Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apple Event - 7th September 2016

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

This post has been deleted.

Drastic redesign which Appel has been working on for a while to blow everyone away, but which was not ready on time for this year (hence a third iteration on the iPhone 6 design as a stopgap).

Things which have been mentioned: single sheet of glass for a super clean design, no home button with touch ID embedded in the screen, smaller footprint.

Now, lets remember these are rumours, not facts :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,531 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,497 ✭✭✭✭guil

Bob24 wrote: »
    Drastic redesign which Appel has been working on for a while to blow everyone away, but which was not ready on time for this year (hence a third iteration on the iPhone 6 design as a stopgap).

Things which have been mentioned: single sheet of glass for a super clean design, no home button with touch ID embedded in the screen, smaller footprint.

Any radical design next year is more likely to mark the 10 year anniversary of the first iPhone and not down to time constraints.

I kind of feel that way. Will probably upgrade anyway as the warranty of the 6 is ending, the resell value will keep falling, much faster SSD flash storage is good to take, and Apple will likely stop optimising its OS for 1GB devices soon - but not very excited about it unless there are surprise in the keynote.

What do people think the resale value of an Iphone 6 would be after today?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

guil wrote: »
    Any radical design next year is more likely to mark the 10 year anniversary of the first iPhone and not down to time constraints.

Also a shift away from the "tick-tock" release cycle to a tick-tock-tock.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

murpho999 wrote: »
    What do people think the resale value of an Iphone 6 would be after today?

€400 depends on condition and memory size.

€400 depends on condition and memory size.

Ok, thanks, it's a 64gb and in good nick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

COeaDhQWcAU1EH5.jpg

I would say if the '8' was ready this year then it would have been released in light of the competition they are facing.

Competitors now have a year's notice of what they are up to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,060 ✭✭✭OU812

Id say they'll do ok on sales but only because of Samsung's disaster. They're going to pick up a lot of new users (& corporate users) because of that.

I've a 6 (128gb) with official leather case & glass screen protector. It's been dropped numerous times and the protector changed twice because of that but no damage to the phone.

I normally would have upgraded on this cycle but will be holding off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,583 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

<lame tv troll image>

despite it being the exact same size as the iPhone 6 that was release 3 years ago. failed attempt at a troll.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,679 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

murpho999 wrote: »
    I would say if the '8' was ready this year then it would have been released in light of the competition they are facing.

Competitors now have a year's notice of what they are up to.

Time was certainly a factor, but one which they would have been aware of so far advance that I don't think the 7 can be considered a stopgap. Given that designs are mostly locked down a year in advance, they would have known probably 2 years ago that the 7 was going to retain the 6 design.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

What time is the keynote at tonight? I thought it was 5pm our time but I'm seeing 6pm now

ibFoxer wrote: »
    What time is the keynote at tonight? I thought it was 5pm our time but I'm seeing 6pm now

https://twitter.com/jeremyburge/status/773060929919578112

it's the spring events that are irish time +7.

Time was certainly a factor, but one which they would have been aware of so far advance that I don't think the 7 can be considered a stopgap. Given that designs are mostly locked down a year in advance, they would have known probably 2 years ago that the 7 was going to retain the 6 design.

Yup just like that bloomberg article that said apple couldn't get cellular into watch 2 so they just took it out (1 month ago)

hardware lead times are surprisingly long, I don't think most people get it. It takes 12 months of prep and about 3 months of tooling prep to deliver 60-70million iPhones in the first quarter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,464 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

https://twitter.com/jeremyburge/status/773060929919578112

it's the spring events that are irish time +7.

Much appreciated, thanks

Would Apple endanger its market position (which is already slipping) and break its traditional cycle by releasing a third incremental update whereas it could have delivered somethings bigger? For the sake of marking the 10th anniversary with a grand release?

My answer is no.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,993 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Would Apple endanger its market position (which is already slipping) and break its traditional cycle by releasing an third incremental update whereas it could have delivered somethings bigger? For the sake of marking the 10th birthday with a grand release?

My answer is no.

Hard to believe they would do it, but then again they do "think different"....

Yup just like that bloomberg article that said apple couldn't get cellular into watch 2 so they just took it out (1 month ago)

hardware lead times are surprisingly long, I don't think most people get it. It takes 12 months of prep and about 3 months of tooling prep to deliver 60-70million iPhones in the first quarter.

I do think though that if Apple has a big refresh in the works as part of an existing and critical product line which is on a schedule (as the iPhone now seems to be for September releases), they probably also have some prototypes ready for a "safe and easy" backup and more incremental update - in case several months or even a year ahead of release time it is found that the big thing looks like it might miss the original planned date.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

not seen anything battery related in any of the leaked pics / specs , i'm happy with the 6 plus battery but a nice upgrade would be nice

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,071 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

peteeeed wrote: »
    not seen anything battery related in any of the leaked pics / specs , i'm happy with the 6 plus battery but a nice upgrade would be nice

6s plus battery was fine, it easily lasts a day even with heavy use.

Anything more than that is a bit of a waste in money terms as it's hard to market it as something people will want. Most people charge their phone every day, so once you can provide a days worth of battery with heavy use you're good.

Wouldn't expect too much talk about battery in the 7.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Really don't see the upside to the removal of the headphone socket. Only a few months ago I spent €275 on a pair of Bose QC25s, only for Apple to now deem them to be obsolete. I was fully behind returning to Apple after a few generations of Androids but this one thing is totally putting me off.

Really don't see the upside to the removal of the headphone socket. Only a few months ago I spent €275 on a pair of Bose QC25s, only for Apple to now deem them to be obsolete. I was fully behind returning to Apple after a few generations of Androids but this one thing is totally putting me off.

I too bought QC25's in May. I'm hoping Bose will just release an updated cable that has a lightning connector. Saves me having to buy an adaptor or use the one in the box.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

I too bought QC25's in May. I'm hoping Bose will just release an updated cable that has a lightning connector. Saves me having to buy an adaptor or use the one in the box.

That's actually been the one thing that I've been holding out for too. Should be straight-forward enough to make a 2.5mm to lightning adapter cable but as always, there'll be money to be made, so they could get pricey.

Really don't see the upside to the removal of the headphone socket. Only a few months ago I spent 275 on a pair of Bose QC25s, only for Apple to now deem them to be obsolete. I was fully behind returning to Apple after a few generations of Androids but this one thing is totally putting me off.

Also have a QC25 and hoping for something like this.
    If Bose is an half decent company they should do it. But even if they don't I am sure there will but third party options as the jack connecting the cable to the headphones is kind of standard as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,752 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Claims Siri was off at school, Siri to be smarter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Might upgrade to the 7 from my 5s. It's served me well but if I can get a decent plan I'll take the hit.

On the 3 AYCE 20 quid a month at the moment.

I would really expect Apple to ship an adaptor with the phone. Lose too many customers otherwise. This is different to dropping floppy and cd drives.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,040 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

Might upgrade to the 7 from my 5s. It's served me well but if I can get a decent plan I'll take the hit.

On the 3 AYCE 20 quid a month at the moment.

I'm thinking of jumping up from the 5. Also on 3 €20/m, I think I'll just buy it outright rather than paying more over 24 months for a bill...unless anyone can find a really good deal out there?

Advertisement