Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Event - 7th September 2016

Options
  • 29-08-2016 5:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭

Apple has just sent out invites to their September event, as rumoured it's happening on the 7th.

We'll almost definitely will see an updated iPhone (probably called 7) with removed headphone jack, tweaked iPhone 6 design, capacitive/3D touch home button and the usual specs and camera upgrades (it may be waterproof or already water resistant). The Plus model will supposedly get a few extras such as a dual camera.

The Apple Watch 2 is also highly likely to he unveiled. All I've seen so far is GPS support and faster internals, maybe a bigger battery. But very similar design to last year.

Looks like it'll be a smaller update cycle this year, the MacBook Pro redesign isn't expected until later in the year, so probably won't be shown next week.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

A couple of years ago these threads would be on fire with anticipation and speculation before an iPhone launch.

The network operator forums would have people screaming at the reps wanting a launch date.

No one is that bothered now as the pace of innovation in hardware is at a crawl.

I have a launch day iPhone 6 and had been upgrading every two years but won't bother this time as the rumoured 7 is effectively the same phone body.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

maximum12 wrote: »
    A couple of years ago these threads would be on fire with anticipation and speculation before an iPhone launch.

The network operator forums would have people screaming at the reps wanting a launch date.

No one is that bothered now as the pace of innovation in hardware is at a crawl.

I have a launch day iPhone 6 and had been upgrading every two years but won't bother this time as the rumoured 7 is effectively the same phone body.

I had a launch day 6 plus and after the initial excitement of running to the courier depot, about an hour later I was bored! Was expecting something more

I now have a work provided SE and it's more than fine for me and I'm not paying €65 for 24 months for the privilege any more. The SE is a very fast decent iPhone. Downside is the smaller screen and no force touch but otherwise is fine. It's a 6s in an iPhone 5 body

If apple don't make 64gb the entry level storage (or 32gb, assuming they skip 32gb as they are now) then they're done for. Take a 4K video on your lovely dual camera 7 plus and watch your 16gb go up in smoke after 1 minute of video :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

I'm going to buy one outright. This paying mad money for 2 years is done with for me. My 6 has had a rough couple of years I definetely need the upgrade, just to get Touch ID back is enough of a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I agree with the general consensus here. A few years back I would of been really anticipating the new iPhone. I've been on the two year cycle since the 4, having the 3GS for a few months before that.

The momentum behind these events doesn't seem to be anywhere close to what it used to be. It's not all down to the lackluster release though, the smartphone market is pretty mature at this stage, there's not a lot they can do. With the rumoured anniversary model being a huge overhaul next year it's probably why not much is being updated here.

For me, I've been stuck using a 5c the past few months so I'm in bad need of a new phone. I'll be getting the 7 unless there's a major catch or downside. If I was using the 6 or 6s I would find it harder to justify the upgrade. Looking at the rumours, there really isn't anything feature wise that the average person will notice. The headphone jack doesn't bother me at all, if it leads to water resistance I'll be happy. But other than the usual spec updates the rumours don't point to anything new here. I can't see any big surprises either. The Apple Watch refresh seems to be pretty minor too, there'll be a lot of unhappy Apple fans after next week I'd imagine, unless your following the rumour blogs and are prepared for the disappointing update.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

I'm in the same boat. Launch 6 and I'm not getting the 7. Before the 6 I would get a new iPhone every year. The 6 is the first one I've kept for two years and definitely the first one I'll be keeping for three. It's just a pity it's got a dodgy mute switch that does to stay mute properly unless I wiggle it a bit, and then it still comes out of mute by itself :(

The 6s wasn't enough of an upgrade to warrant the change, and it's
    Looking like the 7 won't be either.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

I've had every edition of iPhone but in March I decided to sell the 6s and go with s7edge super phone but I don't like using android, so I'll be getting the iPhone 7 I really think Apple is missing a trick with phone sizes I can't see my self going back to the standard size I'll probably go the plus route.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I just updated my 6 16gb to the 6S Plus 64gb (mainly for the storage space) so I'm good for a while. I am due an phone upgrade in May next year, so I'll at least hold off until then, if I even feel the need to upgrade after the event.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

I would miss the headphone jack... I use Spotify all the time and so need to plug the phone into a aux in the car. Also - when out and about - I like to listen to music if I browsing the shops. To me - its VERY important. Much more so than 2 x cameras....really 2 cameras??????

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

Id like to add. That I'm not happy with Apple putting all the goodies into the plus iPhone. Not everyone wants a gigantasourus phone. The 4.7 inch screen is plenty big for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I don't know the last time I used the headphone jack. Wireless speakers and headphones have been the best things I ever bought. I really only ever used wired headphones on a flight when you can't have Bluetooth on. I wouldn't miss it but I can't justify upgrading from a 6 to a 7 when I need a new laptop! I'm more interested as to what they may or may not announce in that line of products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,484 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Masala wrote: »
    I would miss the headphone jack... I use Spotify all the time and so need to plug the phone into a aux in the car. Also - when out and about - I like to listen to music if I browsing the shops. To me - its VERY important. Much more so than 2 x cameras....really 2 cameras??????

