Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Found chicken bone in bought roll

Options
  • 29-08-2016 5:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi all, i don`t know whether this is the right place to put this,
    About a week or two ago i bought some deli rolls and in my friends roll in the cajun chicken there was a chicken bone about the size of a 5 cent coin so needless to say the roll was not eaten. i have rang up the manager of the certain shop and informed him that this was not acceptable and that if a child had of been scoffing down the roll they could have choked or cut their throat with this, anyone could have been hurt. After a long conversation with said manager he informed me that he might have to change the chicken and that there was always the chance of a bone being missed in the chicken and being in the food. An apology was given for this happening and a small token was offered for their mistake. Over a week later this token has not been received which leads me to this post. If the manager cannot simply send something in the post he probably did not care too much about the situation and i was wondering if anybody had an opinion on this matter or even a similar circumstance?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Avada

Its a food product, it happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,116 ✭✭✭✭RasTa

Yeah, move on. Fail to see why it wasn't eaten afterwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,968 ✭✭✭blindside88

I don't see a real issue here with this, it's a simple oversight from there supplier that lead to a bone coming in the chicken, I don't see why the bone wasn't simply removed and the roll then consumed, it's not like you weren't aware that the chicken had bones. It's not like it was a foreign object that had no place there and therefore contaminated the meat

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

ifritzero wrote: »
    About a week or two ago i bought some deli rolls and in my friends roll in the cajun chicken there was a chicken bone about the size of a 5 cent coin so needless to say the roll was not eaten. i have rang up the manager of the certain shop and informed him that this was not acceptable and that if a child had of been scoffing down the roll they could have choked or cut their throat with this, anyone could have been hurt. After a long conversation with said manager he informed me that he might have to change the chicken and that there was always the chance of a bone being missed in the chicken and being in the food. An apology was given for this happening and a small token was offered for their mistake. Over a week later this token has not been received which leads me to this post. If the manager cannot simply send something in the post he probably did not care too much about the situation and i was wondering if anybody had an opinion on this matter or even a similar circumstance?

Really? So the manager offered u a free roll or something and you feel done because he hasn't delivered?

Any meat has the potential to have bones in it. He apologised even though he probably bought it from a wholesaler. If you really wanted action, forget the freebie and ask for paperwork showing he followed up the wholesaler.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Mod Note: Moved to Consumer Issues

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,411 ✭✭✭✭Water John

It is a risk, when eating fish or chicken that a small bone may be in it.
    Yes, the manager should have followed through on defusing the situation that had arisen.
    I ended up in hospital one time from a fish bone, bought in a takeaway. did not make a big deal of it, as such things may happen.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Mod note: OP, I've moved this into Consumer Issues forum because it's better suited to here. There is still a link to the thread in the Food forum.
    - Faith beat me to it.

In my experience, in a situation like this it can take weeks for a token to arrive.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭2Mad2BeMad

This is not America
    I'm surprised he offered anything in the first place.

With chicken, theirs always a tiny chance that theirs a bone in it that has been missed.

Hes the manager of a shop he can't be expected to go around and inspect chicken pieces brought in.
    If you found a bone, throw it out and continue eating.
    Be a different story if you ordered a breakfast roll and found a bone in it, then I'd be wondering where it came from

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ifritzero

corglass wrote: »
    Really? So the manager offered u a free roll or something and you feel done because he hasn't delivered?

Any meat has the potential to have bones in it. He apologised even though he probably bought it from a wholesaler. If you really wanted action, forget the freebie and ask for paperwork showing he followed up the wholesaler.

They prepare their own chicken.

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭bonyn

You mean chickens have bones?

Pull the other one. Next you'll be telling us you found a bone in your battered cod.

• Advertisement

bonyn wrote: »
    You mean chickens have bones?

Pull the other one. Next you'll be telling us you found a bone in your battered cod.

Wow just wow. With silly inputs like that i bet you really are an important person in society.
    **Sarcasm reduced by over 9000** please keep silly comments to yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,411 ✭✭✭✭Water John

He happens to be right. there was a bone in my battered cod.

