Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much to spend on tyres?

• 29-08-2016 5:46pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 231 ✭✭

Had 4 new tyres fitted to my Mondeo today at a cost of €55 each. I do 25km a year. 15 inch tyres that is. Is it possible I spent too little and should have perhaps went for a more expensive tyre?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

55 euros a tyre sounds suspiciously cheap. But while they might not be Michelins or Goodyears etc, they could still be a good budget brand. What brand are they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

sellasheep wrote: »
    Had 4 new tyres fitted to my Mondeo today at a cost of €55 each. I do 25km a year. 15 inch tyres that is. Is it possible I spent too little and should have perhaps went for a more expensive tyre?

Depends on the make. You could have got a good deal on decent tyres or a bad deal on crap tyres.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

€55 each will be ditchfinders, expect skidding and wheelspins, you would be nearer €80-€100 for a premium brand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 231 ✭✭sellasheep

€55 each will be ditchfinders, expect skidding and wheelspins, you would be nearer €80-€100 for a premium brand.

Oh ffs surely they can't be that bad.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭b_mac2

What brand are they?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Believe that they can. I was driving a transit with austone tyres recently and it was spinning in 3rd gear in the wet. They are lethal, how they are legal for sale is beyond me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Exact same car and the other one got a puncture brought it to Tyre place to patch which they could have done the Tyre had over 4mm left but no it needed a new Tyre.

I was shocked to see what cost €72.86 it was a ditch finder from China. It has changed handling drastically and will not be staying on the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭macker64

Never ever skimp on your tyres or your breaks. Try Tyreland and go for premium brands only

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kings Inns or bust

Been meaning to start a thread on this so as the OP won't tell us the brand - how about good brands being recommended?

Due to various shenanigans I had three different crap brands on the car at one point, no bother but as they're being replaced now I'd prefer not to continue to tempt fate.

• Advertisement

As for the brand - they are "Fullrun" 205/ 55R16 91V

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Exact same car and the other one got a puncture brought it to Tyre place to patch which they could have done the Tyre had over 4mm left but no it needed a new Tyre.

I was shocked to see what cost 72.86 it was a ditch finder from China. It has changed handling drastically and will not be staying on the car.

About 5k miles ago I bought 4 new pirellis, at a cost of 65 per corner. Fitted, balanced and fitted to the car....

16 inch tyres for a Mercedes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Fullrun/HP199.htm

Read those reviews. Scary reading.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭Reputable Rog

I find Aelous tyres very good and get about 25k+ out of them.

pablo128 wrote: »

buy if u wana die
    :eek::eek:

Just after reading a few. Looks like I threw away €225. I'm getting them all replaced in 2 weeks with €80 Bridgestone tyres.

Just after reading a few. Looks like I threw away €225. I'm getting them all replaced in 2 weeks with €80 Bridgestone tyres.

You can probably sell them.

Someone will take them off you, maybe for a trailer.

What make are they?

What make are they?

Fullrun. I had no idea they were a dangerous tyre from what I've read.

Does anybody know what is a good premium brand? What would I expect to pay for a Goodyear or Bridgestone tyres?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Fluffy Cat 88

Got 4 new tyres on my Golf today. "Yokohama" cost €285 with tracking included in the price.

I've been using that brand for years so hoping the quality has stayed the same :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭deandean

Jebus that Tyrereview for Fullrun is the worst I have ever seen. Worse than Triangles, I didn't think that was possible.
    After one nasty and expensive experience I pay about 450 for a set of 4 tyres. Flavour of the month is Michelin Cross climates, they are very suited to Irish conditions.
    Those cheap tyres, braking on a downhill in the rain, you will be cursing the day you bought them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

I've been looking at this a fair bit lately.

Top brands seem to be Michelin, Continental, Pirelli and maybe Yokohama.

Below that the medium range seems to be something like follows: GoodYear, Dunlop, Bridgestone, Firestone, Kumho, Nokian, Hankook, Federal, Uniroyal, Vredstein, Nangkang, Semperit.

Below that, the low end of mid-range tyres. Below that, the "ditchfinders".

Online discussion of tyre choice is almost a religious or political issue - you'll see people slamming a brand that others claim is just below premium level. Someone here is going to disagree that something I've listed above is in the wrong list.

