Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much to spend on tyres?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kings Inns or bust

mickdw wrote: »
    No but somehow our prices seem to be based on uk prices. Maybe due to large uk distributors or something.

I always assumed they got screwed when importing but maybe they're trying to hold prices and we're seeing the benefits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,660 ✭✭✭✭Esel

sellasheep wrote: »
    Just after reading a few. Looks like I threw away €225. I'm getting them all replaced in 2 weeks with €80 Bridgestone tyres.

Go back to the place you bought them and complain they sold you a pup. You may not get full value against a set of better tyres, but better than making a total loss.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

eeguy wrote: »
    The issue is getting someone to fit the tyres for you.

I've heard that any online savings are mitigated by garages charging a premium to fit tyres.

They know you can't do it yourself, so either your pay up or are left with 4 useless bits of rubber.
    I've bought a good few times online.
    pay 50 to 60 to fit all four. One local guy wanted 100 so didn't use him or ever use them again when I was buying in ireland.
    I saved 120 on four Vredestein tyres a few years back.

Trojan wrote: »
    He did actually. He put a set of Kumho ECSTA KU39s on.

But just to summarise the argument for part-worns:
    1. You can get a better quality brand for your money so it's actually safer.
    2. If you hire a rental, or take a bus, taxi or lift from a friend, you're on part-worns.

The argument against part-worns:
    1. You don't know their history or condition.
    2. You're driving on them longer in your own car than you'd be in someone elses vehicle.

It goes without saying that if the existing tyres are ditch-finders you replace them (in my case with premium part-worns :) ) after knocking the price of the car down of course.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 502 ✭✭✭nerrad1983

As much as you can afford
    Never skimp on tyres!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

I don't care what tyres I have under my feet as long as they are Uniroyal

If they're Uniroyal Rainsport 3's the I would keep walking.

Absolutely rubbish.
    Trojan wrote: »
    I've been looking at this a fair bit lately.

Top brands seem to be Michelin, Continental, Pirelli and maybe Yokohama.

Below that the medium range seems to be something like follows: GoodYear, Dunlop, Bridgestone, Firestone, Kumho, Nokian, Hankook, Federal, Uniroyal, Vredstein, Nangkang, Semperit.

Dunlop, Bridgestone and Goodyear I would class as premium tyres myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

166man wrote: »

Absolutely rubbish.

Best bang for buck you can get it it's grip you want

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,543 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

A friend of mine who is a very good driver dumped a new set of those off a passat. Couldn't lean on them at all in the wet he said.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I went to a tyre place recently and they tried to sell me Matador tyres, they said they were made by Continental. They rubbished the Toyo Proxes sprort tyres that I had on the car, even though I find them good in both wet and dry conditions. They are quick to wear though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

*Kol* wrote: »
    I went to a tyre place recently and they tried to sell me Matador tyres, they said they were made by Continental. They rubbished the Toyo Proxes sprort tyres that I had on the car, even though I find them good in both wet and dry conditions. They are quick to wear though.

Are they just Continental tyres that didn't make the cut, so they rebadged them to try and flog them off ?

eeguy wrote: »

Are they just Continental tyres that didn't make the cut, so they rebadged them to try and flog them off ?
    I had heard of them before but never bought them. I think they are just a different brand out of Continental.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,660 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

OP, just order x4 of these:

Kumho Ecsta KU31.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Kumho/Ecsta-KU31.htm

x200-ECSTA_KU31.jpg

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m62b0s291p128559/Kumho_Tyres_Car_Kumho_KU31_Ecsta_SPT_Kumho_KU_31_-_205_55_R16_91V_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_C_Wet_Grip%3A_B_NoiseClass%3A_3_Noise%3A_73dB

€200 delivered for an infinitely better tyre, a no brainer. If you value your car and your safety, i'd ditch the Yingyangs now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

166man wrote: »

Absolutely rubbish.

They indeed provide excellent grip at wet, but soft sidewall makes it hard to drive on them.
    Car steering is not as precise as it should be and I get a feeling car is kinda woobly.

I got a set for wife's car, and I won't be buying them again.

On the other hand I have a set of Nankang NS-20 on my other car, and I'm more than happy with them. IMO they provide 80% of grip of premium brands, for less than 50% of the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

Patww79 wrote: »
    I've seen a few that will flat out refuse to fit tyres they haven't sold too. Some of the online places have fitting partners though.

