trucks have to do to get into the Tesco delivery yard.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,701 ✭✭✭brian_t

One objection to date from Chestnut Grove Residents.

Not sure how it impacts Chestnut Grove directly.. apart from adding to the traffic on the Maynooth road

Edit: Just read the objection now, some of it is laughable... the rest is mostly "Not in my town"

• Registered Users Posts: 361 ✭✭NinetyForNone

LOL.. Who knew Big Macs where a gateway drug :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Edit: Just read the objection now, some of it is laughable... the rest is mostly "Not in my town"

Agreed, the only part of that submission I semi agree with is the increased traffic element, but the rest comes across as NIMBYism and hysterics.

I'm surprised Da Mario's and Halo haven't lodged anything.

That objection is actually cringeworthy.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Are there schools nearby?
    Yeah. One being built next to Lidl.

=-=

The objection isn't much of a surprise. It would create some local employment, and it'd be accessible from anyone on the east and south east of the village.

the_syco wrote: »
    Yeah. One being built next to Lidl.

=-=

The objection isn't much of a surprise. It would create some local employment, and it'd be accessible from anyone on the east and south east of the village.

What school is going in there? first I heard of it.

dobsdave wrote: »
    What school is going in there? first I heard of it.

The medical centre? Have not heard of any new school apart from the temporary one opposite Salesians.

I don't know if teenagers will walk down... Past Apple green, past macaris etc.. just for McDonalds.

The most annoying aspect of the objection to me is that they didn't even get the name correct... "MacDonalds"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Coopaloop

It's definitely a hse Centre going in beside lidil, the one opposite tesco is where it's currently at.

Really hate all these objections to things like this, it really is just from people who think it will cause teenagers hanging around, but they already do that at tesco and around the village anyway. I personally think it will be good for the town, new jobs etc... If they have proper security who move along the hangers on (unlike outside tesco, I've seen the security guard play football with them rather than move them along out of people's way trying to get a trolley or in the door)

Seriously hope it goes ahead anyway. Onwards and upwards (or outwards for our waistlines).

Advertisement