Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

How much to spend on tyres?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,575 ✭✭✭166man

Lissavane wrote: »
    I've just been quoted €340 for 4 x Firestone TZ300 or Semperit Speed Life, including allignment/tracking. This is for an 08 Avensis petrol. I think the price is not unreasonable for tyres off the shelf.

The garage recommends the Firestone but I don't see many reviews for them. The Semperit seems to get good reviews on the German sites.

I'd appreciate any advice, please.

I'd go for the Firestone's absolutely.

Esel wrote: »
    Tyreland do three 'grades' afaik. I got 4 Grade A a couple of years ago with 7mm tread. 2 Pirelli PZero 2 Michelin Energy Saver 205/55/16 for €190 balanced and fitted.

You can get 4 x Pirelli C7 (their new tyre) in 205/55/16 these days for €260 fitted. For the sake of €70 I can't understand why anyone would go with part worn....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,685 ✭✭✭✭wonski

166man wrote: »
    I'd go for the Firestone's absolutely.

You can get 4 x Pirelli C7 (their new tyre) in 205/55/16 these days for €260 fitted. For the sake of €70 I can't understand why anyone would go with part worn....

Would you mind saying where, please?

Pm would do if you prefer. I am about to buy and 260 sounds like a bargain :) Thanks.

Sorry for OT.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 17,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭Henry Ford III

macker64 wrote:
    Never ever skimp on your tyres or your breaks. Try Tyreland and go for premium brands only

Are you suggesting we go on expensive holidays?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

wonski wrote: »
    Would you mind saying where, please?

Pm would do if you prefer. I am about to buy and 260 sounds like a bargain :) Thanks.

Sorry for OT.

I have a set of these on my Merc, that exact size for the exact price quoted. Fitted to the car and all. 7k miles in and I'm very happy with them

That was from McManus, Dundalk

I was hoping you'd come along the fanciest of pigeons!

• Advertisement

Dundalk? Well I will make few phone calls locally then :) Thanks anyway.

As for C7 was it a typo or did you mean this fancy cincurato p7? I couldn't find any info on c7 ?

Thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,865 ✭✭✭fancy pigeon

Dundalk? Well I will make few phone calls locally then :) Thanks anyway.

As for C7 was it a typo or did you mean this fancy cincurato p7? I couldn't find any info on c7 ?

Thanks.

Yep, Cinturato P7. Used on all sorts of roads and conditions, very happy with the performance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 805 ✭✭✭Roycropper63

Just an update, had 2 firestone tz300a fitted to the front of my focus and some difference in the rain last weekend,, could just be in my head!!!!!!

I always look for positives after spending money on a car.

Even after basic service I feel the car is driving better.

Could be in your head, but could be something to do with new tires being better:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

Got a puncture recently, decided I'd get 2 new tyres - don't want mismatched tyres.

Relevant to this story is that I'm female, late 20s but look early 20s and drive a quite old rather small car.

I was a bit flustered as I was trying to get out to a meeting with a client and wasn't going to make it, was swamped with work etc. Also the end of the month and I was so skint it wasn't funny, otherwise the whole set would be replaced. Went into tyre place, guy said he'd have it done that afternoon. Grand.

Asked what he was going to put on, said they'd be €55 each.
    "Yeah, but what type?"
    "Oh they're the budget tyres, great for small cars".
    "Em no thanks, something at least B rated for wet grip"
    "Oh right, okay"

Got 2 new Bridgestones for €70 each fitted. B rated for grip, E for fuel economy, and good for noise (good as there's very little sound deadening in the car). For the sake of €15 a tyre the guy would have had me in a ditch.

I'll admit, what I got aren't premium world's best tyres but I value my life at more than €60 for a whole set of tyres, why on earth would anyone not? Even when skint it isn't a whole lot extra relative to the cost of ditchfinders.

• Advertisement

Just off the phone after talking to local tyre place.

I don't want budget :eek: so he needs to ring his supplier and said he will call me back.

You can't blame people if these places don't even try to sell more expensive, better tires. They only have Ling Longs or whatever on their shelves apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 640 ✭✭✭Turtle_

Actually, I've been pondering this and I find it baffling that anyone can sell something inherently unsafe to the public without so much as a warning.