For every single tyre you look up, reviews will include someone talking about how it's bad and you should get something better.

One suggestion I got recently was to get part-worn premiums rather than new low-mid range tyres as they'll be better quality and last longer. And the alternative viewpoint, a friend of mine reckons all part-worn tyres are effectively death-traps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Bought a Mondeo for the woman recently. Came with four 'good' tyres. Didn't pay a whole lot of attention to them at the time as the car felt good and solid and handled well - in the dry. In wet weather they're pure sh1te, spinning away from junctions like you'd expect from a bald tyre. Turns out they're Chinese sh1te, don't ask me the brand now because I never heard of them.

For comparison I've got Goodyears on my 2.5 RWD 5er and it's almost impossible to activate the traction wet or dry. :eek:

Will be replacing the tyres on the Mondeo this week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,520 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Trojan wrote: »
    One suggestion I got recently was to get part-worn premiums rather than new low-mid range tyres as they'll be better quality and last longer. And the alternative viewpoint, a friend of mine reckons all part-worn tyres are effectively death-traps.

So, when your friend buys a used car, he/she immediately replaces the tyres? If not, they are talking through their hoop.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭Fluffy Cat 88

Trojan wrote: »
    I've been looking at this a fair bit lately.

Top brands seem to be Michelin, Continental, Pirelli and maybe Yokohama.

Below that the medium range seems to be something like follows: GoodYear, Dunlop, Bridgestone, Firestone, Kumho, Nokian, Hankook, Federal, Uniroyal, Vredstein, Nangkang, Semperit.

Below that, the low end of mid-range tyres. Below that, the "ditchfinders".

Online discussion of tyre choice is almost a religious or political issue - you'll see people slamming a brand that others claim is just below premium level. Someone here is going to disagree that something I've listed above is in the wrong list.

For every single tyre you look up, reviews will include someone talking about how it's bad and you should get something better.

It's amazing how many people actually buy "ditch finders" or part-worn tyres. I'm no car expert but what is the point of a good car with sh1te tyres? Handling is important to me though, as I drive on sh1te back roads mostly.

"Oh I know a place doing second hand tyres for €25". These people need a good slap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Out of interest what sales routine did the tyre place have or did you say you wanted the cheapest they had?

Fullrun. I had no idea they were a dangerous tyre from what I've read.

Does anybody know what is a good premium brand? What would I expect to pay for a Goodyear or Bridgestone tyres?

A good economy tyre I recommend is Aelous who happen to make Pirelli, they're now more mid range than economy. R15 about €65 a corner tracked and balanced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,520 ✭✭✭✭Esel

It's amazing how many people actually buy "ditch finders" or part-worn tyres. I'm no car expert but what is the point of a good car with sh1te tyres? Handling is important to me though, as I drive on sh1te back roads mostly.

"Oh I know a place doing second hand tyres for €25". These people need a good slap!

See my post above yours.

Not your ornery onager

• Advertisement

Out of interest what sales routine did the tyre place have or did you say you wanted the cheapest they had?

When I entered the premises, a guy came out to the car with me and offered me 4 new tyres despite only needing 3 ( he said the spare was well worn ). He said he would put on 4 new tyres and put the old good tyre with depth on the spare. He asked if I would like to go for the €55 tyres or the €80. He said the €80 would only be recommended for motorway and high milage driving and I would be grand with the €55 set.

Out of interest, how much would a michelin tyre be for the mondeo?

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭cnoc

I always use Bridgestone Turanza tyres and personally never had a problem with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,495 ✭✭✭Sono

I would never penny pinch on tyres ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

OP, 205/55/R16 is probably the most common tyre size used these days. You don't have to spend huge money to get a good well regarded tyre in this size.

