Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Event - 7th September 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 649 ✭✭✭DuffleBag

Normally I would upgrade every 2 years. Never had an "S" model. Have a 6 Plus 128 GB now.

Think I'll hold on until next year. No feature of the 7 stole the show for me. Unless you need a more powerful processor, better battery life, more storage or are into photography.

The only thing is how much would I get for my 6 Plus 128 GB in a years time? A lot less than now.

It's turning into like buying a new car! Cost to change and all that!

Do I sell my 6 Plus 128 GB now so the value is held? Would be upgrading with Vodafone in December and if I was to get a 7 it would be the Plus 256 GB.

Would I get €550 for my 6 Plus 128 GB now?

Thoughts?

I'm in a similar boat. Due my upgrade in Oct and also with a 6plus. I imagine the 7plus will be €200-300 on upgrade so selling my 6plus for 400ish will more than cover me for that. Fingers crossed.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

FourFourFM wrote: »
    You mention the EU volume limit. That can be disabled in settings though so does it really matter?

It can't actually be disabled without jailbreaking. The "EU Volume Limit" toggle in Music settings only works for non-EU users. For EU users it just adds an additional cap on top of the existing EU firmware cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

How are people surprised after this event? Almost all of it was leaked! The A10 is the biggest surprise. Apple, once again can take me money! I'll take a Jet Black 7

#appletart4lyf

• Registered Users Posts: 3,193 ✭✭✭Eircom_Sucks

why do we get roasted on the prices ?

looking at 7+ 256gb but €1150 fook that

its $969 so converted its bout €850 so why the €300 extra ?

ive a 6 64gb unlocked so was hoping to sell that to largely cover costs

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The A10 is the biggest surprise.
    Next year they'll have the A11. I'm not sure why you are "surprised" by this. I predict an A12 at some stage also.

The headphone thing is a nightmare - I don't have an iPhone, but I have lots of other Apple gear and feel a stake in this. It offers no benefit to the consumer.

I don't want some pristine and beautiful bit of kit, and a dozen dongles coming out of it to make it useful.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

It can't actually be disabled without jailbreaking. The "EU Volume Limit" toggle in Music settings only works for non-EU users. For EU users it just adds an additional cap on top of the existing EU firmware cap.

I've never had an issue keeping it off on any iPhone.

iPhone 6s bought from Ireland and only used in Ireland. (2 images attached)

If you're saying it's already there as a firmware cap why is there a setting as above? It kinda contradicts itself?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

faceman wrote: »
    Finally caught up with everything. Won't be upgrading this time round to iPhone 7. Headphones are a deal breaker.

I've two really good sets of Bose headphones (both wired), one are the high end noise cancelling and the other casual workout in ear type. Not willing to throw them away yet.

Would the adaptor really destroy the sound?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

hmmm wrote: »
    The A10 is the biggest surprise.
    Next year they'll have the A11. I'm not sure why you are "surprised" by this. I predict an A12 at some stage also.

The headphone thing is a nightmare - I don't have an iPhone, but I have lots of other Apple gear and feel a stake in this. It offers no benefit to the consumer.

The actual processor was the surprise, not the name. Big jump in juice and the move to a quad from a dual.

Out of interest why do you care about the hardware if you don't use iPhone?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Dades wrote: »
    Hmm. So reading more about the AirPods in the cold light of day...

You can't skip or answer the phone or change the volume without either invoking Siri, or digging your phone out? WTF?

I think I was blinded by shiny things last night and am starting to agree with this piece.
    Apple's AirPod Headphones Are Awful Design.

While I wouldn't miss the wire into the phone, I don't think I could live without a tactile mini controller somewhere. And maybe a light neck strap to allow you to take out your plugs and let them hang.

A neck strap and possible wire that goes to the phone so you don't have to worry about charging. They could place a button on this wire to make it easier to interact with your phone. And if they made the "charging port" universal so it could be used with every electronic device made in the last 40 years, it would be amazing!

Joking aside, I wonder what the real life battery life of the wireless headphones be? It says an industry leading 5 hours (while the first set of wireless ones on amazon cost £17 and last 8 hours), I wonder how long they'll actually last? Having to carry around a charger case defeats the purpose of them imho.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Don't forget to add the US sales tax to that price ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Irish VAT is a big part of it. US prices don't include sales tax. Also the Euro keeps falling in value and is expected to fall further, so when setting Euro prices Apple look at where they predict the Euro is going to be 12 months time.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

kceire wrote: »
    Would the adaptor really destroy the sound?

Assuming the DAC/amp circuitry in the adaptor is the same as what thye used to put inside the phone, sound-quality will be exactly the same.

Difficult to say for sure without seeing it disassembled or trying it though.

Had a look at adverts there, no surprise to see a sudden surge in 6 and 6s for sale

FourFourFM wrote: »
    I've never had an issue keeping it off on any iPhone.

iPhone 6s bought from Ireland and only used in Ireland. (2 images attached)

If you're saying it's already there as a firmware cap why is there a setting as above? It kinda contradicts itself?

Yeah it's a firmware cap. That setting is meaningless. If enabled it just caps the already capped volume.

As for the point of it, I guess it's intended for US users who might want to cap their volume. With the added benefit of confusing EU users so they don't bother Apple about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,083 ✭✭✭Sarn

They'll have to cover currency fluctuations, so say it's about €890 + €205 (23% VAT) = €1098.

