Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Event - 7th September 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

DubDJ wrote: »
    Maybe I'm confusing the naming scheme, but I thought the updated models were also called series 2, maybe it's just the GPS equipped version though.

Series 1 is the new one without GPS.

Series 2 is the new one with GPS.

The "old" one is just Apple Watch and is discontinued.

That's what I understood anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Bob24 wrote: »

No the original is now called Apple Watch Series 1. The new one is apple watch Series 2

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

The original is now series 1, with a dual-core.
    New watch with GPS is series 2

No the original is now called Apple Watch Series 1. The new one is apple watch Series 2

No, have a look here: http://www.apple.com/apple-watch-series-1/

It is the updated version with faster internals which is called series 1, not the original one.

No, have a look here: http://www.apple.com/apple-watch-series-1/

It is the updated version with faster internals which is called series 1, not the original one.

Isn't just the processor thats updated? Nothing else? Its fairly confusing on the site, i'm still not sure.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,485 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I think the amount of leaks beforehand has ruined today.

The only thing we didn't know before today was the pricing, storage upgrade and Ireland being in the first tier.

If there had been no leaks then we would have a lot of talking points and also more positive reacrtions.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Apple watch series 2
    Ireland €449 for 38mm version. €479 for 42mm.
    US $369 for 38mm, $399 for 42mm.

Buy in the US?
    Any problem?

I lost my Fitbit and want a new watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Simply put the naming scheme's Apple are using lately are terrible. They definitely need to get the marketing team and focus on that. I'm not sure exactly what series the watch is but it's the newer model with a price drop at 349.

Isn't just the processor thats updated? Nothing else? Its fairly confusing on the site, i'm still not sure.

Yes I think Series 1 is an incremental update of the original watch with faster internals. And one Series 2 has all the other new features they mentioned (such as the brighter screen).

• Advertisement

Yes I think Series 1 is an incremental update of the original watch with faster internals. And one Series 2 has all the other new features they mentioned (such as the brighter screen).

Am I right in saying the cheapest series 2 is 449 then yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

murpho999 wrote: »
    I think the amount of leaks beforehand has ruined today.

The only thing we didn't know before today was the pricing, storage upgrade and Ireland being in the first tier.

If there had been no leaks then we would have a lot of talking points and also more positive reacrtions.

I don't know, tbh I was surprised by a lot of the details and I've been following all the rumours and leaks too. Sure the law of averages dictate that with the more possibilities there are, the higher likelihood of many of them ending up becoming reality. I for one am very surprised at the full waterproofness of the Watch Mark 2 (that's what I'm calling it :P), this and gps has made me seriously consider buying one. :)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Am I right in saying the cheapest series 2 is 449 then yeah?

That is my understanding as well: if you want any of the improvements they have announced except the faster CPU, you have to pay 449 minimum price. But agree their product line and naming scheme are quite confusing.

This also clarifies a bit: http://www.apple.com/ie/shop/buy-watch/apple-watch/silver-aluminium-white-sport-band?preSelect=false&product=MNNG2B/A&step=detail (and click on "What’s the difference between Series 1 and Series 2?")

That is my understanding as well: if you want any of the improvements they have announced except the faster CPU, you have to pay 449 minimum price. But agree their product line and naming scheme are quite confusing.

This also clarifies a bit: http://www.apple.com/ie/shop/buy-watch/apple-watch/silver-aluminium-white-sport-band?preSelect=false&product=MNNG2B/A&step=detail (and click on "What’s the difference between Series 1 and Series 2?")

Series 1 is exactly the same as the original with the new processor, I'm sure Cooke said it himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

For pre order what do you think?

I pre ordered my 6plus on uk pre order day. I was online trying for hours and the estimated date of delivery was getting further out every minute it took me to get in to the overloaded website.

So. Now that Ireland is tier 1. Do we pre order in Irish store or will there be a higher number of day one units available to the uk so order to parcel motel?

That puts it firmly out of the price I'd be willing to pay for one. €300 would have had me really interested and i'd stretch to €350 but €450 is too much, you're not far off iPad territory there.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

RobertKK wrote: »

Argument is slight flawed, the apple site in USA, adds the sales tax at the end, depending on which state you are in, 8.75% in NYC for example. Plus their VAT rates a much lower than ours.

There is still a slight saving though, but you'd have to be travelling to the states to buy it in the flesh and then take your chances with customs.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Wolverine359

jarvis wrote: »
    For pre order what do you think?

I pre ordered my 6plus on uk pre order day. I was online trying for hours and the estimated date of delivery was getting further out every minute it took me to get in to the overloaded website.

So. Now that Ireland is tier 1. Do we pre order in Irish store or will there be a higher number of day one units available to the uk so order to parcel motel?

I would say just order from the Irish store, unless there's a significant pricing difference when you convert from sterling. There might be a higher allocation of units in UK, tbh I'm not sure how allocation works, but there would certainly be a much higher demand in the UK so that probably cancels itself out.

That puts it firmly out of the price I'd be willing to pay for one. €300 would have had me really interested and i'd stretch to €350 but €450 is too much, you're not far off iPad territory there.

Yeah agreed - a bit steep of an entry point for what you get (and we are talking about simple aluminium model with a rubber band).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,733 ✭✭✭Phil.x

If Apple end up paying that tax bill what will their new prices be then😂😂

I love seeing people get their knickers in a knot with new Apple stuff and rip off prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭F34

Will the pre-order open from mid night?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭blacknight83

F34 wrote: »
    Thinking 7 plus Jet Black 128Gb

check this out first

http://www.cultofmac.com/444533/scuffgate-jet-black-iphone-7-will-prone-scratching/

shouldn't be an issue if you use a case

RobertKK wrote: »

Same Watch, different country, different currency (changing currency has a cost), different taxes.

Result: Prices not really all that different.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Pre-order is 8.01am on Friday according to the Apple site. Nice time for most people before work etc.

The scratching jet black as well as the 128GB exclusivity has helped make my mind up.

The headphone adaptor is actually cheaper than I thought too, only 9$ dollars so I'd imagine close enough for Ireland. Not the usual 29+ cash grab they usually try.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭j4vier

have a question for the experienced people who travel to the US to buy things like the iphone as Iàm due to fly out to the States towards the end of the month.

Would it be better to buy the phone at the airport in Dublin (duty free) if available of course, rather than getting it in the States?

never bought anything duty free in my life so not sure how it works exactly

DubDJ wrote: »
    Pre-order is 8.01am on Friday according to the Apple site. Nice time for most people before work etc.

The scratching jet black as well as the 128GB exclusivity has helped make my mind up.

The headphone adaptor is actually cheaper than I thought too, only 9$ dollars so I'd imagine close enough for Ireland. Not the usual 29+ cash grab they usually try.

The adaptor comes with the phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

No mention of video recording :(
    No fast charging :(

115k4KUWBwCNmU.gif

Anyone else think the matte black is nicer than the shiny black?

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭blacknight83

j4vier wrote: »
    have a question for the experienced people who travel to the US to buy things like the iphone as Iàm due to fly out to the States towards the end of the month.

Would it be better to buy the phone at the airport in Dublin (duty free) if available of course, rather than getting it in the States?

never bought anything duty free in my life so not sure how it works exactly

got my 6s+ in Vegas last year.. would advise on doing an online reservation closer to date

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

Mr.S wrote: »
    179, pretty cheap compared to others in the market.

You're joking right?! You would want to have your head examined to pay €180 for these.

Advertisement