Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Event - 7th September 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Interesting angle here about the new tier of iCloud storage - 2TB. A possible 256GB of storage being offered?

http://www.theverge.com/2016/8/30/12720050/apple-icloud-storage-2tb-option-iphone-7-launch

More likely down to the optimised storages features in MacOS Sierra (having all your desktop/home directory on iCloud Drive) than pointing towards an iPhone with 256gb (which I still think is coming).

• Registered Users Posts: 28,485 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

This might be another argument for why the headphones should be Bluetooth, then people can use them with other devices out of the box. But even if they aren't this is far from being a deal breaker. People can just use regular earphones with their Macs, etc. And people wanting to use existing wired headphones with their iPhone can just get an adapter.

I used Flash as an example of an obsolete tech Apple dropped that Jobs felt obliged to defend in detail. Dropping the headphone jack is more comparable to the dropping of the floppy disk drive, DVD drive, Ethernet port, etc. All of which were extremely controversial at the time but were quickly forgotten about.

I myself don't want bluetooth headphones, more expensive, another thing to charge etc.

Many people prefer the corded option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

That link also suggests 256gb storage from the numbers at the top

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Steve is rolling in his grave if true.

Though I hope it is as I think including an adapter is the simplest solution and will avoid the most upset.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,499 ✭✭✭IamMetaldave

Sad Professor, Steve has been rolling in his grave for a long time. I don't believe iPhone would look the way it does if he was still around. I think he'd have pushed it further and we'd all be a lot more excited for next week if he was doing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

murpho999 wrote: »
    I think this headphone issue is something different than what has gone before.

Dropping flash etc only had an impact on that device. Changing the charging port the same.

However, changing the headphone port means that the headphones that will ship with the phones can only be used with iPhone 7. Cannot be used with Apple Macs, iPads, other iPhones, other laptops, phones, MP3 players etc.

I think that impacts on too many people and devices and Apple will have to provide a solution for those.

Similarly, when apple decided not to support flash. Look at web technologies now and how they have evolved (away from flash).

Having said that, the dropping on a 3.5mm headphone jack is a big disappointment for me but probably one that was a long time waiting to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,100 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I have a 6S and will likely go with the 7 Plus. With the extra features and the bigger handset for a change its enough for me to warrant an upgrade. Doubtful I'll get a 7S in another year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I have a 6S and will likely go with the 7 Plus. With the extra features and the bigger handset for a change its enough for me to warrant an upgrade. Doubtful I'll get a 7S in another year though.

If the rumours are true next year's phone will be the 8, and it'll have an edge to edge screen and integrated home button with haptic feedback. Now that's a phone worth saving for.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

Zcott wrote: »
    If the rumours are true next year's phone will be the 8, and it'll have an edge to edge screen and integrated home button with haptic feedback. Now that's a phone worth saving for.

So 7 straight to 8 in just 1 year

Not. A. Chance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Chromosphere

I'm guessing this will be a fairly bland disappointment.

Things that are common on high end androids are taking a long time with apple: waterproofing, rapid charging, wireless charging etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭Doodah7

So 7 straight to 8 in just 1 year

Not. A. Chance.

Next year is the tenth anniversary of the iPhone so it is very unlikely that this event will be marked with a mere S upgrade of the phone. Also given the rumoured changes being made as mentioned on this thread, it is almost certain that the next iPhone will be an 8 if not an entirely new name to signify the tenth anniversary.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭GreatDefector

tallpaul wrote: »
    Next year is the tenth anniversary of the iPhone so it is very unlikely that this event will be marked with a mere S upgrade of the phone. Also given the rumoured changes being made as mentioned on this thread, it is almost certain that the next iPhone will be an 8 if not an entirely new name to signify the tenth anniversary.

There's a reason for 2 year cycles and that phone contracts are typically 2 years

They'll be cannibalising their own market to have a mix and match of phones on the market which is why I think the 5c hasn't been seen since

There's a reason for 2 year cycles and that phone contracts are typically 2 years

They'll be cannibalising their own market to have a mix and match of phones on the market which is why I think the 5c hasn't been seen since

Two year cycles are no more in the states so it makes perfect sense for them to break the two year cycle.

