Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Event - 7th September 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,419 ✭✭✭cowboyBuilder

These wireless earphones are mad, total dealbreaker for me (not that I was gonna buy it)

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

These wireless earphones are mad, total dealbreaker for me (not that I was gonna buy it)

They come wired as well...

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

all the reports are the wireless sound just like the current earbuds and they are sh!te

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Bob24 wrote: »
    I guess my point was more that he assertively shot down another poster who said an adapter would be included in the box, saying with full confidence that Apple doesn't include adapters in the box and the only option offered would be a 50 euros accessory to make money for Apple.

Quite far from what happened in practice, and the post could have been a bit more moderate.
    Meh, it's a discussion. When I make an assertion that turns out to be wrong, I'm happy to hold my hands up and admit that. My level of confidence was high, I was wrong. Such is discussion. It becomes boring if we all tiptoe around.
    awec wrote: »
    Don't think it will have the battery life to compete with Garmin.
    Ruggedness either. As much as Apple go on about the toughness of their devices, the watch is still a fashion accessory. Someone taking part in a triathlon will know how much abuse the watch may get during the race and will likely opt for the slightly bulkier Garmin for the race because they won't be wearing it out to dinner later on.

That said, there is a large convenience in being able to just go training without having to switch watches and make sure another one is charged up. So dedicated triathletes may still buy an Apple watch for day-to-day training and use their "proper" Garmin device for races.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

For anybody with an iPhone 6 or 6s and wants to upgrade to an iPhone 7 without the added cost.

http://appleplugs.com :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

seamus wrote: »
    Meh, it's a discussion. When I make an assertion that turns out to be wrong, I'm happy to hold my hands up and admit that. My level of confidence was high, I was wrong. Such is discussion. It becomes boring if we all tiptoe around.

Yes, as I said nothing personal, just a suggestion for everyone to think twice about their personal bias before posting something that assertive v.s. another poster about a point which will be a clear cut a few days later (in my view, thinking that Apple would only offer a 50 euros adapter as a solution to use analogue jacks was a very wild guess from the beginning - it likely would have caused them crazy bad press and could have ruined a product launch which is already underwhelming for some people, and they knew that).

But yeah - agree all points of views and suggestions are good to post and keep the discussion going - just with more "I think" and less "For sure" attached to the statement if it is a bit of a wild guess.

• Administrators Posts: 53,846 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I wonder if they'll ever release a web version of Apple Music.

iTunes is awful, really hate having to install it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,210 ✭✭✭mel123

I wonder how many people actually bother with itunes anymore. I hate it, spotify all the way for me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I don't understand peoples hated of iTunes. I have 70GB+ of music on it. All of which I have imported. It does everything I want it to do perfectly and I've never had any issues with it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Hmm. So reading more about the AirPods in the cold light of day...

You can't skip or answer the phone or change the volume without either invoking Siri, or digging your phone out? WTF?

I think I was blinded by shiny things last night and am starting to agree with this piece.
    Apple's AirPod Headphones Are Awful Design.

While I wouldn't miss the wire into the phone, I don't think I could live without a tactile mini controller somewhere. And maybe a light neck strap to allow you to take out your plugs and let them hang.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

A standalone Apple Music desktop app would be nice, similar to the Spotify one. I've been having issues with Apple Music the past 2 weeks, app crashing, songs not playing and skipping to the next.

Hoping the redesign with iOS 10 fixes some of these problems.

I would personally prefer a well designed music app for OSX which looks good and is easy to use (and I think this is where Apple is heading - they are no a web company and if an online version is ever released it will probably be a less capable version of a desktop app, as with the rest of their iCloud offering).

Dades wrote: »
    You can't skip or answer the phone or change the volume without either invoking Siri, or digging your phone out? WTF?

Is that confirmed? If yes it is indeed a bit of a bummer.

During the keynote they mentioned the phones are tap sensitive. I thought that would be leveraged for this type of basic interactions.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Is that confirmed? If yes it is indeed a bit of a bummer.

During the keynote they mentioned the phones are tap sensitive. I thought that would be leveraged for this type of basic interactions.
    You can tap for Siri, or remove an AirPod to pause. It seems that's all the hardware allows.

From here:
    There are no buttons on the earphones themselves, but you can summon Siri with a double-tap. That didn't actually work the first few times I tried it, simply because I was being too gentle. You have to tap decisively. Think of it like you’re trying to wake someone up - in this case it's Siri.

To adjust volume and change tracks you're probably going to want to use your iPhone - unless you plan on asking Siri to do that for you in public. No judgement. When you pull them out of your ear, the music pauses automatically. Put them in and they start playing. That's pretty neat in my book. It also saves you the trouble of pulling out your phone - until you have to change tracks, at least.

Classic case of form over function. Even a single clickable point on the pods would have sufficed but this is too much functionality put back onto the phone for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,773 ✭✭✭ablelocks

am I right in thinking that there is no price drop on the smaller capacity 6s, but capacity increased to 32gb?

And no price drop on the 16gb SE but a slight drop on the 64gb SE?

and the ipad mini 2 wasn't discontinued?

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

While I wouldn't miss the wire into the phone, I don't think I could live without a tactile mini controller somewhere.
    That's what the watch is for.
    Cook envisions the target user being someone who carries around $1,500 worth of Apple equipment which all works together seamlessly.

Apple has never designed their products to accommodate the mix-and-match user. They abide by standards where it would be a dumb move not to, but they basically ignore the existence of other manufacturers. Look at the airpods - they are a $160 pair of earphone that are basically completely useless with any device except an iPhone.

Now this isn't actually a terrible strategy. When the Windows XP source code leaked online many of the comments were that in fact the OS was very well written, the most horrible hackiest parts were in attempting to accommodate other peoples' hardware.

