Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Event - 7th September 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

murpho999 wrote: »
    I would really expect Apple to ship an adaptor with the phone. Lose too many customers otherwise. This is different to dropping floppy and cd drives.

Agree - but having said that a dedicated lighting cable would definitely be better than an adapter which adds extra bulk on the cable.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I would really expect Apple to ship an adaptor with the phone. Lose too many customers otherwise. This is different to dropping floppy and cd drives.

I'd rather a cable made by Bose than have a cable by Bose going into an adaptor.

Time will tell if this is different than the floppy/cd drives jury is still out considering general tech populous were having the same discussions re floppy/cd drives.

• Administrators Posts: 53,846 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I too have Bose QC25s, definitely would prefer if Bose brought out a cable but Apple should really be putting an adapter in the box too.

Time will tell if this is different than the floppy/cd drives jury is still out considering general tech populous were having the same discussions re floppy/cd drives.

Time will indeed tell but I think in a few years time everyone will wonder why the jack was not removed before.

I was originally fiercely against its removal but have kind of changed my mind.

What I now think will happen after a transition period using adapters is that:
    - Most people will be getting bluetooth devices and be happy with them (talking about Bose, the just released the QC35 with bluetooth - even though I personally don't like that it is much heavier than the QC25)
    - Audiophiles will buy headphones with interchangeable lightning/USB cables and built in high end DACs, which will allow them to have consistent and very good quality sound across all their source devices (apple or not) and not have to worry about phone or laptop manufacturers using cheap DACs or underpowered amps which don't do justice to their high-end headphones

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I was listening to Mossberg recently on his TheVerge podcast and he recounted how Jobs felt they were probably two years too early with the removal of the floppy. It was something I'd never heard before.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Bob24 wrote: »
    Time will indeed tell but I think in a few years time everyone will wonder why the jack was not removed before.
    If Apple were replacing it with some kind of digital standard, I'd agree with you. However they aren't, so people are going to need an adaptor to use wired headphones with Apple devices and ANY other brand device no matter what general audio standard is introduced.

Bluetooth will become increasingly popular, no doubt. But I see this like the replacement of the FM Radio with digital radio apps. Sometimes all people want is the simple, efficient, trusted solution instead of messing with bad coverage, buffering and data allowances.

That said, I believe audiophile owners of Apple devices will benefit from the removal of the jack. It's just of no benefit to anyone else in relation to their other devices.

Now, all we need to know now is that they've used the space saved by the mini jack to insert an FM radio tuner. Sign me up for that! <3

Dades wrote: »
    If Apple were replacing it with some kind of digital standard, I'd agree with you. However they aren't, so people are going to need an adaptor to use wired headphones with Apple devices and ANY other brand device no matter what general audio standard is introduced.

Bluetooth will become increasingly popular, no doubt. But I see this like the replacement of the FM Radio with digital radio apps. Sometimes all people want is the simple, efficient, trusted solution instead of messing with bad coverage, buffering and data allowances.

That said, I believe audiophile owners of Apple devices will benefit from the removal of the jack. It's just of no benefit to anyone else in relation to their other devices.

Now, all we need to know now is that they've used the space saved by the mini jack to insert an FM radio tuner. Sign me up for that! <3

It is only speculation and rumours, but if correct this pretty much addresses your points: https://9to5mac.com/2016/09/07/opinion-iphone-7-headphone-socket/

In short: new wireless audio transmission standard which is easier to use and more reliable than current bluetooth.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

It is only speculation and rumours, but if correct this pretty much addresses your points: https://9to5mac.com/2016/09/07/opinion-iphone-7-headphone-socket/.
    Offering a seamless wireless experience in the 7 would shake things up for sure. I'm leaning towards a bluetooth headphone purchase right now, and if the new device could legitimately claim to be the best device for those who want no wires... well then just maybe...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,493 ✭✭✭Masala

faceman wrote: »
    What airline is this? I use Bose noise cancelling headphones which are over ear and its only during take off and landing that they can't be used.

Was on a Stobart Air .. Under the Aer Lingus Regional franchise going Dublin to Donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

In short: new wireless audio transmission standard which is easier to use and more reliable than current bluetooth.
    Remove the headphone port and replace it with proprietary wireless standard? I'd hope they wouldn't be that stupid.

I can see this one (headphone jack removal) rebounding badly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Masala wrote: »
    Was on a Stobart Air .. Under the Aer Lingus Regional franchise going Dublin to Donegal

You can't use the noise cancellation on take off or landing. That flight is so short it's probably far easier for them to say no noise cancelling at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I'm very surprised people are so annoyed about the dropping of the headphone jack. I'm using all Bluetooth the past year but still don't think using the lightning adaptor is that much of a pain.

It's a temporary measure, and a lot more lightning equipped devices will likely emerge.

I can see future headphone being bundled with a USB-C and lightning cable.

hmmm wrote: »
    Remove the headphone port and replace it with proprietary wireless standard? I'd hope they wouldn't be that stupid.

I can see this one (headphone jack removal) rebounding badly.

Their likely answer to this is in the article: "The new iPhone will, of course, also retain existing Bluetooth for backward compatibility."

5 minutes to go. Have the stream up and running on the website. Seems ok so far, hope it's smooth throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Amazon have listed their 7 accessories

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

Won't play for me :(

Here we go

Oh no James cordon

You wouldn't catch Steve in that car haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

Cringe start.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,340 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Well with no working headphones, I suppose we'll have to sing to ourselves now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,066 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Anyone have a link?

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

Cordon,cringe,such a sycophant

• Registered Users Posts: 35,524 ✭✭✭✭Gordon

Video not happening on Safari (old version). Is there another official place to stream from? Youtube?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭jonon9

Hello mario

Well - I certainly didn't expect to see Shigeru Miyamoto on stage :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Apple gets Shinzo Abe :P

Advertisement