Maybe this is something that the RSA should be addressing. C rated wet performance seems to be distinctly average. Anything lower then must be poor, right? So why not introduce a requirement that if a tyre fitter is going to put anything lower than C rated for wet grip tyres on a car, the customer must sign a waiver, in advance of fitting, stating clearly (in no smaller font than 14pt times new roman) "I the undersigned understand that I am accepting tyres that have a poor, or very poor, performance in wet conditions. I understand that poor wet grip can contribute to, and/or increase the severity of road traffic accidents. I understand that poor wet grip performance leads to increased stopping distances beyond that of tyres with average or above average wet performance". The stickers from the tyres should also have to be provided to the customer when accepting the car back.

It seems fundamentally wrong that someone can have their car made dangerous completely unbeknownst to them. It's unreasonable to expect people to have technical knowledge.

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭declan123

Yep, Cinturato P7. Used on all sorts of roads and conditions, very happy with the performance

Do you mind me asking what the wear rate is like on the P7's. I've read that they don't last very long but I know it all depends on driving conditions, etc.

Turtle_ wrote: »
    Actually, I've been pondering this and I find it baffling that anyone can sell something inherently unsafe to the public without so much as a warning.

Maybe this is something that the RSA should be addressing. C rated wet performance seems to be distinctly average. Anything lower then must be poor, right? So why not introduce a requirement that if a tyre fitter is going to put anything lower than C rated for wet grip tyres on a car, the customer must sign a waiver, in advance of fitting, stating clearly (in no smaller font than 14pt times new roman) "I the undersigned understand that I am accepting tyres that have a poor, or very poor, performance in wet conditions. I understand that poor wet grip can contribute to, and/or increase the severity of road traffic accidents. I understand that poor wet grip performance leads to increased stopping distances beyond that of tyres with average or above average wet performance". The stickers from the tyres should also have to be provided to the customer when accepting the car back.

It seems fundamentally wrong that someone can have their car made dangerous completely unbeknownst to them. It's unreasonable to expect people to have technical knowledge.

It's not that dangerous tbh.

Don't get to strong on rating labels either. This is a new thing, but A rated tires are not necessarily better than B rated tires.

They just called me back with two options. 87 per corner for Hankooks and 105 per corner for Michelins.

Now you know why most people go for budget ones. The search continues :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,176 ✭✭✭✭josip

Getting the car serviced in the main dealer next week and I asked about the cost of 2 new tyres for the front.
    "€55 each including fitting"
    I waited in case there was more to come, but nowt.
    So I asked how much for a better tyre?
    "Well there are Bridgestones for €96."
    I asked what particular type of Bridgestones.
    "Eh, they're eh,... I've no idea."

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 231 ✭✭sellasheep

Just an update, had 2 firestone tz300a fitted to the front of my focus and some difference in the rain last weekend,, could just be in my head!!!!!!

In a good or bad way like?

It's not that dangerous tbh.

Don't get to strong on rating labels either. This is a new thing, but A rated tires are not necessarily better than B rated tires.

They just called me back with two options. 87 per corner for Hankooks and 105 per corner for Michelins.

Now you know why most people go for budget ones. The search continues :)

The cheapest I could find was in Naas for 320 in total, but I know the place and the guy could quote me straight away including the name of the tire which is good. He offered me few brands at different price points so at least I had a choice.

I hope those Pirellis are worth this.

It is €60 more than what some of you guys paid, but needs to be done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Just off the phone after talking to local tyre place.

I don't want budget :eek: so he needs to ring his supplier and said he will call me back.

You can't blame people if these places don't even try to sell more expensive, better tires. They only have Ling Longs or whatever on their shelves apparently.
    Yet the premises of most of these places are often adorned with massive advertising logos from all the main, premium brands such as Michelin, Dunlop, Bridgestone etc. I doubt they sell very many of those, if any.

Alun wrote: »
    Yet the premises of most of these places are often adorned with massive advertising logos from all the main, premium brands such as Michelin, Dunlop, Bridgestone etc. I doubt they sell very many of those, if any.

They don't. I will have to wait until Tuesday to get those Pirellis fitted.

