Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recruitment 2017 ?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Henry2006

gda wrote: »
    lads ye need to really consider whether or not the job is something you really want. i hate to be the bearer of bad news but its not all sweetness and light once you are out there doing it for real. the money is appalling and quite honestly it is barely sufficient to live on. the lack of a rent allowance is another major factor to consider. dont get me wrong the job is enjoyable. its varied, exciting and you will work with great people but you will be on a different payscale and thats creates a natural division whether people want to admit it or not. you will be doing the same work as them but for a lot less. after a bad day at work , that thought is hard to take. all i will say is for your own future happiness , please take all the pros and cons into consideration before committing to it because it is a big commitment. i hope i m not raining on anyones parade , i just think it is important to know how difficult it is to live and work on the current salary
    Good to get such an insight, thanks for your openness

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭User16

Henry2006 wrote: »

28,500 isn't bad money

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

Henry2006 wrote: »

The original quote is 6 months
    The pay is better now, rent allowance is back

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 521 ✭✭✭JKerova1

User16 wrote: »
    28,500 isn't bad money

Is that def what you start out on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 139 ✭✭ArifI

I think you start on 184 a week- but on the other hand you are getting trained, a degree on policing, accomodation, food, experience. not too bad. you gotta keep on keeping on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,223 ✭✭✭Canyon86

ArifI wrote: »
    I think you start on 184 a week- but on the other hand you are getting trained, a degree on policing, accomodation, food, experience. not too bad. you gotta keep on keeping on.

Yep spot on arifl, for anybody interested in the pay etc for trainees, the GRA have an update section on it, see link :)

After your time in templemore you attest and move on to 28,405 basic plus allowances 2-3000 approx, fair to say all in all you ll be over 30,000 at this point

http://www.gra.cc/TraineeGardai.html

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭jacknuig

After two years, A man who has a degree and the leaving cert requirements can still move up 4 increments on the pay scale (3 for the degree and 1 for the leaving cert), am I correct in saying this?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭OhThatsGreasy

jacknuig wrote: »
    After two years, A man who has a degree and the leaving cert requirements can still move up 4 increments on the pay scale (3 for the degree and 1 for the leaving cert), am I correct in saying this?

"Additional increments are payable to a Garda who hold any of the following qualifications on appointment to An Garda Síochána.

(i) One Additional increment in respect of at least one Grade B and two Grade C in three subjects (which must include Mathematics and English or Irish) at honours level in the Established Leaving Certificate Examination or Leaving Certificate Vocational Programme; or
    (ii) Three additional increments in respect of a Diploma or Degree from a third-level educational institution. The Degree/Diploma must be full time, of two/four year duration, and be awarded by a third level institution recognised by the H.E.T.A.C., or recognised Irish statutory authority
    On successful completion of two years service, members may apply through the channels for these increments to Assistant Comissioner Human Resource Management.
    "

http://www.gra.ie/TraineeGardai.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭DooraGirl

Women get it too apparently ;)

Happy International Womens Day :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭OhThatsGreasy

DooraGirl wrote: »

:D:D:D

"Additional increments are payable to a Garda who hold any of the following qualifications on appointment to An Garda Síochána.

(i) One Additional increment in respect of at least one Grade B and two Grade C in three subjects (which must include Mathematics and English or Irish) at honours level in the Established Leaving Certificate Examination or Leaving Certificate Vocational Programme; or
    (ii) Three additional increments in respect of a Diploma or Degree from a third-level educational institution. The Degree/Diploma must be full time, of two/four year duration, and be awarded by a third level institution recognised by the H.E.T.A.C., or recognised Irish statutory authority
    On successful completion of two years service, members may apply through the channels for these increments to Assistant Comissioner Human Resource Management.
    "

http://www.gra.ie/TraineeGardai.html

Raging I only did pass Maths. Honours in everything else! Never knew that decision would come back to haunt me : D

I was referring to myself when I said man!! Happy Women's day all the same though! And cheers for the answer Greasy!

Raging I only did pass Maths. Honours in everything else! Never knew that decision would come back to haunt me : D

Exact same here, dropped the day if the exam even though I got a C in the mocks! :(

I was referring to myself when I said man!! Happy Women's day all the same though! And cheers for the answer Greasy!

I was only gowling ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 398 ✭✭Henry2006

:):):)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭User16

Messed up stage 2 in Feb. Passed 3 failed 1. Failed a test I had previously passed, how frustrating. Waited for new campaign before I got too old to apply. It came out this week. Was thrilled. Due to age limit they put on it this time, I'm 5 months too old
    aarrgh
    Gutted :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 468 ✭✭Elliot192

User16 wrote: »
    Messed up stage 2 in Feb. Passed 3 failed 1. Failed a test I had previously passed, how frustrating. Waited for new campaign before I got too old to apply. It came out this week. Was thrilled. Due to age limit they put on it this time, I'm 5 months too old
    aarrgh
    Gutted :(

Really sorry to hear that, mate. You're probably not in the head space for it right now, but 35 is not too old to apply for the PSNI, if that helps.

Advertisement