Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mulch mowers

Options
  • 29-08-2016 3:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭

Hi there
    Hope I'm in the right place. Can anyone tell me if it's possible to convert a rear grass box mower to a mulch one. I realise that the blade will probably have to be changed but is there anything else to be done.
    The mower I have is old but in perfect working order,5hp B&S, but the place I used to dispose of the grass has gone.
    Thanks.
    Odyssey

Comments

There is usually a plastic plug you insert in the back where the grass comes out. If you the brand of mower you might be able to find out online or ask at a lawnmower dealer.

Lawnmowers that do mulch or collect use the same blade. Be prepared to cut the grass every four to five days during the summer if you are using a collecting mower to mulch

What brand of mower is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Mas port Maxicatch 500
    Has a 5 hp b+S.
    Don't mind cutting. Terraputic:)

What would I search for on line?. Could be embarrassed if I look for a plug for the back of my mower :).

Here ta go. This is off a an Australian website but at least it tells us what you are looking for and you could ask a dealer that sells masport

https://www.allmowerspares.com.au/genuine-masport-18-inch-mulching-plug-583173.html

I actually Googled them this afternoon,every day's a school day !. Thank you for your help and direction. Will let my fingers do the walking tomorrow..
    Odyssey.

• Advertisement

Apparently a mulch plug is not available for my machine. :(. Need to buy a need mower. Fkcu!

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭howdoyouknow

If its an old mower and your in any way handy all you have to do is make some sort of plate to cover on in blade side of the hole where the grass normally gets blown out. A bit of flexible plastic or aluminium and some scres and galvoband. Fit a mulching blade and off you go.

Apparently a mulch plug is not available for my machine. :(. Need to buy a need mower. Fkcu!

If your mower has an 18 inch deck a mulch plug should work from whatever the new model of 18 inch mower is.

Advertisement