Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Event - 7th September 2016

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

Big one is rapid charging.

I'm surprised Apple haven't adopted the fast charging yet maybe on the 7 but I haven't seen anything to suggest that they will include it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

godtabh wrote: »
    After forgetting to charge my phone last night and in the office with a cable to my PC I wish there was a quick charge option.

Currently at 17% in airplane mode. If I break 30% in the next 2 hours I'll be happy!

My work Samsung Galaxy is the same. When connected to the work PC. It could take 3 hours to fully charge, longer if really low. Much quicker through a plug socket obviously.

Edit. It's a Samsung X-Cover.

I'm surprised Apple haven't adopted the fast charging yet maybe on the 7 but I haven't seen anything to suggest that they will include it.

How much quicker is it?
    My iPhone 6 charges very quick when connected to my iPad charger?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

buy yourselves the 12w charger, iPhone 6 and above charges quicker with it. and if no plug is available and you've got a Macbook Pro the USB will charge an iPhone faster than a regular usb port.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 204 ✭✭Chromosphere

Why do they ship such a low power charger then in the first place ?!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,485 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

they were, apple sim only on iPad though. however there was still a sim card slot so that you could place your own sim in.

the reason they aren't gone yet is that apple haven't become a cell phone carrier with their own infrastructure. I can't see sim card going away any time soon, it's the last piece of tech to die that the cell carriers have to keep themselves relevant :pac:

I still don't get why a phone needs a sim or what it actually does.

If for arguments sake you are a Vodafone Ireland customer then you receieve login details and then just login to your vodafone account on your phone on start up and away you go. Why do you need a sim?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Like many, upgraded every two years since the iP4. And every year followed the rumours with much anticipation. Unless Apple have a surprise up their sleeve (can't remember them ever having a big one) this launch will be greeted with ridicule.

Coming to the end of my 2 yr Vodafone contract I thinking I'll just jump ship with my iP6 and shop around for rates, instead of queuing on launch day like usual.

A bit of a sad day, if it comes to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,485 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Dades wrote: »
    Like many, upgraded every two years since the iP4. And every year followed the rumours with much anticipation. Unless Apple have a surprise up their sleeve (can't remember them ever having a big one) this launch will be greeted with ridicule.

Coming to the end of my 2 yr Vodafone contract I thinking I'll just jump ship with my iP6 and shop around for rates, instead of queuing on launch day like usual.

A bit of a sad day, if it comes to pass.

I'm in a similar boat, and think I will wait for next years one which I expect to be a big one.
    Also, I'm now out of contract with Meteor, and would prefer to buy the phone outright so I can jump networks easily.

By the way, iPhones have been ridiculed by Android heads since 2010 so I wouldn't worry about it. The 7 will no doubt be a great phone.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

murpho999 wrote: »
    By the way, iPhones have been ridiculed by Android heads since 2010 so I wouldn't worry about it. The 7 will no doubt be a great phone.
    No doubt it'll be a great phone, as is my iPhone 6. It's the very small incremental improvements in what should be an redesign year, that commentators will scoff at.

I don't believe there's much further Apple can go physically with the device. They have a size now for everybody, and it's light and slim enough for all but the most picky hands. The bezels will go eventually, you'd think.

Adding a new camera to only the bigger phone is a mistake when so little is on offer with the smaller option. Such a big phone is a lifestyle choice and may people who could afford it just won't carry such a big device. If the 4.7" 7 had an awesome new camera, upgrading would be on the cards for me.

Normally Malibu Stacy only gets a new hat in the "S" year. Not this time!

Why do they ship such a low power charger then in the first place ?!

The same 5W is issued with Samsung phones.

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    How much quicker is it?
    My iPhone 6 charges very quick when connected to my iPad charger?

The S7 edge charges from 0 to 100% in 1hr 35mins

The S7 edge charges from 0 to 100% in 1hr 35mins

That's great alright.
    But remember the S7 was released after the 6S so maybe the IP7 will have it.
    I just love the camera in the galaxy range. I think it away ahead of apples version. I still couldn't swap to one though personally.

That's great alright.
    But remember the S7 was released after the 6S so maybe the IP7 will have it.
    I just love the camera in the galaxy range. I think it away ahead of apples version. I still couldn't swap to one though personally.

I had the s7 egde for the past 5 months but sold it on Tuesday I had enough of android, the camera on the galaxy was good I didn't think that Apple was all that far behind, I like that the camera fills the whole screen on the Galaxy but its cropped on the iPhone.

I had the s7 egde for the past 5 months but sold it on Tuesday I had enough of android, the camera on the galaxy was good I didn't think that Apple was all that far behind, I like that the camera fills the whole screen on the Galaxy but its cropped on the iPhone.

I'm faced with upgrade decisions now.

I'm due an upgrade.
    I usually get the latest android Galaxy, sell it straight away and then sell My current iPhone and then buy the new one sim free from Belfast. Have done that the last 3 times (4, 5, 6). Bought my 3GS on adverts and I still thing that was one of the best designed iPhone or any phone.

I have immaculate 6 in silver (Apple leather cover and glass screen protector from day 1) and I can get the iPhone SE for free. So just trying to work out if by selling the 2 will find a new 7 or most of. Or, just wait and see if I can upgrade directly to a 7 through meteor and just sell my 6 to cover the cost.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Or, just wait and see if I can upgrade directly to a 7 through meteor and just sell my 6 to cover the cost.

That's what I'm thinking if I fancy an upgrade

godtabh wrote: »
    That's what I'm thinking if I fancy an upgrade

I'm edging towards this option. I'm just afraid meteor will alter the plans for the iPhones!

