Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Event - 7th September 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

whiterebel wrote: »
    If you use AppleCare+ twice you pay out another €130 in excess on top.

Sorry, €138 - it's now €69 excess per time.

Sure if you expect you will consistently break an unprotected phone twice during your ownership period, it is best to have a big rubberised case.

But for people who don't tend to drop their phones regularly / don't have young children using the phone / etc, the excess fee will not be paid very often (I have AppleCare+ just in case, but I never broke any phone - just dropped 2 or 3 times since the original iPhone but in all cases they survived with no damage).

It's a matter of lifestyle and personal preference.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Bob24 wrote: »
    Sure if you expect you will consistently break an unprotected phone twice during your ownership period, it is best to have a big rubberised case.

But for people who don't tend to drop their phones regularly / don't have young children using the phone / etc, the excess fee will not be paid very often (I have AppleCare+ just in case, but I never broke any phone - just dropped 2 or 3 times since the original iPhone but in all cases they survived with no damage).

It's a matter of lifestyle and personal preference.

I wouldn't call it a big rubberised case, it's not a defender. €99 + €69 excess versus €50 for a case and screen protector is a no brainier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,906 ✭✭✭FourFourRED

I wouldn't call it a big rubberised case, it's not a defender. €99 + €69 excess versus €50 for a case and screen protector is a no brainier.

Probably a no brainier for you. But as usual you act before you think. Let's say you drop your iPhone 6 into water and it won't power on anymore, requires a replacement . Your €50 case is useless here. €69 excess fee versus €320 for a replacement device makes a lot more sense.

Plus with AC+ you get 2 years warranty instead of one. Very handy for any hardware issues that can happen outside the one year. Much easier claiming under warranty than getting a device repaired / replaced under consumer law.

It's a personal and lifestyle choice as the original person said and I fully agree. I have AC+ on my device and therefore aren't as concerned about dropping my phone as you are. A €50 case that's fully going to prevent a dropped phone from breaking would take away the experience of using the phone for me and I can afford to go without a case because of the AC+ piece of mind factor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,359 ✭✭✭DubDJ

If you don't mind spending the money then AppleCare+ would be of value to you I suppose.

I personally wouldn't spend it, looking at it now I think it's essentially worth less too if the rumours of water resistance are true.

The price for the latest iPhone is currently 149 euro + an additional excess fee of 99 per incident. That 248 is definitely too expensive for repairs unless something seriously wrong happens to the iPhone.

If water resistance is a feature that means the only thing likely to happen to my iPhone is a broken screen. And spending under 20 euro on a decent case and screen protector is more than likely going to stop that from happening without ruining the experience for me.

Even if by a small chance the screen was damaged I'd pay under 150 euro which is a lot less. You're only saving money if anything worse happens to the phone. So unless you get really unlucky I don't personally see the value in it.

Going back on topic, what is the interest like for possible Apple Watch announcements?

I have to say my original view that it is yet another device which needs to be upgraded regularly and charged everyday and without bringing much useful functionality to me still holds - so basically more pain than pleasure or usefulness. And while - I hope - not a fanboy who just buys for the brand I have been a fairly good and loyal Apple customer as well as an early adopter for many of their products).

Are most people on the same page or are many excited and waiting to upgrade or buy the new gen watch?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Going back on topic, what is the interest like for possible Apple Watch announcements?

I have to say my original view that it is yet another device which needs to be upgraded regularly and charged everyday and without bringing much useful functionality to me still holds - so basically more pain than pleasure or usefulness. And while - I hope - not a fanboy who just buys for the brand I have been a fairly good and loyal Apple customer as well as an early adopter for many of their products).

Are most people on the same page or are many excited and waiting to upgrade or buy the new gen watch?

I bought an Apple Watch brand new on adverts and sold it within a month for what I paid for it.

Great idea but I think it wasn't quite there with the first edition. Maybe watch 2 will change that. I will probably but one again someday, not now but still very interested in its updates.

I was put off by the price of the original Apple Watch. Early reviews weren't overly positive either, and I wasn't a huge fan of the design comparing it with some of the Android Wear watches.

Unfortunately, because it's an iPhone the only real choice is an Apple Watch. I know some Android Wear watches support iOS but they're limited and don't offer the same feature set.

I'm considering the Apple Watch 2, due to the GPS. I'll see what comes out from today before I decide though. I think the watch could hold most surprises, as there aren't many details known. That could be because not much is changing though and that's why.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Not really interested in the watch. There's a lot of potential in it but not in its current forum. I think they made a mistake going after the traditional watch market.

At the moment if I were to get a fitness tracker I'd probably get a Fitbit.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

DubDJ wrote: »
    If you don't mind spending the money then AppleCare+ would be of value to you I suppose.

