Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Event - 7th September 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

I'll definitely wait and see what the colour options are, and check out some hands-on videos. Promotional images and renders never give the real life finish.

In a way it's better we get the iPhone in the second wave of countries, as annoying as the wait is we get to find out if any issues pop up like easily scratching paint etc.

I don't know if I'm mad for going for a 32GB. I just hate paying the extra 100+ for a small storage increases. 64GB would be perfect and plenty for me right now but I think we're a few years off that becoming the base model.

I've always gotten the black/darker model so I'll probably do the same this year, unless something eye catching is released.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

faceman wrote: »
    There's definitely a 256gb version and will cost about €1,000

At least!

The 128GB 6s Plus is €1,089

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,501 ✭✭✭Masala

Was on an flight this morning and they advised that only bud- earphone to be used during flight. That means that my recent 'beats-like' headphones that I bought cos they were blustooth (think they called August) not acceptable on board

Are bud- earphone coming in Bluetooth editions????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,320 ✭✭✭davo2001

Masala wrote: »

Yes, example below:

https://www.amazon.com/JayBird-Freedom-Bluetooth-Packaging-Midnight/dp/B005B28DOM

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

davo2001 wrote: »

when I think of wireless ear buds I'd think more along these lines

http://www.bragi.com

as to airlines not allowing bluetooth headphones, that's either a new one or a flight attendant that doesn't know any better. the tech is roughly the same between bluetooth headphones and earphones.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

FourFourFM wrote: »
    At least!

The 128GB 6s Plus is €1,089

I think the pricing will stay the same Apple done that from the 5s to the 6. The 5s cost me £619 for the 32GB and when the 6 was released it was also £619 for the 64GB.

I think the pricing will stay the same Apple done that from the 5s to the 6. The 5s cost me £619 for the 32GB and when the 6 was released it was also £619 for the 64GB.
    maybe for the 4.7" model, but the 5.5" is going to be €100 more expensive due to the dual cameras, hope I'm completely wrong on this though.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

DubDJ wrote: »

I don't know if I'm mad for going for a 32GB. I just hate paying the extra 100+ for a small storage increases. 64GB would be perfect and plenty for me right now but I think we're a few years off that becoming the base model.

Same here, 64gb is perfect. I just check my 6 and i'm using 32.3gb so I suppose I could trim down a bit to get a 32gb version.

+1
    have my email receipts saved and it was 619 stg when I bought in Belfast on launch day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Any good cover recommendations? Should a tempered glass protector be applied?

I've had this one from Speck for my last 2 iPhone's and would like a change if/when I change my phone

speck-pixelskin-hd-iphone-4_5.jpg

never really been a cover person, I think it's impacts usability too much.

Currently have a 6 (personal) and 6S (work) and have put an Apple leather case on the 6S purely to be able to tell them apart whilst deciding which to take out of my pocket. Will remove the case when I get the 7 Plus as the size will be enough to tell me which is which.

For family members however I only ever recommend Otterbox, and if Otterbox sold an Otterbox case for an Otterbox case I'd recommend that too :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

maximum12 wrote: »
    No one is that bothered now as the pace of innovation in hardware is at a crawl.
    True, at least for Apple it is...
    example of what you think it's innovative in the last 2 years? not trying to be an ass, just curious.

I agreed with the poster above that "the pace of innovation in hardware is at a crawl", and you ask me "whats innovative in the last 2 years"? :pac::pac::pac:

Bizzare!

I agreed with the poster above that "the pace of innovation in hardware is at a crawl", and you ask me "whats innovative in the last 2 years"? :pac::pac::pac:

Bizzare!

you said it was true for Apple at least, I was asking you for examples from other companies :pac: :pac: :pac:

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I don't think it's possible to evaluate the progress of Apple or any tech company as long as we keep using the term innovation. It inevitably becomes a debate about what "innovation" really means. Whatever the term originally meant it's now just a meaningless buzz word used by marketeers and other professional powerpoint presenters. The fact that they were able to co-opt it so successfully suggests it was always a somewhat ambiguous and abstract term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

L'prof wrote: »
    Any good cover recommendations? Should a tempered glass protector be applied?

I've had this one from Speck for my last 2 iPhone's and would like a change if/when I change my phone

speck-pixelskin-hd-iphone-4_5.jpg

I've always went with the official Apple leather case, perfect fit and adds very little bulk to the phone expensive but worth IMO.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I don't think it's possible to evaluate the progress of Apple or any tech company as long as we keep using the term innovation. It inevitably becomes a debate about what "innovation" really means. Whatever the term originally meant it's now just a meaningless buzz word used by marketeers and other professional powerpoint presenters. The fact that they were able to co-opt it so successfully suggests it was always a somewhat ambiguous and abstract term.

I think going forward we will see 'innovation' in how an iPhone interacts with other things. We have seen an echo system of how iOS MacOS interact. That's been extend to the watch and other devices. Soon that is where the meaningful features will be.

About a year ago I saw a demo for a integrated smart bike. Nothing new on it that you cant buy now individually but has all these bits and bobs integrated. The bike company was doing horizontal and vertical integration.