4pm Monday was the earliest.

Spending more money means you have to wait in a queue behind Linglong customers:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,517 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

The margins must be much larger per tyre on the Chinese tyres, otherwise they would be pushing the premium brands and saying the cheaper ones were ditchfinders and telling you if you value your life etc get the premium brand.

• Advertisement

The margins must be much larger per tyre on the Chinese tyres, otherwise they would be pushing the premium brands and saying the cheaper ones were ditchfinders and telling you if you value your life etc get the premium brand.

Must be because they all were ready to put 4 on @ 50 a corner on the spot.

How much are those tires (wholesale) if they can fit them at that price. 20-25 euro ???

M

Must be because they all were ready to put 4 on @ 50 a corner on the spot.

How much are those tires (wholesale) if they can fit them at that price. 20-25 euro ???

Yes in pretty much any other business in the country when you go in they try to upsell you to the premium more expensive brand, if I went in to Harvey Norman they won't push a non brand Chinese tablet on me over a premium brand, especially if I am looking for advice on what to buy.

Yes in pretty much any other business in the country when you go in they try to upsell you to the premium more expensive brand, if I went in to Harvey Norman they won't push a non brand Chinese tablet on me over a premium brand, especially if I am looking for advice on what to buy.

I rang my local place as I just got a leaflet through the door with special offer on 205/55/16 @49.99 per corner.

I thought that they could do more "premium" brand @60-70. Not a chance.

It is nice to have all those Michellin/Pirelli/Bridgestone balloons flying around the place making the customers feel comfortable that they are in good hands of professionals.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,404 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Had to get 2 rear Tyres as I was heading to France and they looked nearly fit for the bin.

Unfortunately due to the weird Tyre size my Mazda 6 costs me around about €135 Per Tyre for mid-range stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Vicxas wrote: »
    Had to get 2 rear Tyres as I was heading to France and they looked nearly fit for the bin.

Unfortunately due to the weird Tyre size my Mazda 6 costs me around about €135 Per Tyre for mid-range stuff.

Whats the size ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,238 ✭✭✭digiman

I just spent €290/tyre for Bridgestone run flat tyres, they were the same as what was on my car from new and lasted 50k km. They still had 3mm on them when I changed them so they are very good wearing and always have felt very safe in them.

Agree with the other posters, skimping on tyres is just not worth it. That extra stopping distance could save yours or someone else life. Besides your life, you could save a lot more in insurance costs and damage, being off the road etc if you were to be involved in an accident.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

M

Patww79 wrote: »

Yes one would be good. As a rule of thumb if you were to go with the same brand and model that was on the car from new that should give good performance, there may be better but overall they should have good all round performance. If your unsure what was on the car from new if the car has a full size spare wheel the tyre on that should be as per what was originally on the car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 242 ✭✭mcbobbyb

Vicxas wrote:

Vicxas wrote:

Me too. Mazda 6 Tires were 225/45/18 in sure and hankook Venus primes were nearly 180 each.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭DakarVert

How do people choose tyres?

Go by the label on it rating for fuel and wet grip? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,483 ✭✭✭greasepalm

go with a known well named brand as i went with firestone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Armchair Andy

Patww79 wrote:

I've 225 18 40 Michelin Pilot Supersports on an Accord think they're a great all rounder. Brilliant in the wet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,819 ✭✭✭micks_address

I just had a set of Michelin cross climates fitted on my civic

225/45 R17

530 fitted in discount tyres blanchardstown..

Happy so far...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 971 ✭✭✭Senecio

Saw a nice Jaguar XF today on a set of
    Linglongs.

Some people don't deserve nice cars.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Fur coat, no knickers approach.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Don't forget that the Wet rating is for braking in the wet rather than a general indication of wet grip or wet cornering grip.

I read a lot of feedback on tyres with people saying that they are experiencing wheel spin in high gears etc. If they didn't press their big hoofs on the accelerator so much they wouldn't have that problem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

*Kol* wrote: »
    Don't forget that the Wet rating is for braking in the wet rather than a general indication of wet grip or wet cornering grip.

