Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Event - 7th September 2016

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

So for tomorrow is anybody expecting anything surprising. Or have any expectations for it?

One thing I'd like to see, that would make the upgrade seem better is battery/charging improvements. A small battery life increase has been rumoured but if they implemented some sort of quick charging, along the lines of Qualcomm or OnePlus' Dash charging it would be a huge welcome addition.

The leaks have pretty much given most details, so from tomorrow I'm really looking to find out the Irish release date. The other thing I'll be watching is prices, I'm hoping the don't tack on one of their increases.

I remember buying the iPhone 4 in 2010 which started at 499, now the entry level is 759. That's a crazy price hike, it can't be put down to VAT or exchange rates. With Apple bumping the storage tier I hope they don't start pricing it at 799. Love to see some sort of decrease as the euro has gotten stronger lately, but I won't hold my breath on that one.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

DubDJ wrote: »

I remember buying the iPhone 4 in 2010 which started at 499, now the entry level is 759. That's a crazy price hike, it can't be put down to VAT or exchange rates. With Apple bumping the storage tier I hope they don't start pricing it at 799. Love to see some sort of decrease as the euro has gotten stronger lately, but I won't hold my breath on that one.

Apple are just milking the market

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

I think unlocked and without contract it was rather 600 for the 16GB and 700 for the 32GB.

But yes definitely agree with you at a high level, Apple has played various marketing tricks to both increase the minimum entry point and add a myriad of new options of the top end to push people to buy more expensive stuff.

Back in the days a latest generation iPhone was 600 or 700 depending on the storage option. Today it spans from 759 to 1089 (knowing that the 759 option is intentionally fairly useless in terms of storage for todays standards in order to push most people at least to the second model).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Interesting that Macrumors is reporting that the airpods will be the premium headphones, with a price above Beats. I was willing to bet that we'd see an average set of Bluetooth buds with some marketing spin/feature in the 100 euro bracket. So we're looking at 250 euro now? I suppose this takes people like myself into account. People who won't touch anything for the beats brand. Then again Apple's form in quality audio had only ever been middling at best.

Bob24 wrote: »
    I think unlocked and without contract it was rather 600 for the 16GB and 700 for the 32GB.

I'm not too sure, I know I bought the iPhone 4 32GB for 699 so I assumed 16GB was 599 and 8GB was 499. So the 8GB entry would of been 499 if I'm not mistaken. 6 years ago so my memory could be hazy.

• Advertisement

Interesting that Macrumors is reporting that the airpods will be the premium headphones, with a price above Beats. I was willing to bet that we'd see an average set of Bluetooth buds with some marketing spin/feature in the 100 euro bracket. So we're looking at 250 euro now? I suppose this takes people like myself into account. People who won't touch anything for the beats brand. Then again Apple's form in quality audio had only ever been middling at best.

I find that rumour surprising.
    At that price, Apple would have to seriously up their game in terms of audio quality compared any other previous earphones they have released - and managed to change their brand image a bit or convinced new people to spend that much on earphones (people who are curently willing to spend 250 on earphones have many other brands in mind before Apple).

Having said that I would be happy it if was true. I have always kind disposed beats and when Apple purchased it, it actually degraded the Apple brand image foe me. So I was happy so see Apple Music did not borrow to much from Beats Music and killed it, and I would be glad if Apple decided to make Beats their bass-head teenager's brand and have other good Apple Branded stuff for the rest of us ;-)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Yep, as above it avoids the phone getting scratched and scuffed, as well as making it a whole lot easier to grip. I never even noticed the camera bump because I had the case but it would probably be another aspect of using one.

I find the screen breaking is less of a concern, I'd more likely drop and scratch it to be honest.

I always treated mine like a baby, no case, just really careful.......then I dropped the 6. One smashed screen and into the Otterbox symmetry it goes with their screen protector on it as well. Too expensive to leave it unprotected, for me anyway.

I'm not too sure, I know I bought the iPhone 4 32GB for 699 so I assumed 16GB was 599 and 8GB was 499. So the 8GB entry would of been 499 if I'm not mistaken. 6 years ago so my memory could be hazy.

There was no 8GB option at launch - only 16 and 32 (the 8GB one was only introduced as a low end model a year later, when the 4S was released, and the 16 and 32 models were discontinued to be replaced by the 4S).

Apple only introduced 3 tiers storage pricing with the 4S which was released as 16, 32, or 64 (which is one of the marketing tricks I mentioned to increase average sales prices - on previous models rather than introducing a new more expensive storage option, they just doubled the storage of each model while keeping the same prices).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

I'm a minimal case too.
    Usually something from Spigen, neo hybrid or something.
    But recently I've been using the apple leather cases. Very minimal, good grip and can be fit for very cheap on eBay. But they do were over time with the leather pealing etc

I've gone from a red one to a marine blue one now (dark blue).

whiterebel wrote: »
    I always treated mine like a baby, no case, just really careful.......then I dropped the 6. One smashed screen and into the Otterbox symmetry it goes with their screen protector on it as well. Too expensive to leave it unprotected, for me anyway.

Not what everyone prefers, but AppleCare+ is an alternative if you want to go naked and have peace of mind (many people actually buy several cases/protectors over a 2 years period and can spend a decent bit of the cost AppleCare+ in those cases).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,716 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

The entry level was 16GB though, not 8GB.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

FourFourFM wrote: »
    The entry level was 16GB though, not 8GB.