My local place won't stand over tyres they haven't sold themselves. They had an issue before with somebody buying junk tyres online and trying to blame then for fitting them after the car slid into a ditch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭job seeker

. They rubbished the Toyo Proxes sprort tyres that I had on the car, even though I find them good in both wet and dry conditions. They are quick to wear though.

Would, you not kinda expect a good tyre to wear quicker than a cheap tyre? I'd assume, the good/premium tyre would be made with a softer rubber. As apposed to the cheap tyre, been made with a harder rubber, preventing grip in wet and wear?

• Advertisement

job seeker wrote: »
    . They rubbished the Toyo Proxes sprort tyres that I had on the car, even though I find them good in both wet and dry conditions. They are quick to wear though.

Would, you not kinda expect a good tyre to wear quicker than a cheap tyre? I'd assume, the good/premium tyre would be made with a softer rubber. As apposed to the cheap tyre, been made with a harder rubber, preventing grip in wet and wear?

I would expect them to be better in all ways including rate of wear. Though of course there is no perfect tyre

It's about the compound, and ergo the grip.

Try it on cheap (original) tyres on two wheels i.e. a motorcycle - and if you survive the spill come back and explain.

Horses for courses and all that.

We can all (hopefully) adjust for tyre wall stiffness, but the contact patch is where it's at.

Plus, road surface, adhesion, visibility, steering input, all that ship.

tl/dr Cut your cloth to suit your measure.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Sorry for jumping in.,. Recently changed my car and it has Chinese tyres on it, brand called multi trac and marked comfort.. any thoughts on n this brand? Maybe I am not just used to car but grip in wet does not seem great.. focus diesel is my new car.,. Passed not in Jan with these tyres on...if they pas not does that mean the pass a certain standard? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,389 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

No it doesn't mean that at all. Do you ever drive in rain? Or dry? Or carry anyone you wouldn't want to minimise the risk of getting hurt? If so, change them.
    Sorry for jumping in.,. Recently changed my car and it has Chinese tyres on it, brand called multi trac and marked comfort.. any thoughts on n this brand? Maybe I am not just used to car but grip in wet does not seem great.. focus diesel is my new car.,. Passed not in Jan with these tyres on...if they pas not does that mean the pass a certain standard? Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

two thumbs up0 for Kumho too, got a set for my wifes S40 and took it out for a test drive myself in the wet on a nippy autumn afternoon and couldn't spin the wheels at all, and was able to throw it round corners even on a wet leafy back road, very happy with them for the money.

previous set on it (from when we got it that summer) still had plenty of tread on them, but they were useless in the wet, slid around everywhere and lots of unnecessary wheelspins.

learnt lesson: never scrimp on the only bit of your car that connects you to the road. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

Got Michelin all seasons a few months ago. Can't fault them. It was cheaper buying in a b+m shop than online.
    Think I paid 400 for a set.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

When I entered the premises, a guy came out to the car with me and offered me 4 new tyres despite only needing 3 ( he said the spare was well worn ). He said he would put on 4 new tyres and put the old good tyre with depth on the spare. He asked if I would like to go for the €55 tyres or the €80. He said the €80 would only be recommended for motorway and high milage driving and I would be grand with the €55 set.

Out of interest, how much would a michelin tyre be for the mondeo?

And this is the problem with a lot of tyre places. They will sell low quality tyres to customers even though they know the more expensive brands are safer and better because the tyre shop can get a better profit margin on a €40 or 50 euro tyre then on a $80+ Michelin or similar. Any tyre shop that puts profit over safety should be ignored in the future. I’d get rid of those budget tyres asap and put some premiums or high budget tyres on as soon as possible and never return your business to that particular establishment.

Maybe we should establish some rules ‘re buying tyres:
    1. Be very wary when a tyre shop tries to get you to buy a brand of tyre you have never heard of over a well known quality brand.
    2. If the tyre shop says something along the lines of “great tyres, every taxi/trucker/garda/ambulance etc … is having thes fitted” walk away.
    3. Similar to rule 1 above: go online and find out which tyre brands are regarded as premium, quality budget and so on. If the shop offers you a brand not on your list, or one you have never heard of, walk away.