Without that headache, Apple's development organisation can deliver new products (hardware and software) faster and with a better guarantee of reliability.

But you do end up with these ridiculous situations where you have expensive hardware that only actually works properly in a tiny number of scenarios.
    And maybe a light neck strap to allow you to take out your plugs and let them hang.
    That will be an "Accessory".

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

i thought your could double-tap the AirPod to answer a call?

seamus wrote: »
    That's what the watch is for.

Yes I think this is what Apple has in mind. Not sure too many user will go for it though ...

You can tap for Siri, or remove an AirPod to pause. It seems that's all the hardware allows.

From here:

Classic case of form over function. Even a single clickable point on the pods would have sufficed but this is too much functionality put back onto the phone for me.

OK ... that is a bit silly. If they are correct in saying "If you’ve ever tried Apple's EarPods, these AirPods sound pretty much the same.", poor usability and sound quality for the price will definitely bury these from my perspective.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,716 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

+1 for Applecare.

Got two replacement phones in the last 24 months via Applecare. The express service (instant replacement) is crucial unless you can be without your iPhone for up to a week.

The excess is a pain, but the process is a breeze compared to the hassle other insurance companies might put you through.

Important to know that with AppleCare+ you have the option to replace the display for €29 excess fee instead of €99 previously. However this can't be done via the Express Replacment Service, it would have to be the mail in first option. (Unless you just pay the €70 extra for convenice and knowing you're getting a new phone).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,561 ✭✭✭quad_red

I've had an iPhone 3G, 3GS, 4, 5 (x2) and I currently have a 6 and an SE (work).

So I'm not sure if I constitute the target audience for this or not. But the launch left me cold. The new features are nice but nothing that would convince me to ditch my 6.

But the headphone socket thing is a killer. A stone cold killer. The loss of functionality without an tangible benefit. The convoluted way of controlling volume and calls people are discussing on here. Like not able to charge and use headphones - what? I don't want a third party accessory for this. It's utterly retarded. I don't want wireless headphones that last five hours between charges. This isn't making my life easier or more streamlined.

Never mind the waste behind ditching a universally accepted standard without a good reason. Courage my arse :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭displaced dub

I for one will not be ditching my ultimate ears 11pros. They are a different level and will most likely replace their cables so I can swap them out.

On Apple Music... I stopped using it and switched to Tidal HIFI which is HD in comparison to AP which is basically SD

Will take a 7 jet black tonight when the store starts taking orders

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Finally caught up with everything. Won't be upgrading this time round to iPhone 7. Headphones are a deal breaker.

I've two really good sets of Bose headphones (both wired), one are the high end noise cancelling and the other casual workout in ear type. Not willing to throw them away yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

faceman wrote: »
    Finally caught up with everything. Won't be upgrading this time round to iPhone 7. Headphones are a deal breaker.

I've two really good sets of Bose headphones (both wired), one are the high end noise cancelling and the other casual workout in ear type. Not willing to throw them away yet.

I think this is a bit dramatic. Granted an extra adapter is a bit of a bother. But throwing away your earphones/headphones because of it?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

I think this is a bit dramatic. Granted an extra adapter is a bit of a bother. But throwing away your earphones/headphones because of it?

That's what I mean. Not willing to sacrifice my cans for the new iPhone. ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Is it really a big deal? Just stick the provided adapter on your earphones of choice and forget about it.

Re: sound quality, I don't find the Earpods bad at all. Massive improvement on the old Apple earphones. And maybe it's just me but I find them a bit louder than my other ear buds which helps with the EU volume cap – which is the main reason why I'm reluctant to use over ear headphones with an iOS device.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,716 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

Is it really a big deal? Just stick the provided adapter on your earphones of choice and forget about it.

Re: sound quality, I don't find the Earpods bad at all. Massive improvement on the old Apple earphones. And maybe it's just me but I find them a bit louder than my other ear buds which helps with the EU volume cap – which is the main reason why I'm reluctant to use over ear headphones with an iOS device.

I agree!

I use two sets of headphones. The Apple EarPods & Beats Solo 2 wireless. Audio quality on both is fine for me. I know people will say they're rubbish but they suit me down to the ground. I believe for the average consumer, lightning / wireless headphones will be enough going forward and of course there is always that adapter for people with 3.5mm cables.

It had to change sometime.

You mention the EU volume limit. That can be disabled in settings though so does it really matter? Or do you prefer to have it on?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,118 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Normally I would upgrade every 2 years. Never had an "S" model. Have a 6 Plus 128 GB now.

Think I'll hold on until next year. No feature of the 7 stole the show for me. Unless you need a more powerful processor, better battery life, more storage or are into photography.

The only thing is how much would I get for my 6 Plus 128 GB in a years time? A lot less than now.

It's turning into like buying a new car! Cost to change and all that!

Do I sell my 6 Plus 128 GB now so the value is held? Would be upgrading with Vodafone in December and if I was to get a 7 it would be the Plus 256 GB.

Would I get €550 for my 6 Plus 128 GB now?

Thoughts?

• Advertisement

FourFourFM wrote: »

You mention the EU volume limit. That can be disabled in settings though so does it really matter? Or do you prefer to have it on?

I am not 100% sure but I *think* there are 2 EU volume limits. One which is the suggested maximum volume and can indeed be disabled in the options, and another one which is considered unsafe and is silently applied with no option to disable it.

The problem is that what is limited is not really the actual volume but the power of the signal sent to the phones. And depending on phones the same power can result in very different actual volumes. Which actually brings up at least one advantage for lightning earphones/headphones :-) : since the DAC and amplifier are in the connector, which is specific to the pair of earphones, it is actually possible to calibrate them so that the same volume setting on the phone always results in the same actual volumes in the phones.

Advertisement