Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Illegal Irish workers in Australia face a perilous existence

Options
  • 29-08-2016 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭

I've tuned out of this forum since I got my aus tax back but I saw this in the Irish Times and thought some here might find it of interest.
    http://www.irishtimes.com/life-and-style/generation-emigration/illegal-irish-workers-in-australia-face-a-perilous-existence-1.2771284

My WTF moment was this:
    “People are rushing to get citizenship who have no intention of remaining in Australia, and the department has cottoned on to that,” O’Hagan agrees.
    “They sometimes even say it in their citizenship interviews, or ask for their applications to be rushed through because they are moving home.
    “They will be refused, because genuine citizen applicants are expected to contribute to Australian society in the long term.”

If the shoe were on the other foot and someone was telling an Irish emigration officer to speed it up so they could go home I'd fully support their application being binned.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭In Exile

Why would you even say something like that in an interview?

I've noticed the crackdown on PR too. I know a few people who are heading home soon. They have been on sponsored 4 year visas, but don't want to risk wasting 6k on a PR application. Supposedly, moving from a 457 to PR isn't simply done and there seems to be a large number of Irish being denied

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

In Exile wrote: »
    Why would you even say something like that in an interview?

I've noticed the crackdown on PR too. I know a few people who are heading home soon. They have been on sponsored 4 year visas, but don't want to risk wasting 6k on a PR application. Supposedly, moving from a 457 to PR isn't simply done and there seems to be a large number of Irish being denied

It's well known that a lot of 457 visas were obtained fraudlantly, the Murphy Pipe & Civil case is a good example. Sure there was even clowns posting on here about self-sponsorship and Sham companies etc to obtain 457s, made up experience etc

What they don't think immigration read these forums?

The old chickens come home to roost, I would'nt bet $6K on it either.

Advertisement