Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to buy a telescopic baton

• 29-08-2016 2:23pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭

First of all, I understand there are legal issues about owning and carrying batons etc, but please hear me out - firstly this is not for use in Ireland, secondly, this is to deter dogs! :o

Okay, so the context is like this - I am going away on holidays in November, and I would like to continue my current training of running 5-7k every couple of days. This place has a serious stray dog problem. There is always a threat of rabies as well. I was there two years ago, and after incident free three weeks, with just one week left for me return flight, I was bitten by a dog on - half a dozen holes on my left calf. Fecking thing sneaked up behind me and bit me. Various injections left my leg swollen and in so much pain - not to mention the mental tension and confusion to clarify if I could continue the anti-rabies course of injections back here in Ireland and what not. I have looked into things like Dog Dazer, but it's no good when dogs are sneaking up on you to bite you. A baton on the other hand, is always visible (even it's collapsed state) and can act as a deterrent. If the dog still goes for me, and if I see it, I can extend it and well... you can imagine what I am going to do if a stray dog comes at me again. Let's say I haven't forgotten the pain from last time.

I google'd everywhere despite mentions of cheap chinese ones, good ones from ASP etc I haven't been able to find any shop / online where I could buy one or two of these. Any thoughts are welcome!

Comments

You won't find shop in Ireland selling them, they are offensive weapons. And the dog won't be deterred by you having a baton on your belt, never stops them attacking cops do they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,354 ✭✭✭✭endacl

If the dog managed to sneak up and bite you before you noticed he was there, a baton wouldn't have stopped him.

Have you also considered the possibility that a dog might look at you and react with a "Human running with stick! Cool! Playplayplayplayplay". Would hardly be fair on the poor auld mutt if he got a whack for his troubles in that instance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,747 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

positron wrote: »

Similarly you might write a letter and present it to the dog prior to him/her mauling you... That would be a proper deterrent.

Personally I like to keep a poisoned steak in budgie smugglers, just in case I get bitten... can't for the life of me figure out why they keep going for the same area of my pants....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,873 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Rent a treadmill for the duration of your holiday?
    Much less hassle.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,410 ✭✭✭positron

Dogs there don't play 'fetch stick' game - I am not joking, there's no such practice there. Also dogs there are vary of sticks. Real simple least-techy solution that is rather common there is to carry a big old stick, and it works 100%. However it's a major hassle running with a stick. I thought a collapsible baton would like a flashlight while collapsed, and when I see dogs around I could extend it and dogs should get the message.

Anyway, ignoring the context, any online sources I can buy it from (could even ship straight to there, so no legal issues of it coming to Ireland even).

Thanks for the thoughts!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,891 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Can buy them online, but potentially confiscated, although worth a shot.

You can even buy electrified batons to 'deter' dogs... I bet you come out of it worse than the dog...

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Corbally

Depending on where you are going pepper spray is a better option. Standard issue to post men in many parts of the world.
    If you have your heart set on a batton there is 1 or 2 shops where you can get them but they are heavy. How are you going to carry it?

hanksy123 wrote: »
    Depending on where you are going pepper spray is a better option. Standard issue to post men in many parts of the world.
    If you have your heart set on a batton there is 1 or 2 shops where you can get them but they are heavy. How are you going to carry it?

Again, dogs may not see the spray as a threat as they have never experienced it - which is the same issue I have against Dog Dazer. I need a visible deterrent.

I was hoping to hold it while I run, not unlike a baton relay runner. Weight should be okay, bit of an arm work out while running. I won't be doing ultra distances - max 10k, if that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Where the hell are ya training??

• Advertisement

It's outskirts of a small town in Kerala, India.

Crazy stray dog problem there, since some animal welfare group successfully lobbied against culling dogs, dogs everywhere, and there are reports of little kids and frail old people getting mauled by packs of dogs. Yet, they are now debating if they should neuter wild dogs there.

For example:

3 including a 6 month old baby bitten by dogs
    Over 100000 dog bite incidents in 2016-16

It sounds drastic but obviously it's not dog-zombie-clipse or anything there, but but with so many dogs around, and most people driving or whatever, there's always the risk of getting a nip if you go for a jog when streets are clam. There's also real threat of rabies there - and I don't know if you guys know this, but once a dog goes proper rabid, it will take off like a rocket and bite anything and everything on it's way for kilometers (then you will have to do what I endured - dozen plus injections around the wound site, anti-rabies vaccine course which is usually 5 injections etc etc). It's fun.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Train here so

Cheers guys - I think I found the solution - should have looked closer to where I wanted to use it!

Amazon.in (India) has them - less than a tenner :D - Should be plenty enough for dogs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 646 ✭✭✭Yakov P. Golyadkin

Army Bargains off Capel Street were selling them some years back, not sure if they still are but worth a call.
    Apart from that, couldn't you get one when you're in India?

Just a word of warning... the Indian authorities would probably come down quite hard on someone carrying a weapon. I've traveled a bit around the country and the authorities don't have the lax attitude to lawlessness that some think... just sayin'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Bring a can of deodrant and spray them in the eyes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,536 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

why not buy a walking stick or something similar over there? do you think a dog will be deterred by you carrying a 4-6inch baton in your hand?

Army Bargains off Capel Street were selling them some years back, not sure if they still are but worth a call.
    Apart from that, couldn't you get one when you're in India?

Big country, and were I will be shops don't sell this sort of stuff.

I am sorted! I've ordered online (see my earlier post) and it should be delivered to about a week. :) Thanks for all the thoughts and comments. I will check out the Army Supplies shop next time in town. Cheers.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,813 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Are they not illegal to import into ireland?

http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/1991/si/66/made/en/print

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

positron wrote:
    Cheers guys - I think I found the solution - should have looked closer to where I wanted to use it!

Amazon.in (India) has them - less than a tenner :D - Should be plenty enough for dogs.
    Amazon.in wrote:
    Great protection against aggressors, rapists and vicious dogs by delivering a massive painful yet non-lethal shock

This Amazon.in listing is brought to you by the Tourism Board of India.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭Titanucd

How are you going to get it out of the country? Is it legal to take a telescopic baton on a plane? even in hold luggage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,891 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Titanucd wrote: »
    How are you going to get it out of the country? Is it legal to take a telescopic baton on a plane? even in hold luggage?

I'd say they're pretty easy to transport. Looks like one third of a camera tripod or something.

+1 to above. Speaking of which, I actually have a Feisol carbon fibre monopod, which could have worked as a stick (very lightweight, and over 6 foot fully extended). However, it takes a while to extend it section by section.

Anyway, in my case, it's getting delivered directly to where I want to use it. So no need to take it anywhere else now. :)

Advertisement