Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Event - 7th September 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,572 ✭✭✭JeffKenna

Hi guys,

Thinking of getting a 6 and just wondering should I hold off until Wednesday...Will the prices reduce with the introduction of the 7 or does it make a difference (new from apple).

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Hi guys,

Thinking of getting a 6 and just wondering should I hold off until Wednesday...Will the prices reduce with the introduction of the 7 or does it make a difference (new from apple).

wait till after it goes on sale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 666 ✭✭✭maximum12

JeffKenna wrote: »
    Hi guys,

The 6 might not even be sold once the 7 comes out.

They probably won't drop prices until the new phone is available to buy which could be a month away in Ireland.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

kceire wrote: »
    That's great alright.
    But remember the S7 was released after the 6S so maybe the IP7 will have it.
    I just love the camera in the galaxy range. I think it away ahead of apples version. I still couldn't swap to one though personally.

The s6 had it before the 6s was released and can charge from 0 - 100% in around 90 minutes or so. Apple just seem slow to the party with fast charging is all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,408 ✭✭✭naasrd

jonnycivic wrote: »
    The s6 had it before the 6s was released and can charge from 0 - 100% in around 90 minutes or so. Apple just seem slow to the party with fast charging is all.

Cool story bro. Anything else you'd like to bore us with?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,691 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

naasrd wrote: »

and your problem is????

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

It's about building the hype ... Apple are masters of PR and getting tons of free publicity.
    This year I'd suggest the "leaks" are to do with expectation management.

If nothing was leaked we'd all be hoping for edge-to-edge OLED screens, reduced bezels, base 64GB with 3GB RAM in an all new physical body.

Now we (think we) know what to expect the disappointment has been spread over six months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Can we not result to dude babies for once...

The feature of fast charging is a valid concern to bring up. I don't see an issue with it?

Apple tend to be slow with everything it's just the way they do things. they tend to wait for a technology to mature, let other companies figure out the difficult stuff before releasing their own. it saves them massive R&D effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Can we not result to dude babies for once...

The feature of fast charging is a valid concern to bring up. I don't see an issue with it?

Apple tend to be slow with everything it's just the way they do things. they tend to wait for a technology to mature, let other companies figure out the difficult stuff before releasing their own. it saves them massive R&D effort.

Well not entirely true as they were the first with proper touchscreen smartphones, fingerprint sensors etc.

Fast charging to me is a nice to have but not a critical issue as we have portable chargers etc.

I would just love to see new technology batteries introduced that would keep your phone going for 4-5 days like the old days.

Every iPhone I have had (now on my 3rd, 3gs, 4s and now the 6) have all had batteries that start off ok but decline over time and it's very frustrating. My 6 battery now is lucky to last a day with minimal use and I need to charge it constantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

They'll include an adaptor in the first (and possibly second) release so there isn't complete outrage. Then they will remove it in future similar to the iPhone 2G coming with a dock and this became an optional extra shortly after.

Are you sure about the dock bit?

There might have been US only bundles I have forgotten about, but as far as I remember my original iPhone (purchased in the UK shortly after it was launched there) didn't come with a dock.

• Advertisement

murpho999 wrote: »
    Well not entirely true as they were the first with proper touchscreen smartphones, fingerprint sensors etc.

Fast charging to me is a nice to have but not a critical issue as we have portable chargers etc.

I would just love to see new technology batteries introduced that would keep your phone going for 4-5 days like the old days.

Every iPhone I have had (now on my 3rd, 3gs, 4s and now the 6) have all had batteries that start off ok but decline over time and it's very frustrating. My 6 battery now is lucky to last a day with minimal use and I need to charge it constantly.

yeah I should have said _almost_ everything, there have been true innovations of course :), they weren't first with a finger print sensor, they just bought the company that had existing products and then reworked it for the phone :pac:

Battery tech sucks it doesn't seem to follow moose's law like most electronics do, and even now moore's law is hitting its limits. Batteries get worse over time, it's not just unique to iPhone.