I personally wouldn't spend it, looking at it now I think it's essentially worth less too if the rumours of water resistance are true.

The price for the latest iPhone is currently 149 euro + an additional excess fee of 99 per incident. That 248 is definitely too expensive for repairs unless something seriously wrong happens to the iPhone.

If water resistance is a feature that means the only thing likely to happen to my iPhone is a broken screen. And spending under 20 euro on a decent case and screen protector is more than likely going to stop that from happening without ruining the experience for me.

Even if by a small chance the screen was damaged I'd pay under 150 euro which is a lot less. You're only saving money if anything worse happens to the phone. So unless you get really unlucky I don't personally see the value in it.

I didn't realise it had gone up to that extent. Makes it even harder to justify if the water resistance comes in.

I didn't realise it had gone up to that extent. Makes it even harder to justify if the water resistance comes in.

Yes I will think twice about it next time (though the warranty extension, the fact that the phone will be fixed not matter what, and the express replacement service still hold value). Like many things Apple they are indeed going a bit overboard in terms of pricing compared to a few years ago.

Now it won't convince me to get a large and ugly (in my opinion) case. The choice for me will be either AC+ or take the chance to have to pay a repair fee every couple of years (experience tells me it won't happen very often as I never had to pay Apple for anything for repair since my original iPhone).

• Advertisement

I don't think the watch is as essential comparing it to other devices they sell, most people seem to think they can do without it no problem.

It feels more like an accessory rather than a stand alone product.

I wonder what the running order will be today. I'd say the watch first, then iPhone. I know new EarPods and beats are rumoured but they'd probably have to come after the iPhone. Thinking maybe the Airpods could be a 'One more thing' at the end.

The iPad lineup could be simplified after today too, seeing the reports of stock shortages the Air 2 could be discontinued.

I know they'll recap most of the software updates but doesn't seem like a lot to fill the normal 2 hours. Maybe the usual app demos and health kit related updates I suppose.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

I'll buy the watch 2 I missed the watch when I bought the s7 edge some nice features in watch OS3 and with the bigger battery I will be buying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

I've yet to see an android watch I'd actually wear, they all look like those watches you'd win at the fair grounds. bad materials, half cut off displays, poor screen quality. that's not to say the apple watch is flawless, the UI was a mess (getting better with watchOS 3), the hardware was super slow (apparently getting better with watchOS 3 I'll wait to judge that though) and the battery is a little weak even on the 42mm. I know it outlasted everyone's expectation, I can push it two days without charging but the king here is the pebble at 7 days, that'd be nice to have in the apple watch but i understand why it's not.

Not really interested in watch 2. Have the original stainless steel model with leather loop band. It is gorgeous but I don't find it that useful to me. I'll probably give Watch OS 3 a go tonight if the GM is released. One final chance before selling it!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,229 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

I won a watch when it was launched. I think its great but I wouldnt buy it for what it retails for.

Things that I would really like to see announced today to come to the new phones based on the rumours and personal hopes:

Optical Image Stabilisation on the 4.7" model
    60FPS 4K video recording on both models
    Some form of fast charging. (I use the 12W power adapter but it still could be better)
    Improved screen resolution on both models
    Water resistance (IPX7)
    128GB option for the second tier

Plus the usual bumps in speed and battery of course.

If they can hit most of that I'll be happy. I'm getting it either way though!

I've yet to see an android watch I'd actually wear, they all look like those watches you'd win at the fair grounds. bad materials, half cut off displays, poor screen quality. that's not to say the apple watch is flawless, the UI was a mess (getting better with watchOS 3), the hardware was super slow (apparently getting better with watchOS 3 I'll wait to judge that though) and the battery is a little weak even on the 42mm. I know it outlasted everyone's expectation, I can push it two days without charging but the king here is the pebble at 7 days, that'd be nice to have in the apple watch but i understand why it's not.

Don't know how well it works, but the Huawei W1 Smartwatch looks nice. Samsung gear s2 not too bad either. My OH loves her Apple Watch to bits, I don't think she's worn any other watch since she got it. Sets alarms on it, reminders, texts etc while leaving the phone on her desk. Got the 42mm a while back for stg£269 in Dixons Stansted.

FourFourFM wrote: »
    Things that I would really like to see announced today to come to the new phones based on the rumours and personal hopes:

Optical Image Stabilisation on the 4.7" model
    60FPS 4K video recording on both models
    Some form of fast charging. (I use the 12W power adapter but it still could be better)
    Improved screen resolution on both models
    Water resistance (IPX7)
    128GB option for the second tier

Plus the usual bumps in speed and battery of course.

If they can hit most of that I'll be happy. I'm getting it either way though!