Anyone else add to the above list?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Looking at some of the prices here - makes me slightly jealous of small wheels :O

Paid a good bit over 500 for my last set of 4 F1's

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Mc Love wrote: »
    Looking at some of the prices here - makes me slightly jealous of small wheels :O

Paid a good bit over 500 for my last set of 4 F1's

I just bought 2 x 235/40/18 F1 asymmetric 3's for 250 so that's 500 for a full set - i didn't think it would be possible but it is.

Think mine are 235/45/18 but I'd have to check, but they are slightly more expensive.

Would like to try the Ultrac Vorti next time

Think mine are 235/45/18 but I'd have to check, but they are slightly more expensive.

My only experience with Vredesteins is winter tyres, i thought they were great until i tried Michelin winter tyres. I'd go for either PS3's/4's or F1's - if it's not broke and all that, both are an excellent tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,118 ✭✭✭job seeker

I would expect them to be better in all ways including rate of wear. Though of course there is no perfect tyre

That's true..

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 231 ✭✭sellasheep

I called a mobile tyre fitter this morning who quoted me €125 - €130 per Bridgestone tyre. He was shocked when I told him I forked out €55 euro each on Chinese tyres. Well, I'd expect him to say that. I'm hoping to get a good premium tyre for around €90 - €100.

I called a mobile tyre fitter this morning who quoted me €125 - €130 per Bridgestone tyre. He was shocked when I told him I forked out €55 euro each on Chinese tyres. Well, I'd expect him to say that. I'm hoping to get a good premium tyre for around €90 - €100.

In your size, if you shop around you could easily choose from the best tyres available for that price.

Local garage just quoted me €85 each for Bridgestone Tarunza tyres.

Should I go for them?

• Advertisement

tossy wrote: »
    My only experience with Vredesteins is winter tyres, i thought they were great until i tried Michelin winter tyres. I'd go for either PS3's/4's or F1's - if it's not broke and all that, both are an excellent tyre.

Hadnt known before I bought them but the F1 has a very soft side wall, I literally take it easy enough with them more so because of that. I'll check out those PS4's for my next purchase

Just checked Openeo and those Michelin are expensive enough.

Great tyre, been running them for 2 years, great grip. The fronts are down to about 3.5mm now and grip is giving out, took a 90 degree corner the other day a little too quickly and the car noticeably understeered. Big heavy car though, i'd have them again.
    Local garage just quoted me €85 each for Bridgestone Tarunza tyres.

Should I go for them?

Price doesn't sound bad inc fitting, look them up on:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/

Great tyre, been running them for 2 years, great grip. The fronts are down to about 3.5mm now and grip is giving out, took a 90 degree corner the other day a little too quickly and the car noticeably understeered. Big heavy car though, i'd have them again.

Price doesn't sound bad inc fitting, look them up on:

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/

Another garage has quoted €80 for same tyre so going with them.

I just want to know I'm making a good decision investing in these tyres agree getting burnt with the other ones.

People, including me, will suggest tyres left right and centre. You have to bear in mind that peoples experiences will all be different, even with the exact same tyre, depending on the car, how its driven, the roads in your area, peoples perception of wear and "grip" etc.

But Tyre Reviews gives you a good overall picture and is worth a good read.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Bridgestone/

The Tarunza tyre has lots of different variants so you'd want to find out what the exact model is.
    Or ask them to price the tyre I linked on the previous page, which most on here will agree is a great choice.

http://www.camskill.co.uk/m62b0s291p128559/Kumho_Tyres_Car_Kumho_KU31_Ecsta_SPT_Kumho_KU_31_-_205_55_R16_91V_TL_Fuel_Eff_%3A_C_Wet_Grip%3A_B_NoiseClass%3A_3_Noise%3A_73dB

If it's the same price as the Bridgestone, i'd be going for the Kumho.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,338 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Put the other ones up on DD, I'm sure there will be plenty out there who only care that their tyres are round and pass the NCT.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

The focus on price is just holding you back OP.
    Check for good brands first, then go for for what type you find best value.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭hooch-85

People, including me, will suggest tyres left right and centre. You have to bear in mind that peoples experiences will all be different, even with the exact same tyre, depending on the car, how its driven, the roads in your area, peoples perception of wear and "grip" etc.

But Tyre Reviews gives you a good overall picture and is worth a good read.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Tyre/Bridgestone/

The Tarunza tyre has lots of different variants so you'd want to find out what the exact model is.
    Or ask them to price the tyre I linked on the previous page, which most on here will agree is a great choice.