Water John wrote: »
    It is a risk, when eating fish or chicken that a small bone may be in it.
    Yes, the manager should have followed through on defusing the situation that had arisen.
    I ended up in hospital one time from a fish bone, bought in a takeaway. did not make a big deal of it, as such things may happen.

I see your point , i might just leave it be. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 68,779 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'm more surprised the chicken was unprocessed enough to have one - deli chicken is usually heavily processed.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,209 ✭✭✭shamrock55

Dear God this kinda stuff drives me bananas,get over yourself,take out the bit of bone and eat the dam role will ya

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

L1011 wrote: »
    I'm more surprised the chicken was unprocessed enough to have one - deli chicken is usually heavily processed.
    I thought the same, I would be quite impressed to find a bone in a chicken fillet roll. Can you name & praise this outlet!
    so needless to say the roll was not eaten.
    Why was this. I know some people do not like meat on the bone, or seeing any sort of animal characteristics in their food, e.g. skin on fish, eyes on fish, skin on chicken, thick fat etc. But the fact you say needless is odd as it sounds like you think nobody in their right mind would eat chicken with bone in it.

I have found bones in skinless chicken fillets from supermarkets lots of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Used to work in a restaurant, couple of times a week id have someone ask is there bones in "that" fish??
    Very hard to answer without being sarcastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭corglass

Senna wrote: »
    Used to work in a restaurant, couple of times a week id have someone ask is there bones in "that" fish??

That's a valid question, just maybe not phrased quite correctly.

Most fillets of fish severed in restaurants are deboned before cooking. While whole fish wouldn't be. I'm not sure why I'm even explaining this as it's very obvious, especially if you worked in a restaurant.

So if a customer asked, you could simply have answered:

1: the fish has been deboned but there still might be the odd bond in it

2: it hasn't been deboned.

No need for sarcasm

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

So both answers are yes. Of course there doesn't need to be sarcasm, but if you ask the question, you deserve sarcasm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Again, not really. As has been said, you can be served up fully boned fish, served a fillet, or the fish was cooked fully and later deboned. The simple, as polite answer, is just to describe the how it was prepared.

Would you be sarcastic if the same question was asked of chicken?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭intheclouds

I dont understand why you didnt eat the roll?

• Registered Users Posts: 297 ✭✭bonyn

I dont understand why you didnt eat the roll?

He found a grain in the bread. Could have chipped a child's tooth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

So both answers are yes. Of course there doesn't need to be sarcasm, but if you ask the question, you deserve sarcasm.

You don't seem to get the legitimacy of the question. The customer is asking if it has been deboned or not. Some people just don't like picking through bony fish to get the meat. It's a perfectly understandable question and does not warrant you sarcasm at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Deagol

I always ask that on the rare occasions I might order fish. I nearly choked to death on something as a kid and I'm a bit OCD about fish bones. Therefore I won't order fish that isn't filleted and it's often impossible to tell this from the description on a menu.

But I'm glad to see such a simple question would be taken as requiring sarcasm to answer, hopefully most servers have a bit more manners and cop on than you did (do?).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭livedadream

i have a few questions-

why were you surprised to find a bone in an animal product, they have bones sometimes they slip through the net?
    why would you not continue eating the roll?
    why would you complain?
    what do you hope to gain from the shop that had the audacity to sell you fresh non processed chicken?

• Registered Users Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

A chicken bone found in a chicken product is NOT a foreign object. You should always eat animal products with care as they may occasionally contain bone, gristle etc. Would you throw away a lamb chop if you found a bit of bone in it?

Now a pair of false teeth or a horse's hoof and you might get more sympathy.

Though I thought the manager's offer was fair he should follow it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 522 ✭✭✭Walter2016

that if a child had of been scoffing down the roll they could have choked or cut their throat with this,

Once you used the "children" line, you lose respect as a complainant.

Advertisement