I've no doubt Apple have at least 1000 engineers or more working on trying to improve battery technology seeing as they have "several thousand engineers" on Apple Maps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

yeah I should have said _almost_ everything, there have been true innovations of course :), they weren't first with a finger print sensor, they just bought the company that had existing products and then reworked it for the phone :pac:

Battery tech sucks it doesn't seem to follow moose's law like most electronics do, and even now moore's law is hitting its limits. Batteries get worse over time, it's not just unique to iPhone.

I've no doubt Apple have at least 1000 engineers or more working on trying to improve battery technology seeing as they have "several thousand engineers" on Apple Maps.

Batteries getting worse over time isn't the problem though, it's how poor they are from day 1. I always have a chuckle to myself when people tell me their new phone has a really good battery, that they can get 1-1.5 days before charging if they turn off location services and only use the phone for calls and texts :p

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,226 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Innovation doesn't mean the first people to do it but the company that does it best.

In many regards Apple had/did do it best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭davo2001

godtabh wrote: »
    Innovation doesn't mean the first people to do it but the company that does it best.

O rly!

https://www.google.ie/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=define%3A+Innovation

Define: Innovation: "a new method, idea, product, etc."

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭jack presley

Can we at keep the 'who's better?' talk till at least after the product's announced?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭brophs

Can we at keep the 'who's better?' talk till at least after the product's announced?
    Seems an unorthodox way to score points on the internet, but I'm willing to give it a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

If Apple had 100 engineers working on battery tech I'd be amazed. I don't think you appreciate how lean Apple actually runs in terms of staffing. Remember this is the company that didn't have a complete set of retina icons for the screen for its own apps because the guy (singular) was busy with other projects. They hired a lot since then, but the culture hasn't changed that much. Also, I wonder how many of those future Maps "engineers" would be able to get a job in Cupertino.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

naasrd wrote: »

He made a very valid point. That wasn't Android vs Apple bashing it was a relevent observation.

Just because you don't want to hear about the iPhone's shortcomings doesn't mean the rest of us with an open mind don't.

It's about time fast charging comes to the iPhone. Wouldn't be surprised to see it in the 7.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I doubt they even have one guy dedicated to just battery tech. In keeping with Jobs's philosophy, Apple is still run like a start-up. They move the same small group around as needed. They do everything via drive-by updates in which they throw loads of resources and people at a particular thing and then reassign them. This is why many apps, features and even products resemble abandonware for long periods of time.

When Jobs was questioned about App Store problems a few years before he died he caught himself mid sentence saying "Apple doesn't have the resources of other companies–" before realising the absurdity of what he was saying.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 301 ✭✭Albert_Camus

They move the same small group around as needed. They do everything via drive-by updates in which they throw loads of resources and people at a particular thing and then reassign them.

Where can I read more on this? Cheers.

I for one am looking forward to the event, always do. Still haven't gone for an iPhone, hopefully this Wednesday I will be convinced!

• Advertisement

davo2001 wrote: »

Really
    Innovation is defined simply as a "new idea, device, or method".[1] However, innovation is often also viewed as the application of better solutions that meet new requirements, unarticulated needs, or existing market needs.[2] This is accomplished through more-effective products, processes, services, technologies, or business models that are readily available to markets, governments and society. The term "innovation" can be defined as something original and more effective and, as a consequence, new, that "breaks into" the market or society.[3] It is related to, but not the same as, invention.[4]

People think too literally.

Apple shows innovation in a lot of what it does but it was only first in some instances.

Look at Du Pont and what it did. From guns to parachutes to tights. No new products but new better materials

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Where can I read more on this? Cheers.

There isn't any particular articles about it that I can point to. Just general knowledge of how the company worked under Jobs that has come out over the years. The company itself has often touched on it in the context of the importance of focus. It was discussed a lot on the ATP podcast last year after Arment's "functional high ground" blog post blew up. Listen to some of the episodes from around that time for some discussion about it.