Hankook are a good mid range brand @ around €59 each:
    http://www.oponeo.ie/details-tyre/hankook-ventus-prime3-k125-205-55-r16-91-h-mfs#117661628

If you do want to go for a premium brand then you have these Goodyears for €68:
    http://www.oponeo.ie/details-tyre/goodyear-efficientgrip-performance-205-55-r16-91-v#117243147

Now the prices above are online prices for the tyres on their own. You will be talking about another €50/60 to have them balanced and fitted locally. I'd ring around a few bricks and mortar tyre centres and get prices on those tyres from them including fitting. Sometimes it can be hard to find a place that fits tyres you buy from the internet and prices can be similar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,660 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

What grade of lunatic fits these to (and I'll use merely the first two examples) a 325i and a Civic TypeR??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

A gobshíte who bought a car for it's badge and knows nothing more until it's too late.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

sellasheep wrote:
    As for the brand - they are "Fullrun" 205/ 55R16 91V

Fullrun are a low end budget brand. Fine if you totter along but the first bit of wet and you'll be surprised at ten lack of grip. Other tyres in this category are Wanli, Sunny, Sinew, Pneus, Landsail, Autogrip, Triple A & BTC. I'm sure someone will be along soon to add to that list.
    On the other hand, Semperit would be the beginning of the midrange stuff and would be around €80. Dunlop, Bridgestone, firestone, Pirelli, Continental & Michelin would all be more, up to around €130 each for Michelin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,413 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

Esel wrote: »
    So, when your friend buys a used car, he/she immediately replaces the tyres? If not, they are talking through their hoop.

He did actually. He put a set of Kumho ECSTA KU39s on.

But just to summarise the argument for part-worns:
    1. You can get a better quality brand for your money so it's actually safer.
    2. If you hire a rental, or take a bus, taxi or lift from a friend, you're on part-worns.

The argument against part-worns:
    1. You don't know their history or condition.
    2. You're driving on them longer in your own car than you'd be in someone elses vehicle.

Should I just keep the Fullrun tyres for now or change?

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,717 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Buying tyres is a process that you need to be educated on before you even walk into a tyre shop. Most people will have a budget and that'll be that, whereas you can get decent enough brands for the same price as the really bad brands, but who'll tell you the difference when you're face to face with a guy holding a pneumatic air gun?

In my own case last year I bought new Kormoran tyres for I think €60 per corner fitted. Online reviews are generally ok, but do comment on quick wear and road noise at higher speeds. In my case the car will do 2k to 3k miles per year on local runs, so fits the bill once it has good handling in the wet, which it does.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 890 ✭✭✭A Law

Fullrun are a low end budget brand. Fine if you totter along but the first bit of wet and you'll be surprised at ten lack of grip. Other tyres in this category are Wanli, Sunny, Sinew, Pneus, Landsail, Autogrip, Triple A & BTC. I'm sure someone will be along soon to add to that list.
    On the other hand, Semperit would be the beginning of the midrange stuff and would be around €80. Dunlop, Bridgestone, firestone, Pirelli, Continental & Michelin would all be more, up to around €130 each for Michelin.

I bought a car with wanli on it. Road noise was nothing short of ridiculous, let alone the performance in the wet. Had a few scary moments on roundabouts even though I knew I was driving on **** tyres.

Upgraded to hancooks, difference is incredible. How these tyres can be sold is a disgrace. Insurance companies should start asking what tyres are on cars.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,944 ✭✭✭Bigus

Apparently the chinese tyres coming into Ireland are not the same spec as allowed into Germany, so we get the worst of the worst in non main brand tyres.

THread carefully :D

Lads (and possibly lasses) thanks for the posts. I know they weren't aimed directly at me but I've actually a bit of a clue now thanks to the excellent post listing brands and the link to a review site.

Cheers again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I don't care what tyres I have under my feet as long as they are Uniroyal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

I notice very good pricing on online sites recently. I guess the sterling to euro rate has alot to do with it.

mickdw wrote: »
    I notice very good pricing on online sites recently. I guess the sterling to euro rate has alot to do with it.

The issue is getting someone to fit the tyres for you.

I've heard that any online savings are mitigated by garages charging a premium to fit tyres.

They know you can't do it yourself, so either your pay up or are left with 4 useless bits of rubber.

mickdw wrote: »

Is the UK still a major manufacturing centre for tyres?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,466 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Is the UK still a major manufacturing centre for tyres?

No but somehow our prices seem to be based on uk prices. Maybe due to large uk distributors or something.

• Site Banned Posts: 1,765 ✭✭✭Pugzilla

You should actually look at the exact model of tyre and the reviews it got rather than mindlessly buying
    based on brand alone.

• Advertisement
Advertisement