Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Clawback on mortgage cash back offers ?

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 PriceWatch

I took out BOI mortgage about 2 years ago, 3.45% 3 year fixed at the time. Asked a couple of months ago if I could switch to 3% rate, switched no problem, no penalty and got letter in the post confirming the no claw back regulations.

I switched to a 1 year fixed so I wonder at the end of the 12 months will they offer me 2% cashback to stay if I threaten to go elsewhere???

• Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Resurrecting an old but informative thread:
    Did anyone who was going through the process of repaying early or switching get clarity on whether BoI would claw back the 2% cashback?

I saw several people say they couldn't or wouldn't but I'm not sure if anyone tested the theory in practice.

ive tested it with both BOI and EBS

there is no clawback

• Registered Users Posts: 68,798 ✭✭✭✭L1011

These offers are keeping rates higher to fund them. You pay for them in the end, as does everyone else on an SVR or fixing now who isn't getting them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,217 ✭✭✭digiman

Cyrus wrote: »
    ive tested it with both BOI and EBS

there is no clawback

Have you tried to go back to either of them yet? Wonder will they give the cashback for a 2nd time?

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Q&A

digiman wrote: »
    Have you tried to go back to either of them yet? Wonder will they give the cashback for a 2nd time?

It's in EBS terms you only get it on the same property once. Not sure about BOI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,059 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

I would very much doubt it

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kk2014

I paid off my BOI mortgage in February that I took out in Dec 2015 with the 2% deal - no claw back and no penalty for leaving the fixed rate early earlier - I was very pleasantly surprised!

Thanks KK, that's great to hear. And congrats!

• Registered Users Posts: 46 kk2014

Thanks KK, that's great to hear. And congrats!

Thanks - unfortunately we didn't have a big windfall and were just moving house and BOI wouldn't approve us for a smaller mortgage than we were paying at the time so we had to pay it off and move to AIB. I had factored paying back the money to them into our costs but instead it went towards redecorating the new house.

Good luck!

• Registered Users Posts: 966 ✭✭✭radharc

Yes BOI did exactly that for us.

• Advertisement

I asked BoI on Boards if they would apply clawback to a mortgage repaid after four years instead of five. They said it would be considered on a case-by-case basis and to contact them directly if this situation arises.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 244 ✭✭Dublingirl80

Can I ask did you sign up before that new rule in 2016 and also, when do you find out if they'
    Will or will not charge the claw back? In process of switching and dont want to get landed with a sudden bill of clawback when all my legal work is done as ill just be down money

• Registered Users Posts: 10,477 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

Can I ask did you sign up before that new rule in 2016 and also, when do you find out if they'
    Will or will not charge the claw back? In process of switching and dont want to get landed with a sudden bill of clawback when all my legal work is done as ill just be down money

There is no clawback. It’s against eu competition laws. Contact ccpc (consumer body) if you want confirmation.
    I moved from aib (ltv greater than 90%, wouldn’t let us go on a lower ltv) to ebs, (got cash back offer) paid one repayment, and moved back to aib on ltv less than 50%.
    Pure madness to be honest, no wonder our banks can’t manage money!

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭KingCong

I asked BoI on Boards if they would apply clawback to a mortgage repaid after four years instead of five. They said it would be considered on a case-by-case basis and to contact them directly if this situation arises.

I've switched away from EBS, PTSB and BOI all within the first year of the respective mortgages, no clawback was applied for any of them, collected 2% each time. Make the most of these cashback offers while they last!

What if you weren't switching (where there's an obvious competition issue) and are just finishing up early?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,477 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

What if you weren't switching (where there's an obvious competition issue) and are just finishing up early?

The way I look at that is it doesn’t matter if your switching or finishing up early as legally they can’t enforce a clawback if you switched to them.
    They can only charge you a breakage fee or finishing up early fee if you are on a fixed rate mortgage.
    But again I’d go to ccpc for clarification.

Advertisement