Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't find receipt, help!

Options
  • 29-08-2016 6:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭

I bought an appliance about two years ago and it would still be covered by a five year warranty which I now need to make use of but cannot find my receipt. Is there anything I can do? I'd be very grateful for any advice!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,076 ✭✭✭gman2k

You need proof of purchase, not necessarily a receipt.
    So if you have a bank statement showing the purchase, that will suffice from a legal standpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,633 ✭✭✭✭Widdershins

gman2k wrote: »
    You need proof of purchase, not necessarily a receipt.
    So if you have a bank statement showing the purchase, that will suffice from a legal standpoint.

Thanks. Unfortunately, I paid with cash.

Should the vendor have a record, because it was ordered in

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Should the vendor have a record, because it was ordered in
    Possibly. I always pay with CC for this reason. I also take photos of receipts on my phone as many can degrade over time. Many are thermally printed receipts these days and can fade away over time.

The five year warranty may mean its with the manufacturer rather than the shop (not sure on that before people jump on me). If the item has a serial number the manufacturer should be able to confirm its manufacture date. So unless it was in storage for years before you bought it it could be OK.

e.g. if it was a PS4 there should be no trouble as it was not made 5 years ago.

What is the item, manufacturer and shop you got it in, someone might have had dealings with either.

rubadub wrote: »
    Possibly. I always pay with CC for this reason. I also take photos of receipts on my phone as many can degrade over time. Many are thermally printed receipts these days and can fade away over time.

The five year warranty may mean its with the manufacturer rather than the shop (not sure on that before people jump on me). If the item has a serial number the manufacturer should be able to confirm its manufacture date. So unless it was in storage for years before you bought it it could be OK.

e.g. if it was a PS4 there should be no trouble as it was not made 5 years ago.

What is the item, manufacturer and shop you got it in, someone might have had dealings with either.

Thanks a million for your input.
    Yes, manufacturer's warranty. It's supposed to begin when you register. I'll look for serial number.
    I'm going to be cautious and not name anyone yet, in the hope that either shop or manufacturer will help with this..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,028 ✭✭✭✭L1011

The manufacturer should know if its under 5 years old to begin with from the s/n - registration is mostly important for stuff that has hung around for a long time before sale. Hopefully it wasn't hanging around and the manufacturer doesn't ask for proof of purchase.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Thanks a million for your input.
    Yes, manufacturer's warranty. It's supposed to begin when you register. I'll look for serial number.
    I'm going to be cautious and not name anyone yet, in the hope that either shop or manufacturer will help with this..

If you registered then you don't need a receipt.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

If you registered then you don't need a receipt.
    Yeah, that's generally the consensus alright. Kinda defeats the purpose, if they need a receipt after the fact.

In any case, the shop should (in theory) be able to reprint a receipt if you've an idea of date, or if they took your name as a reference, etc. Have model number to hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Did the retailer take any details at the time. I was able to get an appliance sorted under warranty with power city because they asked for a phone number when I bought and could look it up.

It was nearly 2 years ago and I recall the registration form alright but not 100% sure if it was sent off. I'm 99% sure! No serial number or labels anywhere on it.
    The shop definitely had at least my phone number because they ordered it in for me but after speaking briefly on phone I got the impression they want me to drop it. Just waiting to hear from manufacturer. They also delivered it so they must have had my address at that time,but did not fit it (which they are saying means it's not their problem even though it's not a problem caused by the fitting) If I sent the registration off, it will be ok, I guess!

• Advertisement

Thanks very much to all who gave their time to respond here!

Update: I found other unhappy customers, with a similar problem, all of them are being ignored completely,too.

Should I/ can I look at going down the route of the small claims court?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Update: I found other unhappy customers, with a similar problem, all of them are being ignored completely,too.

Should I/ can I look at going down the route of the small claims court?

Not much good without proof of purchase either. You claim from the seller, so you have to be able to prove you bought it from them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kings Inns or bust

whiterebel wrote: »
    Not much good without proof of purchase either. You claim from the seller, so you have to be able to prove you bought it from them.

A sworn statement may well be enough for the registrar.

A sworn statement may well be enough for the registrar.

I had two other people with me when it was bought and another friend present when the shop's delivery van dropped it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 631 ✭✭✭Kings Inns or bust

I had two other people with me when it was bought and another friend present when the shop's delivery van dropped it off.

I was referring to you. There is no reason why simply stating that you purchased it somewhere is not proof enough, given the right circumstances. Serious crimes are prosecuted every day in Ireland with the exact same evidence and a higher burden of proof.

No harm in stating that you had a friend present on the claim though if they're willing to pitch up to see the registrar though (if required).

I was referring to you. There is no reason why simply stating that you purchased it somewhere is not proof enough, given the right circumstances. Serious crimes are prosecuted every day in Ireland with the exact same evidence and a higher burden of proof.

No harm in stating that you had a friend present on the claim though if they're willing to pitch up to see the registrar though (if required).

That's reassuring, thank you very much.

• Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 19,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭byte
    byte

I might have overlooked, but what brand/model is the appliance?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

We're did you buy from?
    If power City, I find them good at emailing out receipts from years past.

Advertisement