Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iPhone 6 touch disease

Options
  • 29-08-2016 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭

Has any Irish user been affected with this yet? My screen died over the weekend. Lines running vertically through the screen. It was having a few issues over the past 2 weeks like unresponsive on the top left and was more distinct yesterday before it died. Lucky I had AppleCare which was to run out in Oct. I purchased the 6 the first week it came out. I looked after the phone very well and never had any big drops and was sitting on the table when it died. Contacted apple yesterday and a new phone on the way.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/08/24/iphone-6-and-6-plus-phones-infected-with-touch-disease-that-make/

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,495 ✭✭✭✭guil

Thankfully my 6 is fine. Read about it last week on redmond pie but from that it only mentioned a problem in America.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

I'm on my 4th 6+ (apple care replacements due to various issues) and a few of them have had unresponsive screens. You'll be using it when suddenly the screen doesn't respond and had to turn it off/on again for the screen to respond. But not sure that's connected to the same "touch disease"...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭davehey79

I've had this issue and up until these articles came out apple would not acknowledge the issue but today changed their stance and issued me an exception so are taking back the ohone for repair/replace !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

BigMoose wrote: »
    I'm on my 4th 6+ (apple care replacements due to various issues) and a few of them have had unresponsive screens. You'll be using it when suddenly the screen doesn't respond and had to turn it off/on again for the screen to respond. But not sure that's connected to the same "touch disease"...

Just after having to send back the replacement I got 10 days ago due the an unresponsive screen. The screen either locks up or will select and open stuff on its own. Became completely unusable. Apple care didn't even ask what the issue was, just arranged for another replacement to be shipped out.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,441 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Just after having to send back the replacement I got 10 days ago due the an unresponsive screen. The screen either locks up or will select and open stuff on its own. Became completely unusable. Apple care didn't even ask what the issue was, just arranged for another replacement to be shipped out.

Same issue on mine. Sending it back next week

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

Same here, only have the phone 2 months. But no Apple care. Do you think I might /should get a new replacement phone.?

glossy wrote: »
    Same here, only have the phone 2 months. But no Apple care. Do you think I might /should get a new replacement phone.?

if its within warranty you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭glossy

Blazer wrote: »
    if its within warranty you should be fine.

Thank you, yes it's still well under warranty, only had the a couple of months.

glossy wrote: »
    Thank you, yes it's still well under warranty, only had the a couple of months.

No issue then. Apple will collect the phone off you and have a replacement 3-5 days .

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭BigMoose

My 4th device is now suffering from an unresponsive screen, but to be honest it's less annoying than some of the other issues I've had on the devices they've sent out. Unusable phone jack, constant random reboots etc. Makes me wonder if they actually fix the problem reported before sending on to the next care case.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭dhaughton99

My 3rd replacement device is after going the same way as the others. Have it 5 weeks now. Another call to apple and another replacement. One thing that I do notice, is that there is a small stain showing on the top left part of the screen. It's exactly the same stain that showed on the last one just before the touch function stopped working.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Heffoman

I've had the iphone touch disease for about two months now.

Sadly my phone is out of warranty and its had its screen replace by a third party so the chances of apple replacing it are slim at the very best.

The condition has gradually got worse. One of the fixes was to slightly bend it near the top so the sensors come back in touch with the screen but that is only an extremely short term solution and bending the phone back and forward continuously is not good for its health.

• Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭Mlo

I've had this for about the last month or so. The phone is almost 2 years old (bought late December) it has never been dropped (in fact the phone has spent it's entire life in a case and screen protector and is pristine). I find that if I gently press the edges of the phone near the top it will go away.

Is Apple replacing phones with this defect. I bought mine from Vodafone so how do I go about getting a replacement/ repair?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,495 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Mlo wrote: »
    I've had this for about the last month or so. The phone is almost 2 years old (bought late December) it has never been dropped (in fact the phone has spent it's entire life in a case and screen protector and is pristine). I find that if I gently press the edges of the phone near the top it will go away.

Is Apple replacing phones with this defect. I bought mine from Vodafone so how do I go about getting a replacement/ repair?

I see they've announced a repair program today for 149 dollars. Which is a load of ****e as it clearly a design flaw with the phone.

I've seen the $149 repair program articles, they seemed to imply that the problem was being handled differently in Europe i.e. that it might be under 2 year warranty.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

I've seen the $149 repair program articles, they seemed to imply that the problem was being handled differently in Europe i.e. that it might be under 2 year warranty.

My iPhone developed something like this,a replacement phone,9 months old.
    Took it to a reatailer who said I had a case through EU consumer law,just had to go through network provider , meteor (they didn't wanna know) eventually got it sorted going through a contact in apple!
    Sold the replacement,got a 7.

.....had a feeling it was board related as phone began to heat up with the problem,think the BRAIN needed 'reballing' like a previous SONY laptop!

