Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Written reference

Options
  • 29-08-2016 5:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭

Hi folks

I'm moving to Dublin in the next couple of weeks, and have been offered a job as a Healthcare Assistant in a Nursing Home, provided references are satisfactory.

I also currently work in a Nursing Home, and on the day of my interview I supplied the Director of Nursing with the contact details of my references.

I got a call from the new NH today to say that my current NH had only provided a statement of employment as it not their policy to provide individual references detailing a staff member's character, work ethic, etc.

It doesn't seem that the new NH will employ me without a written reference from my current job.

It needs to be from a Clinical Nurse Manager or higher, and I cannot get this.

I don't want to lose this job offer.

Can anyone shed some light on some possible solutions?

Edit: I forgot to add that the new NH are under the impression that receiving only a statement of employment from a current employer means the staff member is a troublemaker, which I am not.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I got a call from the new NH today to say that my current NH had only provided a statement of employment as it not their policy to provide individual references detailing a staff member's character, work ethic, etc.

That's fairly standard in a lot of industries unfortunately.

If you could get someone to give you a more detailed (unofficial) reference by phone, do you think the new employer would settle for that + a more basic letter? You may have a better chance than trying to get your old employer to provide an official, detailed reference in writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭dreoilin

Eoin wrote: »
    That's fairly standard in a lot of industries unfortunately.

If you could get someone to give you a more detailed (unofficial) reference by phone, do you think the new employer would settle for that + a more basic letter? You may have a better chance than trying to get your old employer to provide an official, detailed reference in writing.

Unfortunately, my new employer seems adamant that I get at least one written reference from my current employer, and is very specific about who it's from. I could get countless references from nurses and senior carers (no good to my potential employer) but the clinical nurse managers and above won't do it.

Think I'll have to chalk this one up as a loss and curse HIQA.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

But maybe you could get a written, basic reference that just states your title and start/leave dates, and ask them to take a call where they could give more details?

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭dreoilin

Eoin wrote: »
    But maybe you could get a written, basic reference that just states your title and start/leave dates, and ask them to take a call where they could give more details?

They sent that already, which led the new place to call me saying it wasn't enough. She isn't interested in phonecalls. I provided contact details and told her that they'd be more than happy to chat to her but she just wants a written one.

She's being stubborn, if you ask me.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,970 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

I wonder if she gives written references to her own former staff. Can you get busy on LinkedIn and track some down?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭MrBobbyZ

Is there any chance your potential employer has a reference form that can filled out, detailing punctuality, presentation and asking if there any reason you would not be suitable for the role.
    Many employers wont write out references as a policy, some may fill out a reference form however.

Advertisement