I read a lot of feedback on tyres with people saying that they are experiencing wheel spin in high gears etc. If they didn't press their big hoofs on the accelerator so much they wouldn't have that problem.
    All of these ratings are self-assessed by the manufacturer too, so especially for Linglongs etc. I'd take them with a very large pinch of salt, or maybe MSG.

Another issue with people complaining of wheelspin might be the gung-ho approach many here appear to have towards tyre pressures. There's a tyre pressure sticker on cars for a reason folks, use them.

The cheapest I could find was in Naas for 320 in total, but I know the place and the guy could quote me straight away including the name of the tire which is good. He offered me few brands at different price points so at least I had a choice.

I hope those Pirellis are worth this.

It is €60 more than what some of you guys paid, but needs to be done.

I had those fitted this afternoon and my boss let me collect the car during the (working) day. One reason I went with this crowd was that they did decent job last time and didn't put the weights outside.

They did the opposite this time, but I will give them a benefit of doubt and call them tomorrow to ask why. Should have asked today, but as another person from work was giving me a lift I could not spend any more time there.

I can't comment on the tires yet, but road noise is definitely down. To early for wear or even wet braking/handling fortunately :)

• Registered Users Posts: 404 ✭✭ml100

Doesn't the balancing machine indicate which side of the wheel that weights have to be added to

• Advertisement

ml100 wrote: »
    Doesn't the balancing machine indicate which side of the wheel that weights have to be added to

I don't think so.

I think it's down to laziness in this case.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭mikeecho

ml100 wrote: »

I though that the machine does.

Isn't there arrows that point left/right.

Or am I mistaken

bazz26 wrote: »
    Fur coat, no knickers approach.

Much like buying a €40/€50k BMW/Mercedes/Audi and going for the 2.0 diesel engine...? :pac:

Much like buying a €40/€50k BMW/Mercedes/Audi and going for the 2.0 diesel engine...? :pac:

Not really in my view. Most of these offer around 190bhp/200bhp, 0 to 60 in under 8 seconds while still returning a respectable 45mpg these days so hardly embarrassing. Proper tyres are still upwards of €200 a corner though irrespective of what's under the bonnet.

Nice try though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,592 ✭✭✭tossy

Or an Alfa with a diesel engine....

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,147 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Well, my dads Passat had its tyres and wheels robbed the other day, so might be good deal going somewhere around Ireland! :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,176 ✭✭✭sundodger5

mikeecho wrote: »
    I though that the machine does.

Isn't there arrows that point left/right.

Or am I mistaken

Depends how you set the machine up to do the balancing. The arrows indicate when the point to add the weight is at 12 o'clock position

bazz26 wrote: »
    Not really in my view. Most of these offer around 190bhp/200bhp, 0 to 60 in under 8 seconds while still returning a respectable 45mpg these days so hardly embarrassing. Proper tyres are still upwards of €200 a corner though irrespective of what's under the bonnet.

Nice try though.

Of course you'd disagree, you bought one! They can have all the figures they want to be honest with you but at the end of the day it is a 4 cylinder diesel engine in a ''prestigious car'' which is the very definition of the fur coat no knickers approach. I said nothing of the car's being embarrassing. The 6 cylinder diesel suits the car much much better (and even then it's still a tractor) I drove enough of them. :)

tossy wrote: »
    Or an Alfa with a diesel engine....

Alfa don't elude to being a prestigious car brand though? And with an Alfa the last few years there has been little no choice in the petrol range.. unlike say BMW/Audi/Mercedes. :)

Of course you'd disagree, you bought one! They can have all the figures they want to be honest with you but at the end of the day it is a 4 cylinder diesel engine in a ''prestigious car'' which is the very definition of the fur coat no knickers approach. I said nothing of the car's being embarrassing. The 6 cylinder diesel suits the car much much better (and even then it's still a tractor) I drove enough of them. :)

My fur coat no knickers comment was within the context of this thread (excuse the pun) about cheap tyres. A proper tyre for my " prestigious car" as you put it, still costs around €200 irrespective of whether it has 4, 6 or 8 cylinders. Yes I'm sure I could find some ditchfinders for €80 or €90 but I knew proper tyres for the car cost money. Again this is all within the context of the thread.

• Advertisement
Advertisement