8gb was available after the 5

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

That's a matter of opinion I guess but personally I find them too bulky and don't like the fact that the protruding design in the way it sits around the phone prevents your finger from smoothly sliding on the sides of the screen.

My 5 was naked and my 6 is in this (which look better in real life than on they picture).

It is a matter of perspective, but adding 2mm (my guess of what the Apple case adds) to a 6.9mm phone is arguably a major change in terms of thickness as it makes it circa 25% thicker.

I would go naked but as I upgrade every year it keeps the resale value high. I've used terrapin covers in the past and found them to be great, you do lose a little protection on the base of the phone with the Apple covers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭Ivefoundgod

Looking forward to this, battery has gone to hell on my S6 and am due upgrade so hopefully this is my next phone. Had been considering the Note 7 but the recall has put paid to that. Will probably go for the 7 Plus as my girlfriend has the 6 Plus and I like it. Anyone want to take a guess at pricing on contract? I'm leaning towards contract but if the prices are too high I'll just hang on and buy it outright whenever it becomes available.

I was blown away by the iPhone 4 the best smart phone released ever in IMO. I remember the keynote and Steve telling the audience to turn off their WiFi, any way they reduced the storage of the 4 to 8GB on the release of the 4s.

godtabh wrote: »
    8gb was available after the 5

I know that there was an 8gb version a year later. As has happened with devices since that i.e 4s & 5c. But the entry level is still 16gb.

If you're adding a really thin case to your device, you're probably not really adding any protection to the device. Wouldn't bother. Considering how nicer the phone feels in the hand without those horrible cheap plastic things on it.

Naked with a glass screen protector would probably the best best solution for most people.

Personally I go naked 90% of the time but when I'm heading out for a few drinks or fancy changing things up a bit I have the Apple leather case in marine blue to fall back on! Also couldn't be dealing with a screen protector.

The screen protector is a necessary evil the trick with screen protectors is to apply it immediately after you peel off the plastic from the screen out of the box , your gaurenteed to not get bubbles and you won't notice it's there at all.

I was blown away by the iPhone 4 the best smart phone released ever in IMO. I remember the keynote and Steve telling the audience to turn off their WiFi, any way they reduced the storage of the 4 to 8GB on the release of the 4s.

Why turn off wifi?
    Highlight hotspot?

kceire wrote: »
    Why turn off wifi?
    Highlight hotspot?

No during the keynote he was demonstrating how quick the phone loads a Web page the phone would not load during this and he was rightly angry so he asked all those in the hall to turn of wifi as so many were using it.

• Advertisement

Classic I watched that live he held it together well though.

If you're adding a really thin case to your device, you're probably not really adding any protection to the device. Wouldn't bother. Considering how nicer the phone feels in the hand without those horrible cheap plastic things on it.

Naked with a glass screen protector would probably the best best solution for most people.

Personally I go naked 90% of the time but when I'm heading out for a few drinks or fancy changing things up a bit I have the Apple leather case in marine blue to fall back on! Also couldn't be dealing with a screen protector.

The screen protector is a necessary evil the trick with screen protectors is to apply it immediately after you peel off the plastic from the screen out of the box , your gaurenteed to not get bubbles and you won't notice it's there at all.

I don't know - screen protectors seem overrated to me. Never had one since the original iPhone and never had a scratched screen. Scratch resistance is why Steve Jobs ordered to move from a plastic screen to a glass screen at the last minute and Apple went for gorilla glass.

+1

I hated the plastic design of the 3GS and was too happy to replace it with a much better looking and smaller 4. The Retina display was also a game changer for me.

I don't know - screen protectors seem overrated to me. Never had one since the original iPhone and never had a scratched screen. Scratch resistance is why Steve Jobs ordered to move from a plastic screen to a glass screen at the last minute and Apple went for gorilla glass.

Tell that to the mighty grain of sand.

Tell that to the mighty grain of sand.

Either I am especially careful (I honestly don't think so, I just make sure my phone is left alone in my pocket with no key or funny think like that) or people who need one are not that careful - but never had any problem with scratching the screen and I have exclusively used iPhones (and iPads) since the first one was released. Same for brother who started with the original one, and parents and girlfriend who respectively joined the iPhone party with the 4 and the 4S.

Edit: one scratch resistance test amongst many other similar ones: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CVR44E3u23I
    I won't do the same thing with my phone but the knife test is quite impressive (of course if you use hard sandpaper you will easily scratch it - but will it happen in real life?).

Seems to be a very close mock up

https://youtu.be/-5SwT0AvKYg

kceire wrote: »
    Seems to be a very close mock up

not working

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,930 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Not what everyone prefers, but AppleCare+ is an alternative if you want to go naked and have peace of mind (many people actually buy several cases/protectors over a 2 years period and can spend a decent bit of the cost AppleCare+ in those cases).

If you use AppleCare+ twice you pay out another €130 in excess on top.

Sorry, €138 - it's now €69 excess per time.

godtabh wrote: »
    not working

Trying to be fancy with an embedded link!

Try this

https://youtu.be/-5SwT0AvKYg

• Advertisement

My mistake with the storage tiers, but still even the 600 entry price has hugely increased recently to the 759 they charge now. Good to see they finally bumped to 32GB, if the rumours are true that is.

I've a 5c at the moment and there are a fair few scratches on the screen. I'd imagine with normal regular use the screen would pick some up. It would drive my OCD crazy so screen protector is a must. :D

Advertisement