Apple cannibalises their own market all the time. Look at the iPod vs iPhone.

You don't see many 5C's because it was a terrible phone, year old hardware in a plastic case (albeit a gorgeous one) but it screamed in old even when it was 2 minutes old. The SE is an example of it done well. This year internals but in a premium aluminium shell

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

tallpaul wrote: »

This has been heavily rumoured now and why most are calling this years iPhone another 's' model. It's fully expected that Apple will reveal a huge redesign, feature list and spec upgrade next year signifying the 10th anniversary.

They also released the SE this year, as well as the fact that a lot of people aren't expected to upgrade to this years iPhone which both could have an impact on two year contracts.

I think a lot of people are abandoning those types on contracts now though, in the US and even looking at Ireland, a lot of people seem to be buying the phone outright now.

You should google iPhone 8 and see what's rumoured and expected. A radical all glass phone is what's expected.

There's nothing Apple could do better to shake up the market than to buck there normal numbering sequence next year and release radically altered phone.

I love Apple, but I was having a think.. Everytime they do a big shift there's a "something-gate"... iPhone 3GS to 4 "shape" we had the issue with the bands being blocks by the hand causing the signal issues. Then we all remember 5 into 6 "shape" with bendygate :) With some luck they can land the "8" or whatever without hitch.. unlikely! Non Apple folks love to see them hit bumps in the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,238 ✭✭✭Kaizersoze81

I love Apple, but I was having a think.. Everytime they do a big shift there's a "something-gate"... iPhone 3GS to 4 "shape" we had the issue with the bands being blocks by the hand causing the signal issues. Then we all remember 5 into 6 "shape" with bendygate :) With some luck they can land the "8" or whatever without hitch.. unlikely! Non Apple folks love to see them hit bumps in the road.

None of them compare to the 'exploding battery - gate' of the Samsung note 7. A full global recall. That's got to seriously damage them. Doubtful if we'll see the note 7 ever re-released.

Jappers! I missed that! That's what they get for using Samsung :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,593 ✭✭✭Northern Monkey

I'd like to see dual sim

• Advertisement

I'd like to see dual sim
    more chance of pigs flying than getting that tbh.

I'd rather the phone have no sim, one less moving part and etc. It's amazing that these phones are infinitely more powerful than the computers that put humans on the moon but they still rely on a tiny gold plated piece of plastic :P

Weren't Apple trying to get rid of sims altogether?

Why are they needed in this day and age, can we not just login to their network on the phone?

murpho999 wrote: »
    Weren't Apple trying to get rid of sims altogether?

Why are they needed in this day and age, can we not just login to their network on the phone?

they were, apple sim only on iPad though. however there was still a sim card slot so that you could place your own sim in.

the reason they aren't gone yet is that apple haven't become a cell phone carrier with their own infrastructure. I can't see sim card going away any time soon, it's the last piece of tech to die that the cell carriers have to keep themselves relevant :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

maximum12 wrote: »

No one is that bothered now as the pace of innovation in hardware is at a crawl.

True, at least for Apple it is...

True, at least for Apple it is...
    example of what you think it's innovative in the last 2 years? not trying to be an ass, just curious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Chromosphere

Big one is rapid charging.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

After forgetting to charge my phone last night and in the office with a cable to my PC I wish there was a quick charge option.

Currently at 17% in airplane mode. If I break 30% in the next 2 hours I'll be happy!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

godtabh wrote: »
    After forgetting to charge my phone last night and in the office with a cable to my PC I wish there was a quick charge option.

Currently at 17% in airplane mode. If I break 30% in the next 2 hours I'll be happy!

That's not right. Mine would fully charge in two hours off my laptop

• Closed Accounts Posts: 293 ✭✭jackinthemix94

maximum12 wrote: »
    That's not right. Mine would fully charge in two hours off my laptop

Easy. I can get 50% within 45 mins usually.

• Advertisement

22% now. Maybe I had a dodgy cable.

Advertisement