SandyXXX, Did you have to pay for the replacement? I asked Vodafone whether my phone was covered, but the answer was vague at best.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jimboroony

Brought my 25 month old Iphone into a 3 Store and invoked a claim under Irish consumer law. It had a flickering screen which slowly got worse until completely unresponsive.. 6 plus. Very helpful, boxed it up and sent it for repair/replacement. That was last Monday. We'll see what happens. Apple advised to take this route btw.

Interesting. I read through the warranty stuff on the Apple website and it does seem to suggest that Irish consumer law covers 6 years and that the Apple 1 year warranty is offered in addition to statutory cover. I just found it a little unclear as to what consumer law does cover for this period.

My biggest concern (aside from paying for my phone to be fixed, for what I feel is a design/manufacturing issue) is that I'm going to have to give in my phone and be without it for a period and also probable have to re load all my apps and music which is a pain and also loose my nice Spigen screen protector ( I do have a spare but the one that's on the phone actually went on with no bubbles :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 37 jimboroony

Interesting. I read through the warranty stuff on the Apple website and it does seem to suggest that Irish consumer law covers 6 years and that the Apple 1 year warranty is offered in addition to statutory cover. I just found it a little unclear as to what consumer law does cover for this period.

My biggest concern (aside from paying for my phone to be fixed, for what I feel is a design/manufacturing issue) is that I'm going to have to give in my phone and be without it for a period and also probable have to re load all my apps and music which is a pain and also loose my nice Spigen screen protector ( I do have a spare but the one that's on the phone actually went on with no bubbles :) )

**Firstly the onus is on you to prove it's a manufacturing problem. This proof would simply be to tell them that it is the original phone that has never ever been dropped or damaged. You have your bit done at this point.

It's over to the vendor at this point to repair or replace. The whole thing is not very clear cut and operates as a bit of give and take. I would suggest that any Iphone should reasonably be expected to operate if kept in good condition for 3-4 years without wear and tear breaking it. If you brought a 5 year old Iphone into them and looked for free repair/replacement I would say that it would be unreasonable.

Warranty is of no concern when your going this route so I wouldn't entertain even the mention of the word 'warranty'.

Yes you would be without your phone unfortunately.

Backup your phone with iTunes. That'll sort your apps etc problem. I advise to set all new iPhones as new. Old phones always carry legacy glitches in the backups. That's a fact.

Remember you want it fixed under your right as a consumer. That's the line you stick to. Don't leave the shop until it's boxed and sent off. Be nice if you can and understand that the shop workers are under a lot of pressure themselves. **

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

jimboroony wrote: »

Remember you want it fixed under your right as a consumer. That's the line you stick to. Don't leave the shop until it's boxed and sent off. Be nice if you can and understand that the shop workers are under a lot of pressure themselves. **

You'll probably find most shops won't have a clue about this. You would then need to write to the shop you brought it from, or Head Office giving them 10 days to fix it, or you will initiate Small Claims Court procedures.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭sandyxxx

SandyXXX, Did you have to pay for the replacement? I asked Vodafone whether my phone was covered, but the answer was vague at best.

Meteor didn't wanna know about it when they heard it was a replacement phone,tried to wash their hands of it & fob me off. I went the consumer law route (apple resellers idea)
    I went to comreg & then Irish consumer association (I think).
    Itl fell between 2 stools in a Irish consumer law!
    As luck had it I came across a contact who worked for APPLE who agreed to take the case in!
    .....the screen issue was not in the public domain at the time but I sensed it wasn't the first time they came across it!
    .....,so NO!after all that effort I got yet another replacement phone (no payment was required),sold it for €450 and bought a 7!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Sorry to dig this thread up but I'm experiencing the issue with my iPhone 6. My local iPhone repairer says he's never come across it before, which is quite unbelievable, but he can't fix it as a result.

The issue is driving me mad - any recommendations on places in Ireland that can fix?

I'm going to repair it and buy an Android phone, Apple have lost me for good after this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭jakdublin

My screen became unresponsive with weird lines around the top of the screen. I was convinced it was the screen but turned out to be a faulty logic board. It's a problem with the 6 plus as it bends in the pocket, which fits as it's awkward to pull from the pocket when sitting. Got mine repaired for €120 at Omni Park in Santry a few weeks back. Would recommend the guy. He's done a couple of jobs for me over the years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭John_Mc

Thanks yeah my phone was a bit bent so that could be it. I don't have any display issues, it's just the touch that stops working. Will check him out thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Friend had an iPhone 6 and he couldn't find anywhere in Limerick to fix the "touch disease" so he found an eBay listing where you send the guy in the UK your phone and he repairs and sends it back.

If you ebay search "touch ic service" it should come up. Cost him about 70 euro I think but he got phone back working with perfect touch

Advertisement