Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Computer Apps INTRA placement

Options
  • 29-08-2016 2:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭

Hey :)

I'm a third year computer apps student and I'm wondering what the chances are of getting a development role for my INTRA placement would be? My grades are 1.1 for first year and 2.1 for second year.

Any input from current 4th years or graduates from Computer Apps on your experience with INTRA would be greatly appreciated.

Also, have many of you any of you ended up coding in Java on your placement?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Monaco1989

Drezden wrote: »
    Hey :)

I'm a third year computer apps student and I'm wondering what the chances are of getting a development role for my INTRA placement would be? My grades are 1.1 for first year and 2.1 for second year.

Any input from current 4th years or graduates from Computer Apps on your experience with INTRA would be greatly appreciated.

Also, have many of you any of you ended up coding in Java on your placement?

Just graduated from CA. Averaged a high 2.2 in 2nd year. Was in a development role on INTRA mainly working on Java with some SQL and a bit of front-end (angular). Great experience. Also got taken back on a permanent contract after 4th year starting in June just gone.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Drezden

Monaco1989 wrote: »
    Just graduated from CA. Averaged a high 2.2 in 2nd year. Was in a development role on INTRA mainly working on Java with some SQL and a bit of front-end (angular). Great experience. Also got taken back on a permanent contract after 4th year starting in June just gone.

Awesome, cheers Monaco and congrats on getting hired directly from your placement.

Did most of your mates in your year have a similar experience, getting good development positions?

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Monaco1989

Drezden wrote: »
    Awesome, cheers Monaco and congrats on getting hired directly from your placement.

Did most of your mates in your year have a similar experience, getting good development positions?

Everyone I talked to seemed to be doing at least a bit of development, not always Java and it's quite common for people to get taken back on after they finish up.

One piece of advice I'd give you, at the start of the application process the INTRA office will tell you to apply for everything, I wouldn't recommend this as the policy seems to be that if you get offered one of the positions (after the interview process) you have to take it.
    Be picky (to an extent) and apply for the ones that appeal to you most, that's what I did anyway and I was sorted with my job, by the start of November.

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭Drezden

Monaco1989 wrote: »
    Everyone I talked to seemed to be doing at least a bit of development, not always Java and it's quite common for people to get taken back on after they finish up.

One piece of advice I'd give you, at the start of the application process the INTRA office will tell you to apply for everything, I wouldn't recommend this as the policy seems to be that if you get offered one of the positions (after the interview process) you have to take it.
    Be picky (to an extent) and apply for the ones that appeal to you most, that's what I did anyway and I was sorted with my job, by the start of November.

Ah right. Sound, thanks for that man.

Advertisement