Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Honda Civic auto idle stop - no longer working

• 29-08-2016 4:06pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭

Honda Civic 131
    So I go on holidays for 7 days and since I've returned the auto idle stop/start is not working. I am aware it won't kick in when AC is on so that's not the problem.
    I've been driving around now for 2 weeks and still no joy, granted my journeys are short.

I rang Honda and spoke to the salesman who I bought from and he said the battery might need to be topped up, surely that's what the alternator should be doing right??
    Seriously, would you expect the battery to lose that much juice when parked up for 1 week during the summer months?

I'll bring it back to the dealership and they will sort it out but I'd like to know a bit more about it myself first.

Anyone else experience this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

Honda Civic 131
    So I go on holidays for 7 days and since I've returned the auto idle stop/start is not working. ?

nasa-celebration.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

:D
    I hear ya Special...but still, even though I don't use it I'd like to know why the bloody thing isn't working? Is it related to another problem, battery, alternator etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,040 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

:D
    I hear ya Special...but still, even though I don't use it I'd like to know why the bloody thing isn't working? Is it related to another problem, battery, alternator etc.

A week with the alarm on and only short journeys would not give the alternator enough time to recharge the battery. If you can take it for an hour long spin the battery should recover, if stop start still isn't working there's something wrong.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Chippy01

OP, batteries can start failing for a myriad of reasons.
    In the handbook of my OH's Civic, it states that if the battery charge level falls below a certain point, the stop/start function won't work. What it doesn't tell you however, is what that certain point is.
    Check the battery for distilled water and top up if necessary, then hook up a good battery charger overnight. If you have a meter, check the battery power level before and after charging.
    You can check the output of the alternator with the same meter to eliminate/confirm any issue there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,061 ✭✭✭kirving

I wouldn't worry about it OP, give it a long run or wait another week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,403 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

I had this in my 12 civic. It stopped working for two weeks or so and then it came back. I would not worry about it. I switch it off all the time now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,447 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

thanks for the info folks, I'll go for a long spin at the weekend so. Yep, the moment I see it back working I'll disable it from then on as before :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,715 ✭✭✭corks finest

Honda Civic 131
    So I go on holidays for 7 days and since I've returned the auto idle stop/start is not working. I am aware it won't kick in when AC is on so that's not the problem.
    I've been driving around now for 2 weeks and still no joy, granted my journeys are short.

I rang Honda and spoke to the salesman who I bought from and he said the battery might need to be topped up, surely that's what the alternator should be doing right??
    Seriously, would you expect the battery to lose that much juice when parked up for 1 week during the summer months?

I'll bring it back to the dealership and they will sort it out but I'd like to know a bit more about it myself first.

Anyone else experience this?
    Possibly battery,gearbox oil changed? Have an insight,and can happen if auto climate is changed,or temperature us too hot in cabin etc, Honda insights have similar problems if the 12 v battery is run down/knackered

Advertisement