Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Event - 7th September 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

awec wrote: »
    IMO it's not worth buying the stuff in the states. The savings are small compared to the potential hassle if it breaks.

I have bought a lot of Apple gear in the states and initially I brought them back to the original store when there were issues. That stopped when a Genius told me that there was no problem with returning them to any apple premium re-seller worldwide. I have since had 2 issues sorted out quickly by an Irish re-seller, including one replacement.

The one exclusion is AppleCare, do not buy the US AppleCare, buy their Irish product instead if you want to protect the device.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

DubDJ wrote: »
    That's worrying, I didn't even question the change because I assumed Apple would nail the execution. Hate to hear that it's actually a step back.

One person's opinion based on about 45 seconds of use. As that's pretty much all they'd get in the hands-on area.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

DubDJ wrote: »
    That's worrying, I didn't even question the change because I assumed Apple would nail the execution. Hate to hear that it's actually a step back.

Same here - I just assumed it could only work well as Apple nailed it the first time with ForceTouch trackpads.

One more worry is that Engadget have posted something pretty consistent with what The Verge have said (though not as negative) - so it is not just one guy's personal taste.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/09/07/iphone-7-and-7-plus-hands-on-preview/

"Man, that new Home button is weird. iPhone newcomers won't have any trouble adapting to the change, but it feels almost jarring to someone who has used iPhones pretty regularly since the 4's launch in 2010. It works like force-pressing one of Apple's new Macbook trackpads, but it doesn't really feel like it -- you'll feel a blip from the phone's Taptic Engine instead of feeling the button depress like you're using a 3D Touch gesture on the screen."

I have bought a lot of Apple gear in the states and initially I brought them back to the original store when there were issues. That stopped when a Genius told me that there was no problem with returning them to any apple premium re-seller worldwide. I have since had 2 issues sorted out quickly by an Irish re-seller, including one replacement.

The one exclusion is AppleCare, do not buy the US AppleCare, buy their Irish product instead if you want to protect the device.

Apple has different policies depending on what kind of hardware needs repair. It has always been a cleat policy that laptops have global warranties (at least when they have applecare but I think also without it). On the other hand to my knowledge and unless it changed recently, it was never written black-on white anywhere that iPhone have international warranties.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,514 ✭✭✭bee06

The wireless airpods will be €179 euro here! Crazy money. They launches some new Beats as well including Beats X earphones what look like they'd do a better job if you had that kind of money to play with. Wireless but with a cable connecting them, 8 hours playback for 150 euro. The earbuds are magnetic as well so they click together when they're around your neck which I think is kinda cool.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

Bob24 wrote: »
    Same here - I just assumed it could only work well as Apple nailed it the first time with ForceTouch trackpads.

One more worry is that Engadget have posted something pretty consistent with what The Verge have said (though not as negative) - so it is not just one guy's personal taste.

https://www.engadget.com/2016/09/07/iphone-7-and-7-plus-hands-on-preview/

"Man, that new Home button is weird. iPhone newcomers won't have any trouble adapting to the change, but it feels almost jarring to someone who has used iPhones pretty regularly since the 4's launch in 2010. It works like force-pressing one of Apple's new Macbook trackpads, but it doesn't really feel like it -- you'll feel a blip from the phone's Taptic Engine instead of feeling the button depress like you're using a 3D Touch gesture on the screen."

That of course could be because of being used to the same thing since forever. I'm certain it's going to be easily adaptable to.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

bee06 wrote: »
    The wireless airpods will be €179 euro here! Crazy money. They launches some new Beats as well including Beats X earphones what look like they'd do a better job if you had that kind of money to play with. Wireless but with a cable connecting them, 8 hours playback for 150 euro. The earbuds are magnetic as well so they click together when they're around your neck which I think is kinda cool.

They've nicked that from bang & olufsen. It's a handy feature. Btw, if you're lucky your can pick up the H5s for close to the 179 Apple are charging on Amazon sometimes. You can guarantee they'll sound far better than any beats or Apple product.

ibFoxer wrote: »
    That of course could be because of being used to the same thing since forever. I'm certain it's going to be easily adaptable to.

Yes that is true. Having said that the first time I tried a ForceTouch trackpad it immediately felt 100% natural and didn't require any adaptation period.

Yes that is true. Having said that the first time I tried a ForceTouch trackpad it immediately felt 100% natural and didn't require any adaptation period.

The first time i used 3D Touch i didn't quite get it, so i can see how the new home button could be a wreck the head, initially.

I still haven't decided on the phone, but i will definitely try to grab the new watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,821 ✭✭✭stimpson

One thing I noticed with the Airpods is that there is no mention of Bluetooth on the product page. The chip is the W1 and during the keynote they were called Wireless headphones. Could they be using wifi instead of Bluetooth. Fingers crossed as Bluetooth audio is beyond awful. This might convince me to cut the cord.

• Advertisement

ibFoxer wrote: »

The first time i used 3D Touch i didn't quite get it, so i can see how the new home button could be a wreck the head, initially.

I still haven't decided on the phone, but i will definitely try to grab the new watch.

It's different though. 3D Touch was not replacing an actual physical button and was obviously going to be something new. ForceTouch on the laptops and this new home button don't have to feel strange.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Dammit, the inclusion of OIS, stereo speakers and all the new wireless tech has swung me.

I actually like the new AirPods. I spend a lot of time switching between calls and podcasts on the move, rarely music, and have been dying to ditch the wires.

128GB, matt black 7 for me, it seems.