I doubt they even have one guy dedicated to just battery tech. In keeping with Jobs's philosophy, Apple is still run like a start-up. They move the same small group around as needed. They do everything via drive-by updates in which they throw loads of resources and people at a particular thing and then reassign them. This is why many apps, features and even products resemble abandonware for long periods of time.

When Jobs was questioned about App Store problems a few years before he died he caught himself mid sentence saying "Apple doesn't have the resources of other companies–" before realising the absurdity of what he was saying.

The battery in the MacBook would disagree :).

Battery is as important to apple as maps would be, so if they have several thousand working on it now then it's easy to see they'd have a sizeable amount working on batteries. Also if this apple car is true...
    Forstall had overseen dozens of people working in relative isolation: Several thousand people now work on Maps. "We needed to develop competencies that we initially didn’t appreciate," says Federighi
    https://www.fastcompany.com/3062090/tim-cooks-apple/playing-the-long-game-inside-tim-cooks-apple

I follow a good few Apple engineers that I know personally and those I've seen present at wwdc etc, and the difference between what they can/can't talk/elude to now is staggering. Apple has changed its no longer running like a start up imo.

Fear we may be getting a little too inside baseball here so....

iPhone 7 plus piano black 256gb for me what's everyone else getting?

No sure I've i'd go for a piano black. I think it would show every smudge going. I'd go with iPhone 7 plus 64gb probably

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

No sure I've i'd go for a piano black. I think it would show every smudge going. I'd go with iPhone 7 plus 64gb probably

Appears like the options could be 32, 128 & 256 in line with the iPad Pro range.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

There's definitely a 256gb version and will cost about €1,000

i'd go with the 32gb then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

No sure I've i'd go for a piano black. I think it would show every smudge going.

I will wait to see what kind of coating is used and how resistant it seems, but same concern here. Most pieces of electronics I have had with glossy black finish on a metal body tended to either have the coating peel off with repeated friction or be prone to cracks in cases of small shocks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,971 ✭✭✭Flaccus

Watch this vid from everythingapplepro
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yRHyr0HREHk

Most of the stuff we know about already, 2 new colours (space black replacing space grey and piano black), using speaker grille for forcetouch, 3gb ram on the plus to help the dual cameras, 32,128 and 256 memory options (no more 16 or 64) etc..

However it looks like you will be able to order the 7 and 7 plus with either lightning earpods or bluetooth airpods which are truly wireless. Also a lightning to 3.5mm adaptor will be included.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

The battery in the MacBook would disagree :).

Battery is as important to apple as maps would be, so if they have several thousand working on it now then it's easy to see they'd have a sizeable amount working on batteries. Also if this apple car is true...

https://www.fastcompany.com/3062090/tim-cooks-apple/playing-the-long-game-inside-tim-cooks-apple

I follow a good few Apple engineers that I know personally and those I've seen present at wwdc etc, and the difference between what they can/can't talk/elude to now is staggering. Apple has changed its no longer running like a start up imo.

Fear we may be getting a little too inside baseball here so....

Apple hasn't operated like a startup in forever. There's a massive difference between lean and lean startup. Those "thousands" of maps employees in the quote is pure bluff. That number is mostly retail staff that were propping up the service with their own time. Even the future employees in India only require very little training in which must be the most tedious data input job in the company. Also, common sense should tell you that Apple aren't paying 1000 engineers to do the work of their battery suppliers. You really should know better that this CG.

I won't buy a phone without a headphone jack. The tech isn't there. I say this as someone with a number of Bluetooth headsets of various quality (five if you count a pair of Hush's and a PlayStation one) and I love the idea -I was half tempted by Bragi's new headphones this morning - but practically they can be an absolute pain in the arse. In my pocket is a pair of B&O H5s and they're almost dead, but it's okay because I stash ear pods around the place and I've another in my desk drawer. I'm not carrying a dongle with me and I'm not buying 3 or 4 of the things. I reject this dongle life that Apple seem to have embraced lately.

Advertisement