Do you think that Apple won't provide a solution for this ,as your situation is very similar to millions of users?

The phone is bound to come with a 3.5mm adaptor that would go on your headphones so you can use them as normal.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

The lower expectations are a good thing and I think will lead to many people will be pleasantly surprised.

I'm expecting:

- Significantly superior battery life, probably the biggest jump in a iPhone model to date
    - Significantly better camera
    - 32GB at low end
    - Wireless headphones

Many people will still complain that it looks the same, but if it has even 3 of the above, I think it will be more than enough to make 5sers and 6ers want to upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

murpho999 wrote: »
    Do you think that Apple won't provide a solution for this ,as your situation is very similar to millions of users?

The phone is bound to come with a 3.5mm adaptor that would go on your headphones so you can use them as normal.
    There'll be a €50 splitter cable that lets you use a 3.5mm jack in the lightning port. Apple don't ship lucrative adapters with their devices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

The lower expectations are a good thing and I think will lead to many people will be pleasantly surprised.

I'm expecting:

- Significantly superior battery life, probably the biggest jump in a iPhone model to date
    - Significantly better camera
    - 32GB at low end
    - Wireless headphones

Many people will still complain that it looks the same, but if it has even 3 of the above, I think it will be more than enough to make 5sers and 6ers want to upgrade.

Fast charging would be nice also very handy feature. I found the 6s battery to be pretty good for an iPhone but longer battery life is always welcome.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

I see Tim Cooke taking the stage, announcing that Apple can't bring out a new iPhone, because Ireland have screwed them out of €13 billion.......;)

Wireless headphones seem like a pretty sure thing.

Not sure about the Apple Watch. It looks like a dead duck at this stage, but they might try and revamp interest by introducing more reasonable price points.

Or iPhone 7 will retail in Ireland for 1,759 :D

Crazy tax bill but I'll imagine it will be tied up in courts and appeals for months to years. Even Ireland are supposedly appealing the decision, rather than accepting the 13b.

I honestly can't see any surprises with the iPhone this year. Leaks are just too solid, I know they'll make it sound amazing but I just don't see it being a big upgrade this year.

I've been holding out this year for the result of this launch. Either way I'm going to take the plunge and give it a go this year to and see how it works (or doesn't).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

seamus wrote: »
    Wireless headphones seem like a pretty sure thing.

Not sure about the Apple Watch. It looks like a dead duck at this stage, but they might try and revamp interest by introducing more reasonable price points.

They'd be mad to remove the wired headphone jack and replace it with a different set of wires. I'd love to see wireless headphones in the box, but I suspect they'll be extra, similar to the pencil.

There'll be a €50 splitter cable that lets you use a 3.5mm jack in the lightning port. Apple don't ship lucrative adapters with their devices.

I think this is different as so many people use different headphones. They would only lose customers because of it, including their own ones who buy the Beats brand.

murpho999 wrote: »
    I think this is different as so many people use different headphones. They would only lose customers because of it, including their own ones who buy the Beats brand.
    I really don't think so. You could easily make the same argument when they removed the 30-pin dock; so many people with so many different peripherals that relied on the 30-pin dock. But they removed it anyway.

And being perfectly honest, the kind of people who are precious about their headphones are also the kind of people willing to spend money on an adaptor.

The vast majority of people will just use whatever earphones get bundled with the phone.

I really don't think so. You could easily make the same argument when they removed the 30-pin dock; so many people with so many different peripherals that relied on the 30-pin dock. But they removed it anyway.

And being perfectly honest, the kind of people who are precious about their headphones are also the kind of people willing to spend money on an adaptor.

The vast majority of people will just use whatever earphones get bundled with the phone.

I wonder. I think a headphone change affects millions more people that those who use peripherals.

Time shall tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Dublinstiofán

They'll include an adaptor in the first (and possibly second) release so there isn't complete outrage. Then they will remove it in future similar to the iPhone 2G coming with a dock and this became an optional extra shortly after.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Where are all the "experts" saying the iPhone 7 wouldn't be here until 2017, and this would be a tick-tock-tock release.

Painful.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Masala wrote: »

Bluetooth headphones

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

Bluetooth headphones

Looks like thats the way to go..... I guess at my age I finding it hard to change!!! Old school and all that!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

if the outside is the exact same as the iphone 6 i wont bother. I have the 6 plus. I think it would be hard to justify a change.

• Advertisement

Surprised so many are put off by the same design, for me it's the lack of 'new' features that would keep me from upgrading. I just can't see anything this year feature wise as the big pull, all I've read really is the waterproofing. Even that won't swing people and it might not even be a reality.

I'd also be shocked if Apple include anything other than a lightning equipped pair of EarPods. It would be out of character for them to include wireless, as they would cost a lot more than the wired pair. Also, they will almost certainly not bundle in an adapted, they've never done it with the switch to lightning, USB-C or even dropping FireWire back in the day. I wouldn't expect them to this time either, especially with Bluetooth accessories so popular at this stage.

Advertisement