Apple will do the same with its on network. That will be innovation (but of a business model).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Was on an flight this morning and they advised that only bud- earphone to be used during flight. That means that my recent 'beats-like' headphones that I bought cos they were blustooth (think they called August) not acceptable on board

What airline is this? I use Bose noise cancelling headphones which are over ear and its only during take off and landing that they can't be used.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,760 ✭✭✭Effects

I had thought they already were available. I wouldn't bother with Beats by Dre. All style and very little substance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

faceman wrote: »
    What airline is this? I use Bose noise cancelling headphones which are over ear and its only during take off and landing that they can't be used.

I also find this strange - I fly quite a bit and have never been told over-ear headphones were not allowed.

They are not allowed during the safety demonstration, but that is for obvious reasons and also applies to earphones.

Definitely not an industry wide rule and if an airline is enforcing this it probably is an isolated case (Bose would not have such a godo business selling noise cancelling headphones if they were not allowed on airplanes).

Yes you have many options, but they will usually be much larger and quite a bit heavier than regular earphones as they need to integrate a battery as well as radio-transmission, audio decoding and amplification circuitry.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I've always went with the official Apple leather case, perfect fit and adds very little bulk to the phone expensive but worth IMO.
    I'd had the official leather case for the 5 and then the 6, and loved 'em.

I wonder if the 7 shape will be *just* different enough to force people who have a 6 case into buying a shiny new one. Maybe the camera or flash hole with prove the problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Dades wrote: »
    I'd had the official leather case for the 5 and then the 6, and loved 'em.

I wonder if the 7 shape will be *just* different enough to force people who have a 6 case into buying a shiny new one. Maybe the camera or flash hole with prove the problem.

Had a look there and they're pretty slick. Everyone went Marigold, right?

MMM22_AV1_ROSEGLD?wid=572&hei=572&fmt=jpeg&qlt=95&op_sharpen=0&resMode=bicub&op_usm=0.5,0.5,0,0&iccEmbed=0&layer=comp&.v=Swlln1

• Advertisement

That's a matter of opinion I guess but personally I find them too bulky and don't like the fact that the protruding design in the way it sits around the phone prevents your finger from smoothly sliding on the sides of the screen.

My 5 was naked and my 6 is in this (which look better in real life than on they picture).

It is a matter of perspective, but adding 2mm (my guess of what the Apple case adds) to a 6.9mm phone is arguably a major change in terms of thickness as it makes it circa 25% thicker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

Tons of cases on ebay. Many of very good quality and never had an issue with them, once you spend €5-10

Spending €40 -50 on an Apple case is OTT in my opinion.

I just wish we the screens were strong enough that we didn't need them as the phones look great without them.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,228 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I've had 3 Sena leather cases. I think they are great and would get another.

I hate adding bulk to the phone. I've always went for the thinnest, most minimal case I could find. Another factor was always cost, I won't pay Apple prices for a piece of plastic, I know the leather ones hold better value but still, some of them get close to the 100 mark.

I'll spend around 10 euro on Amazon and usually find something perfect, the last one I had was from Rinkge or something along those lines, and it was fine. I don't like the lip around the front either, especially with the curves on the iPhone 6 screen.

I still use screen protectors too, again I usually just pick up a 3 pack from Anker, much higher quality from some of the e-bay stuff and usually cost around 5-7 euro per pack.

I know people say buying an expensive phone and not forking out on an expensive case but when it's just a price of plastic I hate forking out for it. Plus, after paying 750 euro or more on a phone a lot of people will need the bank account to recover after that hit. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

If you're adding a really thin case to your device, you're probably not really adding any protection to the device. Wouldn't bother. Considering how nicer the phone feels in the hand without those horrible cheap plastic things on it.

Naked with a glass screen protector would probably the best best solution for most people.

Personally I go naked 90% of the time but when I'm heading out for a few drinks or fancy changing things up a bit I have the Apple leather case in marine blue to fall back on! Also couldn't be dealing with a screen protector.

FourFourFM wrote: »
    If you're adding a really thin case to your device, you're probably not really adding any protection to the device. Wouldn't bother. Considering how nicer the phone feels in the hand without those horrible cheap plastic things on it.

Agreed in principle (although a thin case still adds scratch protection). The reason I have one on my my iPhone 6 is that it is too slippery for me without a case. I would prefer to use it naked but the shape and material used make it feed a bit unconfortable to me.

Unfortunately I think Apple designed that phone to be used with a case (the protruding camera which is "fixed" by a case is another aspect), which I think is a step back.

Yep, as above it avoids the phone getting scratched and scuffed, as well as making it a whole lot easier to grip. I never even noticed the camera bump because I had the case but it would probably be another aspect of using one.

I find the screen breaking is less of a concern, I'd more likely drop and scratch it to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,206 ✭✭✭Zcott

I've been using iPhones since day one without any cases or screen protectors, and over the years I've had some minor scratches on the screen but that's all - no smashed screens yet. On holiday recently I used the Apple battery case which extended the battery life so much that I was going to bed with the case at 5% but the phone at 100%.

Back on topic though...it's tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭Sarn

I'm a minimalist case person. Just enough to provide some grip and a small bit of protection for the corners. I found the 6 to be slippery to hold until I added the case.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I have a cheap transparent case from Lidl on my 6s. I use it mainly for grip. I also have a Speck CandyShell Grip but rarely use it except for travelling as I find it interferes with swipe gestures.

Never used a case on any previous iPhone but the 6/6s is too big and slippery.

Advertisement