Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Event - 7th September 2016

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

Think I'll stick with my 6+ for another year. Not enough of a jump to justify paying 1,000, especially with the 8 coming next year which I'll definitely be getting.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I'm very disappointed no wireless charging and still the same flimsy lightning charging cable.

The cables are dreadful no thanks apple

It's all relative. I still have the same charging cable plugged into the wall that I got 2 years ago with my 6.

Like if you pull and drag any cable it will break.

Also questionable if youll still get the extended 6 year eu warranty if the UK leaves the eu at some stage in the interim

I got the extended EU warranty on my 5 after buying it in Belfast. They replaced the home button after 19 months or so free of charge.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Also questionable if youll still get the extended 6 year eu warranty if the UK leaves the eu at some stage in the interim

No such thing. There is an EU directive in force in some countries that allows for 2 year warranties. Ireland and the U.K. Use their Sales of Goods Acts which means you have up to 6 years to claim.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

You seriously need to invest in a Revolut card. I'll save 50-60 euro by using the UK route. I suggest you read up on it.

I've signed up for it,when you top up the card do you top up with euro the phone is coming in at €970 so do I top up by that amount or top up with sterling price which is £819?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

seamus wrote: »
    murpho999 wrote: »
    Do you think that Apple won't provide a solution for this ,as your situation is very similar to millions of users?

The phone is bound to come with a 3.5mm adaptor that would go on your headphones so you can use them as normal.
    There'll be a €50 splitter cable that lets you use a 3.5mm jack in the lightning port. Apple don't ship lucrative adapters with their devices.

I was going through the thread again. Nothing personal at all about the poster - but just quoting this one as food for thoughts: think twice before you post definite statements, and keep in mind other posters might have a strong bias.

For reference, the adapter will be included in the box and also sold separately for $9.

I've signed up for it,when you top up the card do you top up with euro the phone is coming in at €970 so do I top by that amount or top with sterling price which is £819?

Interested to see n this also as I shall be buying through the uk store

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I missed most of this as I was gigging last night. Have some questions if someone can bring me up to speed.

Watch 2. Any incentive to upgrade if you have Watch 1? What really is the GPS benefit?

iPhone 7. Can you charge your phone while using the Lightning headphones?

Dual camera - for 3D videos or what it's for?

Any incentive to go from iPhone 6 to 7 or wait till iPhone 8?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Doodah7

I've signed up for it,when you top up the card do you top up with euro the phone is coming in at €970 so do I top by that amount or top with sterling price which is £819?

Top up by the euro amount that gets you to £819. You will then effectively have £819 in a Revolut 'bank account' that is not subject to any further currency fluctuations. In essence it allows you to lock in a currency value.

The only issue I had recently was that Apple wouldn't allow me to use my Revolut card as a method of payment. Not sure if this was a glitch or they don't accept debit cards?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

How does the ParcelMotel thing work then? I need to sign up for an account is step one, but when ordering the iPhone from the UK what address do I send it to? I dont have a Uk address etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,095 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Parcel Motel give you an address in Belfast to send it to.

neonman wrote: »
    How does the ParcelMotel thing work then? I need to sign up for an account is step one, but when ordering the iPhone from the UK what address do I send it to? I dont have a Uk address etc.

PM give you aUK address, don't forget to extend the liability to €1000 it costs €7 as the standard cover is only €100.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Can we not clog this thread up with how parcel motel works and revolut? there's http://www.parcelmotel.com and http://revolut.com/. They're relatively simple services.

faceman wrote: »
    I missed most of this as I was gigging last night. Have some questions if someone can bring me up to speed.

Watch 2. Any incentive to upgrade if you have Watch 1? What really is the GPS benefit?

iPhone 7. Can you charge your phone while using the Lightning headphones?

Dual camera - for 3D videos or what it's for?

Any incentive to go from iPhone 6 to 7 or wait till iPhone 8?

Watch Series 2 for existing watch owners: incentive to upgrade if you're a swimmer or runner, or want extra speed (dual core processor now).

iPhone 7 charging whilst listening with wired lightning cables, Apple didn't show off a solution to this, I'm sure there'll be one from a 3rd party.

Dual camera is used for 2x optical zoom and up to 10x digital zoom.

incentive to go from 6 to 7 is then same as going 3g to 4, 4 to 5, 5 to 6... i suggest you watch the keynote yourself and make your own mind up. these things are getting more and more subjective as time goes on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Bob24 wrote: »
    I was going through the thread again. Nothing personal at all about the poster - but just quoting this one as food for thoughts: think twice before you post definite statements, and keep in mind other posters might have a strong bias.

For reference, the adapter will be included in the box and also sold separately for $9.

I think the poster was referring to a splitter cable that allows you to use headphones and the lightning port (for charging) at the same time. Not just an adaptor. It was widely believed, due to leaks, that the adaptor would ship in the box before yesterday's announcement.

Can we not clog this thread up with how parcel motel works and revolut? there's http://www.parcelmotel.com and http://revolut.com/. They're relatively simple services.

Watch Series 2 for existing watch owners: incentive to upgrade if you're a swimmer or runner, or want extra speed (dual core processor now).

iPhone 7 charging whilst listening with wired lightning cables, Apple didn't show off a solution to this, I'm sure there'll be one from a 3rd party.

Dual camera is used for 2x optical zoom and up to 10x digital zoom.

incentive to go from 6 to 7 is then same as going 3g to 4, 4 to 5, 5 to 6... i suggest you watch the keynote yourself and make your own mind up. these things are getting more and more subjective as time goes on.

