Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recruitment 2017 ?

• 29-08-2016 4:55pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭

Any news/rumours of a new recruitment campaign next year?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭AudiKid

MrBlack93 wrote: »
    Any news/rumours of a new recruitment campaign next year?

A new campaign will be advertised in December

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭MrBlack93

AudiKid wrote: »
    A new campaign will be advertised in December

Where's this glorious bit of news coming from? :D:D:D:D:D

Heard a rumour from a friend in AGS that assured me that a new recruitment drive was coming

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭MondeoMan92

Judging by the last 2 ( including this one) there should be another one in 2018. The previous ones have lasted two years each. 2013-2015, 2016-2018?

Judging by the last 2 ( including this one) there should be another one in 2018. The previous ones have lasted two years each. 2013-2015, 2016-2018?

That's what I'm anticipating to be honest.

Were pre-2013 recruitment campaigns done on an annual basis?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 138 ✭✭Turbo T

Were pre-2013 recruitment campaigns done on an annual basis?

No. They were bi yearly. Last one before 2013 was May 2008.

Bi Yearly = twice a year

or

Bi yearly = once every 2 years

?

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭MondeoMan92

Bi Yearly = twice a year

or

Bi yearly = once every 2 years

?

Every 2 years there was a campaign with multiple intakes over that time period. At one stage they were processing 800-1000 per year

There were 2 campaigns a year during accelerated recruitment with 4 intakes per year with roughly 250 per intake.

Accelerated recruitment started in 2004 and stopped in 2009 when the public service embargo was put in place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭AudiKidd

Where's this glorious bit of news coming from? :D:D:D:D:D

Heard a rumour from a friend in AGS that assured me that a new recruitment drive was coming

A serving Garda that I know told me that loads of people failed stages/ never showed up, and they got through the whole competition sooner then expected.

Also, because they are accelerating recruitment to get to 15,000, they have to advertise a new campaign in December for 2017.

• Advertisement

AudiKidd wrote: »
    A serving Garda that I know told me that loads of people failed stages/ never showed up, and they got through the whole competition sooner then expected.

Also, because they are accelerating recruitment to get to 15,000, they have to advertise a new campaign in December for 2017.

Unless the garda who told you that is a senior member it just seems like anecdotal speculation. I don't think they've exhausted the current competition as I know someone who passed stage 1 but with a low score who is still awaiting progression to stage two. Although it may be true that they may have exhausted the upper band?

I've been in contact with a test preparation company who are holding a stage 1 preparation course in November, they've informed me that they also expect a new recruitment campaign soon.

Unless the garda who told you that is a senior member it just seems like anecdotal speculation. I don't think they've exhausted the current competition as I know someone who passed stage 1 but with a low score who is still awaiting progression to stage two. Although it may be true that they may have exhausted the upper band?

I've been in contact with a test preparation company who are holding a stage 1 preparation course in November, they've informed me that they also expect a new recruitment campaign soon.

Hey MrBlack, in your first post you asked about rumours, so I told you what I've heard. If you don't want speculation, then why ask the question?

There are no officially no bands in this campaign. People get called forwards in groups, but the individuals just have OOM numbers, and not the group.

There will be a new campaign advertised in December. I don't care whether you believe me oe not.

Good stuff. Hope you're right!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 gda

lads ye need to really consider whether or not the job is something you really want. i hate to be the bearer of bad news but its not all sweetness and light once you are out there doing it for real. the money is appalling and quite honestly it is barely sufficient to live on. the lack of a rent allowance is another major factor to consider. dont get me wrong the job is enjoyable. its varied, exciting and you will work with great people but you will be on a different payscale and thats creates a natural division whether people want to admit it or not. you will be doing the same work as them but for a lot less. after a bad day at work , that thought is hard to take. all i will say is for your own future happiness , please take all the pros and cons into consideration before committing to it because it is a big commitment. i hope i m not raining on anyones parade , i just think it is important to know how difficult it is to live and work on the current salary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭ForeverYoung90

gda wrote: »
    lads ye need to really consider whether or not the job is something you really want. i hate to be the bearer of bad news but its not all sweetness and light once you are out there doing it for real. the money is appalling and quite honestly it is barely sufficient to live on. the lack of a rent allowance is another major factor to consider. dont get me wrong the job is enjoyable. its varied, exciting and you will work with great people but you will be on a different payscale and thats creates a natural division whether people want to admit it or not. you will be doing the same work as them but for a lot less. after a bad day at work , that thought is hard to take. all i will say is for your own future happiness , please take all the pros and cons into consideration before committing to it because it is a big commitment. i hope i m not raining on anyones parade , i just think it is important to know how difficult it is to live and work on the current salary

The pay will improve in the near future. Its all swings and roundabouts like everything else. There is already talk of reintroducing the rent allowance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Gnr_Iver

http://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/garda-boost-as-force-plans-to-recruit-more-than-500-trainees-next-year-419712.html

Things are looking promising for the coming months with a new recruitment campaign being announced shortly.

And its up on Public Jobs !!

September 2016 recruitment drive

Turbo T wrote: »
    And its up on Public Jobs !!

September 2016 recruitment drive

This campaign was barely advertised compared to previous ones.

I can see a smaller number applying this time around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 834 ✭✭✭Heart Break Kid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

So the Trainees from this new campaign will be €579 better off than their 2013 and 2016 campaign counterparts.....