If it's the same price as the Bridgestone, i'd be going for the Kumho.

I replaced the factory Bridgestone RE050's on the front of my car with Kumho Ecsta KU39 and find them a better tyre overall, also worked out cheaper than the Bridgestones supplied and fitted locally. Can't fault them at all.

Had the KU39s myself on my last car, a great tyre.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Had the KU39s myself on my last car, a great tyre.

I have 4 on my car. Great tyres. And I usually put a brand name on.

• Advertisement

Hadnt known before I bought them but the F1 has a very soft side wall, I literally take it easy enough with them more so because of that. I'll check out those PS4's for my next purchase

Just checked Openeo and those Michelin are expensive enough.

I've been using F1's pretty much all the time for 12 years never had any issues apart from a puncture i got a few week ago but i hit a stone that would tear a lump out of any tyre - i never drive conscious of my sidewalls :D

I got the last set from tyreleader they were the best price by far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,229 ✭✭✭✭josip

Pugzilla wrote: »
    You should actually look at the exact model of tyre and the reviews it got rather than mindlessly buying
    based on brand alone.

This.
    On these tyre threads the comments usually are like
    1. I know nothing about tyres but a mate of mine who does 300,000km a year swears by Continentals.
    2. The last car I had had Dunlops and the new one has Uniroyals; hence all Uniroyals are better than all Dunlops.
    3. The Michelin Pilot are a great tyre but not much good on the road from Ballieborough to Shercock in February.
    4. I have Pirelllis on the Maserati and they're way better than the Triangles I bought the mother-in-law for her runabout.
    The most expensive tyres for each premium brand seem to be 2-3 times more expensive than the cheapest tyre for that brand, yet tyre people always seem to recommend a brand rather than brand + model.

Genuine question: Are every model of Pirelli/Goodyear/Michelin/etc ok to buy?

Have they ever made a lemon model of tyre?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

The reviews of the OPs tyres are amazing, got a good giggle out of them. (yes, yes this a serious business I know, but...)
    they seem to be wearing fairly well (I suspect as they're made from something much harder and less grippy than rubber).
    Painting the edges of your rims black and leaving them off will do you a favour.
    eventually got into a car accident and wrapped the car around a lamp post and and ended up in hospital
    sounds a lot like a jet taking off as you progress from 20mph upward
    you'd be safer bouncing down the road on a space hopper or juggling chainsaws on a unicycle.
    Should be sold as black dougnuts of death.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭newcar2016

Bought a car from a dealer and when I pointed out three tyres with hardly any thread he said he would replace them with new ones as part of the deal. I didn't think too much about it at the time but I suppose he wouldn't have been bothered putting good tyres on the car.

He put three Opals FH666 on. I can't find any reviews on the tyrereviews.co.uk website.

Anybody have any information on these tyres?

Hurray! I've just had all 4 tyres replaced with a Bridgestone Tarunza set. The car feels much better and my mind is at ease!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,478 ✭✭✭eeguy

Hurray! I've just had all 4 tyres replaced with a Bridgestone Tarunza set. The car feels much better and my mind is at ease!

Really?

Sure all that talk was all bullsh*t.

JOKE!

;););) :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sono

What did ya do with the ones you bought last week?

Sono wrote: »
    What did ya do with the ones you bought last week?

I've have them placed at the end of my garage in a pile. I may put them up on done deal but not sure how much I'll get. Plus I don't think I want to sell rubbish tyres to an unsuspecting customer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭Sono

I think you made the right decision to be honest, budget tyres are just not worth it and I can't for the life of me understand anyone putting on budget tyres for the sake of maybe €30/40 extra per tyre, that extra bit could be the difference in saving your life in an accident or not. I might sound extreme by saying that but honestly budget tyres are just too dodgey IMO.

Well done, you're one of view that would actually bite the bullet and swallow the cost of that Chinese sh1te. I remember 10 years ago I knew zero about tyres and would have allowed anything to be installed, not hard to see why there's so much crap out there; if you're not into cars, talking about tyres is like watching paint dry.

I actually look forward to trying new top-end tyres now. :) Getting them fitted is a different story...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭power pants

45e per corner

Zetex , amazing quality. Drive all the time in all sorts of surfaces and weather and always reliable

similar to people who buy apple over huwei

• Advertisement
Advertisement