Not too far off €1150. Still eye wateringly expensive.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

i thought your could double-tap the AirPod to answer a call?
    Apparently double tapping brings up Siri.

Maybe when the phone is ringing it knows not to bring Siri up. Or even better they'll allow you configure that double tap to do something else if, like me, you have Siri turned off.
    seamus wrote: »
    Dades wrote: »
    While I wouldn't miss the wire into the phone, I don't think I could live without a tactile mini controller somewhere.
    That's what the watch is for.
    Totally not buying a watch. Don't even wear my wedding ring!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

my only problem with the lightning cable is the amount of these i have

tumblr_ntxbn27ROB1tg3462o1_1280.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

peteeeed wrote: »

tumblr_ntxbn27ROB1tg3462o1_1280.jpg

What do you actually do to your cables :confused:? Do you pull them out by the cord rather than connector?
    I've never met anybody who has a cable damaged like that and doesn't absolutely abuse their cables.
    I got an iPhone 5 about 4 or 5 months after launch, that cable is still perfect. It was used daily until I bought my iPhone 6, and since then it has been used in my car a couple of times a week. My iPhone 6 cable which is 16 months old is also in perfect condition

peteeeed wrote: »

Never had that issue and if you get this consistently you are doing something most people aren't.

Having said that, you are raising a fair point. There will be a lot of strain on fixed cable/connector once it is in someone's pocket and that person starts moving.

With a jack, the connector can at least rotate in the jack which removes some of he strain. Also it is common to have L shaped connectors which concentrate it on a very strong part of he the connect.

If lighting phones lose both these ways to alleviate issues, cables will indeed have to be very strong (as well as the lighting connector itself).

• Registered Users Posts: 14,296 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Just reading about the air pods, the holder holds a charge, so you can bring it with you and put the pods in and it will give you a 3 hour boost after 15 minutes charge.

http://www.whathifi.com/apple/airpods/review

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Cienciano wrote: »
    Just reading about the air pods, the holder holds a charge, so you can bring it with you and put the pods in and it will give you a 3 hour boost after 15 minutes charge.

http://www.whathifi.com/apple/airpods/review

they also pause music when you take one out of your ear so that you can hear what someone is saying to you, very clever. if you take both out they disconnect to save battery.

*EDIT* just noticed they mentioned this in the article. still as cheesy as it sounds it's something that "Only Apple" could do or to put it better, something you can only do when you make the hardware and software.

really think the battery life time on these are understated. that being said they're still another thing to keep charged.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭arch_stanton

Bob24 wrote: »
    Never had that issue and if you get this consistently you are doing something most people aren't.

Having said that, you are raising a fair point. There will be a lot of strain on fixed cable/connector once it is in someone's pocket and that person starts moving.

With a jack, the connector can at least rotate in the jack which removes some of he strain. Also it is common to have L shaped connectors which concentrate it on a very strong part of he the connect.

If lighting phones lose both these ways to alleviate issues, cables will indeed have to be very strong (as well as the lighting connector itself).

It's happened to most of mine and my family as well. Must be something genetic. In my case at least, I usually charge the phone on the edge of a bedside locker and the cable goes turns at a 90 degree angle close to the lightning connector as the charger is on floor. In any case, I've had the Bluetooth sports beats for a year and probably wouldn't go back to cable unless it offered something like noise cancellation. Battery life is around 7 hours which is enough for 3 days commuting and they charge very quickly. The Airpods looks interesting but I don't think they would stay in while running.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I've asked this before, but did they make any reference to the sound quality of the airpods in the keynote? If not I'd expect the same experience as the EarPods. Would people be happy paying 180 euro for that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I get that with my cables a lot, as does my wife.

I've asked this before, but did they make any reference to the sound quality of the airpods in the keynote? If not I'd expect the same experience as the EarPods. Would people be happy paying 180 euro for that?

They did not. Initial online feedback from journalists is that quality is similar - but I doubt any of them was able to test them properly.

If it is indeed the same, for more it is extremely overpriced.

Just on the airpods. It says the auto sync when u take them out, no pairing needed. What happens if you're on a bus with other people with the same iphone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

my cables are the same, mine seems to be from using my phone while lying down and supporting the phone on my chest, think 90% of that type of cable failures could be prevented by moving the lightning dock to the top or side

• Registered Users Posts: 33,749 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

My lightning cable is also worn similar to the above picture, happened after about 18 months of use.

I presume the Apple watch series 2 with the GPS would be handy if you are away on holidays and you go astray, or looking for some tourist location of interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

RobertKK wrote: »
    My lightning cable is also worn similar to the above picture, happened after about 18 months of use.

I presume the Apple watch series 2 with the GPS would be handy if you are away on holidays and you go astray, or looking for some tourist location of interest.
    without preloading the map tiles (the actual map parts first) it'd be as useless as a chocolate teapot :)

• Advertisement

without preloading the map tiles (the actual map parts first) it'd be as useless as a chocolate teapot :)

Yes unless there is some mechanism to pre load map areas, I think the GPS is only really useful for activity tracking when you don't want to have the phone with you but also don't need to see the actual map (just record your location).

I assume that as soon as the watch is next to your phone (which is necessary to load the maps), it can still leverage its GPS and doesn't need to have one built-in.

Advertisement