Apologies for that moderator.

Apologies for that moderator.

I'm not one, but it's just common sense, many bargain alert threads end up discussing revolut and parcel motel instead of talking about the actual bargain.

I'm not one, but it's just common sense, many bargain alert threads end up discussing revolut and parcel motel instead of talking about the actual bargain.

One or two questions about them as people are going to buy the phone this way which is relevant to the thread.

One or two questions about them as people are going to buy the phone this way which is relevant to the thread.

we'll beg to differ so, I see this as a thread about the event and discussing what was announced not how to buy and ship goods from the UK. anyways I digress

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

You've more faith than I that Apple has managed to create something that actually sounds decent. Did they mention anything other than the w1 chips. Like drivers etc. Other wireless buds will allow you to take calls, skip tracks etc.
    Audiophiles will go their own way, but I just want something with equal quality to my current EarPods - without the wires. If Apple's own AirPods are the most seamless, supported way to go wireless with an iPhone then great.

I can see a aftermarket for clips, wings even cords to hold them in place or allow them hang around your neck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

What do people think was the highlight from yesterday? I think the performance/battery improvements were one of the more impressive things shown off. Maybe the camera upgrades will be noticeable too. The rumours basically had all details from yesterday so there wasn't much that surprising.

• Advertisement

faceman wrote: »

From what I understand the main incentive for "basic" users will be the faster speeds (I havn't use the Watch extensivly but it seems like a 50% CPU and 100% GPU speed bump could make a difference in terms of user experience).

Otherwise:
    - clearly waterproof and not only splash resistant: useful if you are planning to swim with it
    - brighter screen: Difficult to say what difference it makes without having both models next to each other, but I suspect it is a neice to have ratherthan a must have
    - GPS: it is just my guess but I think it will only be useful if you are using the watch away from the phone where you exercise

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭OU812

DubDJ wrote: »
    What do people think was the highlight from yesterday? I think the performance/battery improvements were one of the more impressive things shown off. Maybe the camera upgrades will be noticeable too. The rumours basically had all details from yesterday so there wasn't much that surprising.

The watch.

Having read through all the reports after the event, the thing I take away is that the 7+ is the more advanced/interesting device.

If I was going to go for an upgrade personally, I'd go from my 6 to 6S, skip this round & see what they come back with next year.

But the watch however, I'm very interested in. The addition of GPS & waterproof makes it into a much better device.

(I wonder if there's anything to read into the use of the phrase "swim proof" rather than the more usual waterproof)

Thanks I've signed up to PM. I can understand your point Creamy Goodness.

Thanks for the replies all the same guys.

DubDJ wrote: »
    I think the poster was referring to a splitter cable that allows you to use headphones and the lightning port (for charging) at the same time. Not just an adaptor. It was widely believed, due to leaks, that the adaptor would ship in the box before yesterday's announcement.

I guess my point was more that he assertively shot down another poster who said an adapter would be included in the box, saying with full confidence that Apple doesn't include adapters in the box and the only option offered would be a 50 euros accessory to make money for Apple.

Quite far from what happened in practice, and the post could have been a bit more moderate.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

OU812 wrote: »
    The watch.

Having read through all the reports after the event, the thing I take away is that the 7+ is the more advanced/interesting device.

If I was going to go for an upgrade personally, I'd go from my 6 to 6S, skip this round & see what they come back with next year.

But the watch however, I'm very interested in. The addition of GPS & waterproof makes it into a much better device.

(I wonder if there's anything to read into the use of the phrase "swim proof" rather than the more usual waterproof)

re swim proof they said that it is waterproof to 50m similar to other watch offerings.

Hopefully wont get shot down for asking this one....I take it adding AppleCare+ to your order is a no-brainer? Or are there better insurance products out there. Such an expensive phone, insurance is a must no?

neonman wrote: »
    Hopefully wont get shot down for asking this one....I take it adding AppleCare+ to your order is a no-brainer? Or are there better insurance products out there. Such an expensive phone, insurance is a must no?

My 2 cents:
    - for accidental damage it is the best cover and better than any third party alternative (and it also extends your warranty)
    - keep in mind it doesn't include theft protection so it might not be the exact same as other insurance policies you have considered in terms of what is covered
    - Personal choice, but I would myself not consider third-party gadget insurances as they usually have a much longer and convoluted process to get a fix/replacement and might try to use contractual restrictions not to cover you (whereas with AppleCare+ Apple will fix/replace the phone quickly no question asked as long as you pay the excess)
    - At the end of the day it depends on you: do you prefer to pay for peace of mind for 2 years or to save initially and take a harder hit if something goes wrong? (if you are careful with your phones and rarely break them the second option is probably cheaper in the long run - but personally even though I am careful I like peace of mind :-))

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

+1 for Applecare.

Got two replacement phones in the last 24 months via Applecare. The express service (instant replacement) is crucial unless you can be without your iPhone for up to a week.

The excess is a pain, but the process is a breeze compared to the hassle other insurance companies might put you through.

• Administrators Posts: 54,071 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

murpho999 wrote: »
    Also, just saw the Apple Watch Series 2 upgrade. Must admit the water proof feature makes it tempting as I could use it for swimming.

It's going to make it a serious competitor in the fitness market especially for tri-athletes that mostly use Garmin.

Don't think it will have the battery life to compete with Garmin.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,071 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

OU812 wrote: »
    The watch.

Yes.

You can't use it for things where water will hit the watch at high velocity, the waterproofing won't stand up to that.

You can swim with it but you can't go wakeboarding with it for example.

Advertisement