I know they are not coming, but 2 things I would like:
    - removal of the camera bump
    - wireless charging technology which is aimed to be extended to all Apple products (I would like it there was some kind of charging pad I could have on my bedside table and which would charge all the devices I drop there - and I think Apple needs to avoid forcing people to carry a watch specific and a phone specific charger when they travel).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Don't know how well it works, but the Huawei W1 Smartwatch looks nice. Samsung gear s2 not too bad either. My OH loves her Apple Watch to bits, I don't think she's worn any other watch since she got it. Sets alarms on it, reminders, texts etc while leaving the phone on her desk. Got the 42mm a while back for stg£269 in Dixons Stansted.

The bands on that look and feel horrible. you bring up another point which is why I think the Apple Watch is nicer, they cater for people with smaller wrists (i.e. your OH). No Android Wear watch has done this as well as Apple IMO, and the majority of Android Wear watches are made for chunky men wrists.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

my main gripe is the camera. I find the Samsung camera much better.
    Maybe that will be fixed now with the Sony sensor that's supposedly being used (same as S7).
    would love wireless charging and water resistance.
    not worried about fast charging as my phone has never gone dead on me during the day.

• Advertisement

kceire wrote: »
    my main gripe is the camera. I find the Samsung camera much better.
    Maybe that will be fixed now with the Sony sensor that's supposedly being used (same as S7).
    would love wireless charging and water resistance.
    not worried about fast charging as my phone has never gone dead on me during the day.

If the 7 gets OIS it should make a massive difference especially in low light situations.

I don't really appreciate the larger model's form factor. It's crazy that a 5.5" display is in such a large housing. However, because of this new camera system we're expecting, I'm just going to have to ignore that and go for it. Could be groundbreaking :)

Wireless charging would be nice but I reckon it will be 2017 or 2018 before we see that arrive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

FourFourFM wrote: »
    If the 7 gets OIS it should make a massive difference especially in low light situations.

I don't really appreciate the larger model's form factor. It's crazy that a 5.5" display is in such a large housing. However, because of this new camera system we're expecting, I'm just going to have to ignore that and go for it. Could be groundbreaking :)

Wireless charging would be nice but I reckon it will be 2017 or 2018 before we see that arrive.

Samsung really have the sweet spot for phone sizes the s7 edge is a 5.5 screen and feels great in the hand were as the plus is massive I even think it's bigger than the note. I'll be buying the plus as I couldn't go back to the smaller screen.

• Administrators Posts: 54,071 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Been looking a watch for ages, but the Watch 2 will need to be a lot better than the original if I'm to buy one.

The original watch was a disappointment, I think Apple fell into the trap of thinking all they had to do was stick an Apple logo on it and people would fawn over it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

I'm a 6 user and would normally upgrade but don't feel the 7 has enough to tempt me especially when you see the rumours of what's coming next year.

I think a lot of people will feel the same way about this and this could impact iPhone sales for the next year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 584 ✭✭✭neonman

murpho999 wrote: »
    I'm a 6 user and would normally upgrade but don't feel the 7 has enough to tempt me especially when you see the rumours of what's coming next year.

I think a lot of people will feel the same way about this and this could impact iPhone sales for the next year.

I'm thinking the same although I am not an Apple iPhone user (yet). I was planning on buying the iPhone 7 but would the smart move be to wait another year and go with the iPhone 8 (10 year iPhone anniversary) ??

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

neonman wrote: »
    I'm thinking the same although I am not an Apple iPhone user (yet). I was planning on buying the iPhone 7 but would the smart move be to wait another year and go with the iPhone 8 (10 year iPhone anniversary) ??

IMO, no. Get the 7. murpho999's post applies more to existing iPhone users who usually upgrade every 2 years.

The 7 will be a big upgrade or at least as big as any other iPhone upgrade, just not in terms of design, which is the main reason most users upgrade. Internally the iPhone 8 probably won't be that different from the 7. And a new design can bring its own problems.

murpho999 wrote: »

I kind of feel that way. Will probably upgrade anyway as the warranty of the 6 is ending, the resell value will keep falling, much faster SSD flash storage is good to take, and Apple will likely stop optimising its OS for 1GB devices soon - but not very excited about it unless there are surprise in the keynote.

neonman wrote: »

If you are a new Apple user you are on a different boat compared to people wondering if it is worth an upgrade. I would say go for it as it will be a very refined version of the iPhone 6 design - and as Sad Professor it will likely have similar internals to net years model and also no issues related to new designs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,763 ✭✭✭✭Crann na Beatha

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

This post has been deleted.

The "real" iPhone 7, probably called the iPhone 8, with a redesigned form factor. Today's iPhone is expected to be an iPhone 6ss in all but name.

Advertisement