Btw is anyone else wondering why Apple didn't seem to include in the new iPhone the same True Tone display as in the latest iPad Pro. Having it on the iPad, I find it an unfortunates inconsistency that both devices could not display the same adjusted colours in the same conditions.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Dades wrote: »
    Dammit, the inclusion of OIS, stereo speakers and all the new wireless tech has swung me.

I actually like the new AirPods. I spend a lot of time switching between calls and podcasts on the move, rarely music, and have been dying to ditch the wires.

128GB, matt black 7 for me, it seems.

You've more faith than I that Apple has managed to create something that actually sounds decent. Did they mention anything other than the w1 chips. Like drivers etc. Other wireless buds will allow you to take calls, skip tracks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,485 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I lose and break far too many headphones to spend €179 on them regardless of them being bluetooth.

Being wireless makes them look much easier to lose as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

murpho999 wrote: »
    I lose and break far too many headphones to spend €179 on them regardless of them being bluetooth.

Being wireless makes them look much easier to lose as well.

Loads of people are saying this. TBH they aren't for me (at least until I try them) as I've yet to have a good sounding Bluetooth earphones.

I don't think I'd lose these, they'll be in my ears or they'll be in the case. If they fall out of my ears I'll notice. The case is big enough to notice it going missing imo.

Other people on twitter complaining about not being able to take a 5 hour flight with them. Who listens for 5 hours straight? Also one Irish journalist asked them how fast they charged and they said 15 minutes charge gives you 3 hours.

Again must reiterate they're most likely not for me, they're priced accordingly for 1) an Apple product 2) the tech that's included, e.g. The infra-red sensors, the fact the battery level is streamed real time to the iPhone unlike other Bluetooth buds where it'll sit on 60% for ages and then suddenly drop to 10% just before you pop on the bus.

Oh and the craziest thing is for all the haters (not directed at anyone here btw)? You don't have to buy them. Simples

Loads of people are saying this. TBH they aren't for me (at least until I try them) as I've yet to have a good sounding Bluetooth earphones.

I don't think I'd lose these, they'll be in my ears or they'll be in the case. If they fall out of my ears I'll notice. The case is big enough to notice it going missing imo.

Other people on twitter complaining about not being able to take a 5 hour flight with them. Who listens for 5 hours straight? Also one Irish journalist asked them how fast they charged and they said 15 minutes charge gives you 3 hours.

Again must reiterate they're most likely not for me, they're priced accordingly for 1) an Apple product 2) the tech that's included, e.g. The infra-red sensors, the fact the battery level is streamed real time to the iPhone unlike other Bluetooth buds where it'll sit on 60% for ages and then suddenly drop to 10% just before you pop on the bus.

Oh and the craziest thing is for all the haters (not directed at anyone here btw)? You don't have to buy them. Simples

I don't follow......:confused::pac:

All joking aside, as someone rightly pointed out, the Beats X are looking a better option....

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

Nobody can use airpods, value for money and beats in the same sentence

Also, just saw the Apple Watch Series 2 upgrade. Must admit the water proof feature makes it tempting as I could use it for swimming.

It's going to make it a serious competitor in the fitness market especially for tri-athletes that mostly use Garmin.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,339 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

If Bose bring out a 2.5mm to Lightning Port cable for their headphones, I think I'll get an iPhone 7, if not I really don't think I will unless that adapter is really solid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 480 ✭✭CJmasgrande

I'm very disappointed no wireless charging and still the same flimsy lightning charging cable.

The cables are dreadful no thanks apple

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I doubt Bose will update their headphones with a new cable as they just released a wireless version during the week. Most likely that was their solution to the iPhone 7 headphone jack removal.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

So are people going the UK/GBP route? It's about 60 cheaper for the Jet Black 128GB. will Apple even allow it? Given that a few years ago they blocked Parcel Motel & similar services etc

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

They never blocked Parcel motel? I've done it twice in the last 3/4 years.

Gonna use Revolut and Parcel Motel. Save a good bit on the Irish price.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

They never blocked Parcel motel? I've done it twice in the last 3/4 years.

Gonna use Revolut and Parcel Motel. Save a good bit on the Irish price.
    Well they cancelled one of my and many other orders at one point to only reinstate it after complaints. Now that Ireland is Tier 1 my assumption is that they will probably go back to doing this

miralize wrote: »
    Well they cancelled one of my and many other orders at one point to only reinstate it after complaints. Now that Ireland is Tier 1 my assumption is that they will probably go back to doing this

But they changed it and there was no issue with the 6s or other product launches since so why would they do it now?

Also, will you really save that much. You generally don't get the rate as seen on the internet then there are bank fees as well, wonder if you really save that much.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

Also questionable if youll still get the extended 6 year eu warranty if the UK leaves the eu at some stage in the interim

Also questionable if youll still get the extended 6 year eu warranty if the UK leaves the eu at some stage in the interim

Might not happen for years, so I wouldn't let that put you off.

Also, who knows what form of Brexit it will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

murpho999 wrote: »
    Also, will you really save that much. You generally don't get the rate as seen on the internet then there are bank fees as well, wonder if you really save that much.

You seriously need to invest in a Revolut card. I'll save 50-60 euro by using the UK route. I suggest you read up on it.

• Advertisement

You seriously need to invest in a Revolut card. I'll save 50-60 euro by using the UK route. I suggest you read up on it.

Thanks, just googled it, looks interesting.

Had never heard of it before.

Advertisement