It was €23,171
    This new campaign states €23,750

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Dublingarda

Anyone having problems downloading the application form??

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭misslemon

Anyone having problems downloading the application form??

I can't download it. I thought it was because I crashed out last time, maybe it's too soon for me to reapply on the public jobs system?

I have tried two phone and home PC and both won't open. So must be a public jobs problems

I have tried two phone and home PC and both won't open. So must be a public jobs problems

Thanks. Hopefully that's the issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Wax100

You have to download the latest adobe flash reader to open the files.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭Wax100

You have to download the latest adobe flash reader to open the files.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭eraj

I am very happy to test myself again, just failed stage 2.
    hopefully I b lucky this time
    for sure excited agian

I have tried two phones and my home PC. Updated adobe. And still can't download it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Anybody know the story with increments ?

Are they frozen till 2018?

The gra website is indicating that they are still being applied !

• Advertisement

Canyon86 wrote: »
    Anybody know the story with increments ?

Are they frozen till 2018?

The gra website is indicating that they are still being applied !

What type of increments? FEMPI is still in force meaning increments only start after 2 years of service. So you maintain 23k for 3 years before moving up for reasons such as service or have a degree..

I could be wrong but I think the GRA is taking posting ballots from their membership throughout September about whether or not they want to take industrial action over wages. So the wage situation may change over the course of this recruitment drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭YiddoOConnell

Link to new recruitment campaign?

Does this link work?

What type of increments? FEMPI is still in force meaning increments only start after 2 years of service. So you maintain 23k for 3 years before moving up for reasons such as service or have a degree..

Yes the increments for degree and leaving Cert honours in core subjects

Personally I don't think I could survive on 20-23 k in Dublin or a city paying rent and a car it's not realistic

I m hoping the wages improve before I go any further

I have tried two phones and my home PC. Updated adobe. And still can't download it

I have mine there I can send it on to an email address perhaps it will work for you?

I don't remember having to fill out a form like this last September, is it similar to the form b that you usually fill in before the interview stage?

I down loaded the Adobe update and it still won't open for me. Might try a friend's computer over the weekend.

• Advertisement

misslemon wrote: »
    I don't remember having to fill out a form like this last September, is it similar to the form b that you usually fill in before the interview stage?

I down loaded the Adobe update and it still won't open for me. Might try a friend's computer over the weekend.

Yeah this form wasn't necessary for last years recruitment. Think it must be a new element for the ''accelerated recruitment'' ? Maybe someone else can shed some light on this though

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭eoinkildare

Increments are indeed still frozen. New recruits are not receiving increments for now thanks the FEMPI legislation.

Canyon86 wrote: »
    Yes the increments for degree and leaving Cert honours in core subjects

Personally I don't think I could survive on 20-23 k in Dublin or a city paying rent and a car it's not realistic

I m hoping the wages improve before I go any further

Well you're luck you might not get posted in Dublin. Could be lucky and sent to Longford... rents awfully cheap.

Noticed this on the Garda Facebook. Appears they may have gotten too many white males.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Gardahopeful17

Hi folks just wondering. Im from Northern Ireland and want/need to know what the entry education qualifications are? Hoping to apply in the next intake and would be keen to know what equivelant i need. Cheers

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 Gardahopeful17

Hi folks just wondering. Im from Northern Ireland and want/need to know what the entry education qualifications are? Hoping to apply in the next intake and would be keen to know what equivelant i need. Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭vardy98

Did anyone hear anything about a new garda recruitment competition for 2017 I'm waiting hear patiently but I have heard nothing nor seen anything about it, could anyone shed any light on this for me, thanks in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Cocopops24

vardy98 wrote: »
    Did anyone hear anything about a new garda recruitment competition for 2017 I'm waiting hear patiently but I have heard nothing nor seen anything about it, could anyone shed any light on this for me, thanks in advance.
    It more than likely won't be until the second half of the year! You can make an account on Public Jobs and subscribe to alerts for the security section. You'll get an email when the new competition opens then!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,304 ✭✭✭madcabbage

Nothing set in stone, but from what this article is suggesting, they will be recruting for quite some time;

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/garda-to-spend-4-5m-on-facilities-for-new-members-1.2932100

So is there going to be a new recruitment campaign in March or April, or is it just going to be advertised then. I thought it wouldn't be until around August. Any one anything to add.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭User16

vardy98 wrote: »

April apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jacknuig

Hey, I know this question varies individually and its like asking how long is a piece of string, but if say, the recruitment drive begins in April, how long would you expect the entire process of recruitment (i.e. pass the PCT) to take?

jacknuig wrote: »
    Hey, I know this question varies individually and its like asking how long is a piece of string, but if say, the recruitment drive begins in April, how long would you expect the entire process of recruitment (i.e. pass the PCT) to take?

My own experience:
    2016-February-Aptitudes
    2016-July-Assessment Centre
    2016-October-Interview
    2017-January-Medical

(Waiting for PCT date now)

It depends on a lot of things but firstly it's the aptitudes results that can put you through faster so focus on them if you want a good start,

Good luck

So they next campaign is due to start in April then, I saw on Facebook that a new campaign is due to start soon, just how soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭Cocopops24

The new campaign will more than likely be June/July

• Advertisement
Advertisement