Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Event - 7th September 2016

Options
1202122232426»

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

DuffleBag wrote: »
    Just on the airpods. It says the auto sync when u take them out, no pairing needed. What happens if you're on a bus with other people with the same iphone?
    No pairing needed after the initial pairing, I'm guessing. So the first pairing matches your pods to your device.

Though I still wonder if everyone on the bus with the AirPod app gets a "connect" prompt if someone opens their pod box!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

Dades wrote: »
    No pairing needed after the initial pairing, I'm guessing. So the first pairing matches your pods to your device.

Though I still wonder if everyone on the bus with the AirPod app gets a "connect" prompt if someone opens their pod box!

I think it was mentioned you need an iCloud ID to use them and iCloud will spread the pairing across devices. If I got that right, I guess once its assigned to your ID it will not try to pair to devices associated to another ID unless your reset the pairing process.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Dades wrote: »

I'm guessing the idea here is more of a "smooth transition" function rather than "no pairing".

That is, with other devices and phones you have to power them on, wait for the devices to sync up and then start listening, the pods will "just work" without needing to be explicitly turned on or activated. Likely achieved by having them in a constant standby mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

BDJW wrote: »
    What do you actually do to your cables :confused:? Do you pull them out by the cord rather than connector?
    I've never met anybody who has a cable damaged like that and doesn't absolutely abuse their cables.

Some people are absolute apes.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭NewApproach

What technology does the AirPods work on, is it bluetooth?

I have bluetooth Bose headphones, I presume these will continue to work fine?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Yes, they will. Apple wouldn't be so mad as to remove support for non-Apple bluetooth devices! *

* Just non-Apple wired devices

• Registered Users Posts: 6,207 ✭✭✭miralize

7am preorders start right?

What technology does the AirPods work on, is it bluetooth?

I have bluetooth Bose headphones, I presume these will continue to work fine?

Not many details given, but AirPods seems like a proprietary kind of Bluetooth.

Yes you Bose will still work, Apple would be crazy to remove standard Bluetooth support at the same time as the headphone jack.

miralize wrote: »
    7am preorders start right?

8am from what I saw on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

It's 12am US time which is 8am Ireland for pre-orders.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

DubDJ wrote: »
    It's 12am US time which is 8am Ireland for pre-orders.

is that 12am pacific or 12am eastern?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Not sure, but I think ET. It's 8.01am on the Irish site, and I the US is 12.01am. I know from the events it's usually 10am ET which is 6pm GMT. So that 8 hours gap makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,714 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

It's 12am Pacific time - as it's currently 11:49 (the 8 hour difference)

3am for Eastern time zone.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭CasualLiKE

What would be the best option for buying an iPhone 7 Plus? Saw that the UK are getting the paid installments now but no word on an Irish scheme for that sort of payment. Would I be better off just buying it off bill pay? I'm with vodafone btw.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

CasualLiKE wrote: »
    What would be the best option for buying an iPhone 7 Plus? Saw that the UK are getting the paid installments now but no word on an Irish scheme for that sort of payment. Would I be better off just buying it off bill pay? I'm with vodafone btw.

work out the sums. cost of phone x 24m plan vs cost of phone (sim free) x 24m sim only plan

• Registered Users Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

CasualLiKE wrote: »

For me I'll sell on my 6s plus and put the rest towards it. Brexit has added about £100 to the price of the 7s plus but I'd easily drink that over 2 weekends. All in all with what I have saved up on my credit card, about €175, I reckon another €250 will do it.

AirPods will work with any bluetooth device but without the easy peering functionality and automatic device switching: https://www.engadget.com/2016/09/08/airpods-non-apple-devices/

Looks like Apple is using standard bluetooth with a proprietary layer on top to facilitate peering and device switching.

Advertisement