I don't think the pricing is going to change with the iPhone you'll get more storage for the same price when they were released last year.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Metoer look competitive for the iphone 6s plus 64gb vs three. I wonder will the be the same post the 7th

Just heard that the apple demos to the carriers in Ireland for the new iphone has been pushed back a week. Not sure what that means in reality but the new phone was meant to be a family members office the week after the launch and now is happening two weeks after the launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

ucd.1985 wrote: »
    What are you basing this off?

From all the rumours thus far.

Sure it will have faster processor. Better camera. Possibly the screen tech from the 9.7 iPad Pro. 3D Touch.

I'm more excited for iOS 10. Still id rather wait for the 2017 iPhone.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 2 Streamfreeze

Looking forward to see what Apple have up their sleeve for the iphone 7, doesn't seem to be much excitement about it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/gadgets-and-tech/news/iphone-7-almost-every-detail-of-new-phone-revealed-by-new-report-ahead-of-apple-launch-a7225856.html
    The new iPhone is going to be far faster, come in new colours, get new speakers and more, according to a new report.

The new report from the usually reliable KGI Securities seems to reveal almost everything about the iPhone 7, which is set to be released at a special event this week.

Apple's new phone will come in two new colours – and will no longer come in the classic Space Grey. Instead, Apple will sell a “dark black” phone alongside a “piano black” one, according to the report from KGI Securities, meaning that there will be five colours in the line-up.

That piano black colour may even be treated as an exclusive to the more expensive, high capacity versions of the phone, according to the report. That might be relaxed later on but initially will be limited because of limited supply.

Inside, the phone will be getting a major upgrade by adding in the A10 chip that will power the phone. That will be a dramatic speed boost on existing models – and it's not clear whether Apple intends to use that for any new features.

Perhaps the biggest change to the new phone, however, will be the camera on the back. As well as using long-rumoured dual-lens camera technology, the phone will also include other features like optical zoom that will together create far better images.

It will also change the flash to allow it to light up people's faces more realistically in pictures. Alongside other technologies that should make the phone far better at taking pictures in the dark, according to the report.

Apple has been highlighting the cameras in its phones in recent years, showing off pictures during its launch events. It has also highlighted the results of them in its Shot on iPhone ads.

And perhaps the most controversial change will be the move to drop the headphone jack. The new report sheds light on how exactly that will happen, and how Apple will try to win people around: by including earphones that plug into the Lightning charging port in the box, and also including a adapted that will allow for traditional headphones to be plugged in.

It will use the extra space freed up by the headphone jack to add in improvements to the screen and to the built-in speakers, according to the report. On the bottom will be a grille that will look like a speaker but will actually improve the pressure-sensitive Force Touch display, according to the report, though it's not clear how that will actually change the experience for users.

The removal of the headphone jack has also been rumoured to be a way of letting Apple make the phones more waterproof, by getting rid of one of the main places that water get in. That will allow Apple to sell the phone with the same waterproof rating as the Apple Watch – which theoretically can stand being put into one meter of water for up to 30 minutes.

Interesting leak reported by the Independent. Horrible timing for apples event if this is true.

I would suspect Apple are leaking this to build hype and probably deflect from tax stories tbh.

They don't usually leak

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

Most of those rumours have been circulating all year though, the only new info is the mention of the speaker grille being used to help with Force Touch.

One other thing was the mention of the 3GB of RAM, wish they'd include that in both models. I can kind of understand the bigger model having more room for things like the dual cameras but extra RAM could of been added to all models. I still think the phones could do with a little bit more RAM, to handle app and browser page refreshes. 4GB might be too much for now but 3GB would of been nice.

Not a fan of the size of the Plus model, and loosing out on features because I don't want a huge phone is definitely annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,039 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

I bought the 5 the January after it was released. It'll be 4 years old this January, I think it's finally time to take the plunge again :p The 5 is still going strong, Apple replaced the power button for free because it was part of a dodgy batch. The battery is shocking on it though and I have noticed from time to time it decides to spaz out. i wonder is that age or update related. I'll probably wait until Dec/Jan again and be happy out for 9/10 months until the s model gets released :(

• Registered Users Posts: 26,579 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Jimdagym wrote: »

No way that the independent is the true originator of this leak.
    I would suspect Apple are leaking this to build hype and probably deflect from tax stories tbh.

They don't usually leak

Apple control leak all the freaking time. When you see the WSJ and loopinsight.com talking about rumours they are apple controlled leaks. This year has been particularly controlled as we were getting mentions of dropping the headphone jack as far back as january, way before anything would touch the supply chain where things actually leak.

Apple don't need to deflect the tax stories. Tim Cook and his team of writers can spin any bad light into a good PR.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

Yeah, this happens all the time. I remember seeing blurry leaked pictures of the iPad a few days before the iPad announcement.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I read an interesting article a year or so ago on 9to5Mac, think it was from Mark Gurman. It was a good look into the controlled leaks that Apple use before releasing new products. I would definitely say the headphone jack removal was Apple, however there's no way all of this comes from them. For the past few events nearly every aspect of the events has leaked, it's very unusual to have surprises at these events anymore. There's no good coming from that.

It's about building the hype ... Apple are masters of PR and getting tons of free publicity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

I'm still using my Note 2 and it is in a serious need of replacement at this stage. I haven't used an iPhone since I got the very first released iPhone :-)

I think I am ready to jump back in and get an iPhone as my next phone instead of an Android one. I've been using Android for years and it has been great BUT I fancy a change nothing against Android it was either the new Note 7 or iPhone 7 and well Samsung has messed up big time and pretty much made up my mind to go with Apple for a change. So I'll be looking at the iPhone 7 Plus as I like the bigger phones. Roll on Wednesday !

Advertisement